April 2017 Favorites

Hey, everyone! Thanks for coming out to the first guest plot event of the season!

In the 7-1/2 years I've been playing, I had never NPCed before, so thanks for your patience and cooperation - especially on the cave tour mod, which was not only my first mod as an NPC: I also ran it alone. :)

Thanks to all of the new players who NPCed with us. Hugs to all of the people who helped out with food for the weekend, and those who assisted in sorting and packing up monster camp after game-off.

My favorite moment of the event was during the Plume Queen vs. Harroc fight. It was pretty quiet, and then I hear behind me: "This is awesome."

I'm super glad the Plume Queen was well-received, in general. I had to finish parts of her costume during the event, and was super excited to finally put it all together.

I also really liked playing the King's Crows person. Super-spies are the best. The "murder house" mod also went really well, and I'm glad I got to be there for it.

The biata mind torturers were fun. I would have liked to RP more as that character, but it took some hindsight to figure out what else I would have done.

Dan's gelkk construct. Prop monsters are pretty rare, so it was a treat to have one at this event. It was also fun to play the construct's giant arm.

Painting up Kannanor's furry face. I've always been afraid of smothering my own skin in makeup (it's really not good for me), but it was fun to decorate a couple other NPCs, despite their restlessness.

I got to wear my favorite Emilynn dresses, which I probably haven't seen since Emilynn wore them. I hadn't been expecting to find them in monster camp. We have like a billion tabbards, but we also have a surprising amount of other decent costume pieces that I had no idea existed. (Now they just need to be washed. Maybe thrice.)

Adrianna (my cave tour guide) was probably the nicest biata in Bomae.

Picking up people in the Plume Tomb fight and bringing them back to the group. Dan started doing that, and I think it was really needed. There was one time I picked up Fiona and Socora: I picked up Fiona first and dropped her off with the bulk of the adventurers, and then Socora. By the time I had dropped off Socora and started wandering away, I found Fiona back where she had been, on the ground, before I picked her up...

Speaking of Fiona and Socora, you two did really well keeping it together during the meeting with the viceroy. I knew the viceroy was just going to be an ***, so it was kind of hard to watch, but you guys were awesome, and I'm proud of you just for getting through that encounter.

As the wrathgate portal, I missed with the vast majority of the spell packets I threw, but I got Baleon with a Berserk, and that was pretty satisfying because Josh actually knew what to do once he got hit.

Rick was awesome as Kannanor. And there was one moment during that fight when like ten people were suddenly on the ground around the wrathgate portal. I'm glad no one died, but that was a really satisfying moment from the NPC side.

As that guy who generally npcs It was fantastic to get to roll out a new(ish) PC as I was trying out character #5 (if you think that's a lot, remember I've been playing for about 13 years)

First off I gotta say the npcs where amazing, I can't decide which is better, seeing long term players running mods and weaving the story, or all the new folks that picked things up so quickly and had a great attitude.

Props to the Props, had a lot of fun ideas they were made reality

MWE Command hatred, really enjoyed hearing after the game how close I came to getting rolled at times, nothing like walking a fine line!

Spirit Linked Shield - Whoops, twelve years I haven't made that much of a rookie mistake (to the point where I constantly joke about such dangers ^.^)

Running around with a total of 16 whole spells and basic armor, fun to try to do a lot with little!

A splendid event for me to return to my fix that is LARP and a splendid job of the guest plot team to create such a vivid atmosphere of the messed up country that is Bomae.

-Rick telling me after the the Desmodu fight that he was impressed with both my combat and RP that fight. That meant a lot to me!
-By some teamwork and selling I was able to acquire both my regen and the preserve for it, as well as all the components.
-Though there were only two Sentinel's at the event I felt more like I had a group to roll with than ever before.
-Meeting Bruisy and finally having another Barbarian to interact with has been something I have been looking for for a long time.
-On the rescue the Selunari mod, Alexanders torturer knowing all the buttons to press to make Ragnarok truly upset. I never though I would see an NPC take advantage of that kind of information.
-Getting to use the shield of Achuak not for that magic but the idea of using a shield that was once the Harroc's
-Meeting the Yara, expecting a real tribe of fierce warriors and instead finding a bunch of retired hippies. Still awesome and really forced Ragnarok to consider if he wanted to retire then and there. While he didn't I know know where he will retire eventually.
-I found more use out of my resist fear than my resist element.
-Performing my second life dash with the Quelee belt for Bruisy.
-Watching the Plume Queen and the Harroc show down in a truly terrifying battle.
-I had asked the Plume Queen in the middle of the fight what she looked like and Mariah was really chill and totally rolled with it and walked into the light so I could get a good look at her costuming. This leads to the secondary list...

ALL THE AWESOME PROPS AND COSTUMES

-The Plume Queens robes and crown and especially the dreadlocks. Unexpected but very good looking.
-The bones of the Plume Queen were kinda creepy to be standing next to since they looked so real.
-Viceroy Setterstrom. The purple and aura of regalia about him was truly stunning. Additionally that claw hand was freaking awesome.
-The Bonesmith's shield. I was distracted by it throughout the fight by just how cool looking it is.
-The Wrathgate portal was amazing and only got better as the cords snapped and it was tossed about like an unstable portal.
-The Gelk's out of control construct looked both awesome and suitably like an old car for me to be very happy with what I saw.
-The 'Construct Catylist' is just an old car alternator. Its my new favorite catylist rep now.

And I'm sure I'm forgetting more props but those are the most prominent in my mind. Just great guys!

Thanks for running a really fun event!

Favorites for me, in no particular order :

Lots of mods that were more than combat. I love seeing puzzles and challenges that require more thinking than swinging pipe.

Demolitions! That was honestly the first time this decade that I've gotten to use Legerdemain for anything useful, and both the in-game effect and the really neat prop for the trap were awesome.

Pretty much everything about the Axe of Ivar Diamond-Crusher. Cool props, cool mod concepts (back to the 'not just fighting down a path' bit above), throat mangling language... nothing but fun even if I'm too slow to win a duel these days. ;)

Murder house! I was hoping to go 2 for 2 with useful Legerdemain, but poor player impulse control always makes fun situations, and hallucinating is a blast to RP while trying to explain a puzzle mod theory.

All in all, I had fun, and it was great to see folks.

-Kiefer

This was a fantastic event, though I walked away feeling every bit of it. I am out of shape and it's been a while since I've run around with that armor on. :p

The Kannanor fight was fantastic. The tunnel fight on the way in was the cleanest, most orderly line fight we've had in a long time, and it only accentuated how much things fell apart when we got into the woods. The portal was awesome.
I would never have guessed, if I didn't already know, that Kannanor was Rick's first Big Bad. It's tough playing that sort of role and Rick did a great job.
For that matter, Rick did a great job all weekend! I had to keep reminding myself that this was only Rick's second time on plot, and maybe fourth time NPCing.
The Gelk construct was great to see. It really drives home the authenticity when you look out in the darkness and see something that's not shaped like a person.
Murder house was fun. I like how we found the key to the main puzzle, said "that's weird", set it aside, and just started dressing up the statue with all of the props. :) (First rule of plot, PCs are dumb)
The meeting with the Viceroy was great. Socora and Fiona did a great job of laying out the reasons Bomae should work with us (seriously, there was some fantastic roleplay in this scene) while the Viceroy completely shut them down with just the thiiiiinnest veneer of civility. Roff's pitch that Bomae should stop murdering Selunari was probably doomed from the beginning, but he made a good effort!
The petty treasure box was just icing on the cake.
Rimespring Cavern! I don't know that it was even really possible for us to all die there, but it certainly felt like it was going to happen a few times.
"Hey so where do we find some jerk Gelk?"
My new Aether Leap bandana! I went around half the night thinking I got a small one but it was just folded over. Oops.
The Capitalists have a Perm scroll now! We've gone from being 1/2 of the way into making a decent 5-year weapon, to about 1/8 of the way to an awesome perm weapon. I guess that's a lateral move?

I'm sure I'm forgetting many things, but overall the event was huge amounts of fun, the props and costuming were all great, and I can tell the guest plot team put a lot of love into this event. I can only hope my team will meet the same level of quality come August. :)

Last edited:
I was really happy to return as a member of a guest plot. Once again it makes me really respect those in the whole LARP community who have done and continue to do plot on a regular basis. It was pretty exciting/terrifying to be able to step up for this guest plot with less experienced members on our team and I'm just happy that people seemed happy with the things that I put together (mods, props, IBGA's, and more).

From the NPC/Plot side of things here are some favorites in no particular order:
-Writing IBGA's, being a bit overeager and making them a bit longer than they maybe should have been.

-The Gelkk bomb rep. I admit that I bought a lot of balloons (which is what made the pop) and "tested" it repeatedly while giggling to myself.

-Gelkk joy buzzers.

-The Crow's of Gaden. As a player who has been on the receiving end of military plot I was thrilled to be able to add my own flair to it for others to enjoy.

-The Axe of Ivar Diamond Crusher. Thanks to Alexander for coming up with a really cool MI, thanks to Kyle for the Axe itself, and lastly thanks to all the players who participated in some of my favorite mods to have run.

-The "Murder House", that mod went even better than I could have hoped. Thanks to Josh Clark for giving it a memorable name!

-Kannanors Shield. I'm going to miss that thing, even though I only got to use it once. Peoples reactions to it made it all worth it and I'm glad we were able to keep it "under wraps" for an intimidating reveal. A point of interest for folks, the runes on the shield aren't random and actually say something in old Norse Runes!

-Playing Kannanor the Bonesmith. Thanks to everyone who let me beat them up! But in all seriousness Kannanor was my first real Big Bad Guy and I'm really happy that my performance as Kannanor seemed to be well received.

-Mortimer Ibifamus the ancient unibrowed Biata. He had more plot behind him but we just didn't have the time!

-The Perfect Storm!

-My first time playing a Pantherghast for a group of mostly new people who wandered off looking for excitement!

-Stare downs with Jasper during the Kannanor fight and eventually trying to hunt him down! Well done on other peoples parts making it too difficult for me to try and drag him away.

I'm sure there are a lot more. It was fantastic to see players/characters new and old come out and do some amazing things this event. I'm really happy to have been part of an event during this historic year in our chapters life. I can't wait to see what both the regular plot team and the next guest plot teams have in store for us and will excitedly be joining all of you on the other side of the fence in the coming months!

This was such a great event with so many favorites here are a few of mine personally.

Dave breaking Roff's shuns almost causing Roff to blow up and me OOG being super excited because I thought it was hilarious but in game Roff becoming just absolutely shocked and mystified about what just happened.

Double sneak hurdling tree logs in order to terminate the bonessmith and it actually taking. That was just super satisfying!

Roff becoming gold hungry after becoming the poorest he has ever been down to a single copper at the lowest point

The murder house and everything into it especially going in with Roff having a copper and seeing a giant chest and of course opening it because gold and a whole room of looting!!!

Being able to meet a lot of new characters and interact with a lot of characters Roff has never been able to talk to much because his main "group" was absent

Hiding feared fighters in the way back of the lines so all the MWEs would save there break commands for more important commands Sleep, berserk, etc

The amazing props and characters everything about looks this whole event was amazing!

The meeting with the viceroy that went 1000% better then expected while attempting to negotiate massive ideas while somehow avoiding becoming either killed for bringing a selenari or other extreme situations or imprisonment

Pointing to myself at least 100 times when everyone was always saying every bomaian is awful and evil.

Feeling smart for actually having and being able to recognize the biata language instantly and the rewarding process of the letter translations. Thanks again everyone who helped decode that would be terrible alone.

So many more great things this was a amazing event that I was glad I could make!!

Last edited:
A lot of my favorite moments this time seem to be Gronk Centric so here are the Gronk involved ones...
Gronk and his feders before the meeting with the Viceroy had a real vegas show girl feel and just really mad me chuckle.
Gronk Perrying a Cure Crit Wounds spell strike from this odd plant thing and healing himself with the blow.
Gronk and Illana being the last ones to encase on the well and really hoping we weren't all about to be encased forever.
Gronk letting us all know just how serious squire Fiona was when Grognak the orc kept suggesting someone lick the cocoons of the bat things.
Now onto the non Gronk related ones...
Rick playing an awsome Panthergast for us newbies that had really never seen such a thing.
The whole fight memory of the Plume Queen.
The orginazation and order of the fight leading to the Portal and then it all falling apart so quickly.
Rags amazing run to pick me up after I died. Helps if you can see to know if you are un pinned mass chaos + being new and forgetting how pins work.
Honor duels even though I didn't win either of them.
Alexanders directions to the bone door when he was charmed.
The mental torture of the rescue mission. And Alexander trying to include me but not knowing anything about my past.

Rags amazing run to pick me up after I died. Helps if you can see to know if you are un pinned mass chaos + being new and forgetting how pins work.

I take care of my own ;):D

Lots of fun stuff this weekend, including:

-Walking into town and realizing there were so many MWEs that I wouldn't be able to use my commands so freely this weekend, then immediately being told there was a use for my commands by the Squire and GRONK
-Getting information out of the Bonesmith's son, before and after he was charmed
-The Gelkk construct prop awesomeness
-The amazing organization of the tunnel fight pushing through the Bonesmith's cave. Who needs Knights and Lords to lead us when we have more then enough shields!
-Missing the mod where archers were needed but then getting to go on the Pantherghast fight with a bunch of people who had never seen one.
-Knowing there was a secret Gerty didn't want me to know and somehow avoiding obsessing over it entirely
-"I think that shield's spirit locked to that guy! When he dies, I'm gonna jump on it, then it'll be mine!" Jokes Kalith. "Jokes" Kalith....

Other things too, but that's my list.

Had lots of fun in SoMin
  • It was exciting to go to somewhere new but still see some familiar friends and faces.
  • I looked fabulous
  • Some adventurers gave me a silvered polearm in the middle of the tunnel fight
  • Getting said silvered polearm reinforced by master smith Ignatius
  • Being the only Sarr was kinda strange, yet refreshing.
  • Kalith getting stuck with the spirit locked shield he can't even use
  • Getting Kalith out of my seat while Keladry watched.
  • And probably most importantly, not falling asleep and dying on the drive home.

So, I got home from the event at 3:00 PM, took a shower, and decided to take a nap around 3:30. I then proceeded to wake up at 6:30 AM, 15 hours later. If that's not a measure of my exhaustion from this game, I don't know what is. Post-event soreness and tiredness aside, I had a lot of fun running this event and am really glad to hear folks had a good time! Here are a few of my favorites, in no order:
  • Shout-out to Rick, Mariah, and Dan for being my awesome Plot Team! Y'all were all amazing throughout the entire process, and I am eternally grateful to have had you for this endeavor!
  • Shout-out to all my NPCs, and especially the new players! What is it with Guest Plot events that makes amazing new player NPCs crawl out of the woodwork? :) Y'all just jumped right in to the action and did an incredible job with whatever we asked you to do!
  • "Well, at least it's still a once-ever life." - Greg, the Asher
  • Roff actually having a copy of the Biata script, making the coded note deciphering process much easier.
  • Rick was perfect for Kannanor the Bonesmith, and that whole fight went exactly the way I hoped it would. Plus, I finally got to see the fancy shield and fancy portal I made in action!
  • "It is an honor to meet with you, your Highness." "I assure you, the honor is all yours." The whole Viceroyal meeting was a lot of dead-serious fun, all topped off with the perfect tokens of the Viceroy's gratitude. ;)
  • Rimespring Cave!
  • PCs' reactions to the hand buzzers for the Gelkk, especially when I got an unsuspecting Benjamin on the shoulder and made him jump a mile.
  • The Perfect Storm!
  • Super fancy Aether Leap bandanas and the PCs' excitement at the opportunity of getting them! Thanks again to Skye for making those happen!
  • Dan's big Gelkk construct! I loved the PCs' reactions when it came around the corner, as well as getting to give the PCs a heavy chunk of old machinery as loot.
  • Mariah's outfit for the Plume Queen! I especially liked the Plumed Crown headdress and her eyebrows.
And no doubt so much more that I'm just not remembering at the moment. Thanks again to Dave for this Guest Plot opportunity and to everyone for coming out to witness it! I'm way excited to see what the other Guest Plot teams have in store for us this year, and I hope they have just as much fun planning their events as we did with this one!

I am sorry to be so late in my feedback and favorites - especially seeing I was able to play such a key role with Squire Fiona!

I don't even know were to start, which beyond being exhausted all week, has stalled my response. I should get Jay to write this as he got an ear full and then some when I got home - don't know if he understood all of it, but that is besides the point :)

• The riding of the Gryphon Winds - no less than 5 times for me & getting to drive those winds twice
  • Going on a Cave Tour with Biata Adrianna, solving a simple puzzle to a burial site of a young Gryphon, Binks accidentally loosing the cremation ashes while being attacked by tornado like winds with weapons, finding a letter to the young Gryphon from the former Plume Queen, Sigrid
  • The big fight with Kannanor the Bonesmith. Did you know that keeping MWE's together is kind of like herding cats? Much fun slipping through the woods (or stalagmites, stalactites & bones)
  • Finally getting Socora's long standing wish of meeting with one of the Vicroys. Yes, he was a "not nice person", but seriously did we really think that he would be any better? Socora still has words to send to him while "thanking" him for his audience. :p Alexander, as always, you made a puke character a blast to RP with :)
  • Oh, the delegates who went with us to see the Vicroy - GRONK going out of his way for his lady to look his most fierce and amazing in his headdress, worrying that Roff was going to get Jamina killed by bringing a Selanari to a high level Biata (sigh), watching Squire Fiona fight the urge to toss Vicroy Setterstrom's "gift" back in his face
  • The whole RP with Plume Queen Sigrid's spirit and the challenges she set before us!! Mariah you were an amazing queen - so beautiful and gracious
  • Rick & Dan, your various characters were a blast to interact with and fight - you were both amazing as always
  • New NPC's!!! You were so much fun! Thank you so much for coming and helping out. We are all excited to see you again.
I want to especially say THANK YOU to all my Tavern helpers, who allowed me to mostly stay out of the kitchen and enjoy all the interactions that I could stay awake for! Emma B, Emma D, Sloan - thank you for taking such a lead on things.
To ALL who helped with the cooking, serving and clean up - again THANK YOU!! <3

Back