Archers of Alliance, how do you arch? [Question dump]

Axle

In my thirst to know all the things I now have a bunch of questions about archery. Please feel free to answer as many or as few you like.

Where do you get your arrows? What's the best(cost effective) way to get a lot?

What do you use for your quivers? I hear that you need a physrep for every 20 arrows you have on hand. Do you actually have your packets stored in them or are they just there to justify you having more arrows?

Crossbows or regular bows? Why?

How do you get around monster resistances? Do you just need to batman utility belt silver arrows? Are magic arrows a thing?

What does a typical combat strategy for you typically look like?

How do you deal with melee people getting all up in your grill?

Cool combat stories?

Either get lots of blacksmith yourself, or find someone to order them from. Occasionally they'll drop as loot.

What do you use for your quivers? I hear that you need a physrep for every 20 arrows you have on hand. Do you actually have your packets stored in them or are they just there to justify you having more arrows?

It's worth noting that you can have a larger quiver... you just have to meet the size requirements for the number of "quiverfulls" you want to assign. So if you've got a bag big enough for 2 quivers, you can totally have 40 packets on hand. Most people store packets in them, since carrying around empty pouches is kind of silly... but you can totally have decorative quivers that don't actually hold things for your representations.

Crossbows or regular bows? Why?

Crossbows have higher base damage and can be used for waylay currently. Regular bows can be used to block.
People who anticipate actually getting up in the combat prefer regular bows.

How do you get around monster resistances? Do you just need to batman utility belt silver arrows? Are magic arrows a thing?

A Magic aura on the bow will confer the Magic carrier to arrows. People don't tend to silver the ammo though... rather, alchemy has an item called Quicksilver that you can have an alchemist with a shop put on arrows pretty efficiently.

How do you deal with melee people getting all up in your grill?

Either you've got a regular bow and can block while you pull out a melee weapon, or you're using magic or alchemy to force them out of your grill.

I don't exclusively use my bow. So, there are events where I tend to use a lot of arrows, or a little arrows. I buy my arrows in 500's or 1000's.

Here's the section on rules on quivers from the ARB

ARB Page 83 said:
Quivers: An archer may not have more arrow or bolt tags on them than they have room for in their quivers. One quiver may hold up to 20 arrows or bolts. A quiver is defined as any pouch or container whose dimensions are a minimum volume of 64" with no dimension smaller than 1". A foam phys rep of a quiver may also be used. For each multiple of the maxi- mum quiver volume, a quiver can hold an additional 20 arrows or bolts.

You may carry as many quivers as you are able.

I have a really nice leather quiver. It's huge. It's made for real arrows. That's my show quiver. I put arrows in it. But, it's what I use as my quiver.

Then when I'm prepping for an event, I have 5-10 pringles packages that I have duct tapped that I stuff arrows into. I don't carry them all on me. But, when I stop to my cabin I swap them out. I have a backpack with a few on me at all times. And when I need to quickly reload, I pop the top on one and quickly dump it into my actual quiver.

Pringles cans are inexpensive enough that if I lose one, it's no big deal.

Pretty much every game I play in doesn't have magic to hit on any monsters. That being said, I have a magic bow.

When I'm playing arrows only, I'll stick with celestial casters. Mixing the wand and arrow packets makes your arrow packets pretty hard to block.

Depending on who's around or how I can help, I swap from archery to weapons. I carry 2 swords as well.
I have a sword holsters like this one.
upload_2017-10-26_12-46-59.png
When I get moved on it makes it really easy to pull a sword out in my other hand and fight.

In my thirst to know all the things I now have a bunch of questions about archery. Please feel free to answer as many or as few you like.
Mods and a friendly Master Blacksmith in my group

In my thirst to know all the things I now have a bunch of questions about archery. Please feel free to answer as many or as few you like.What do you use for your quivers? I hear that you need a physrep for every 20 arrows you have on hand. Do you actually have your packets stored in them or are they just there to justify you having more arrows?
I have 3 of these http://www.darkknightarmoury.com/p-5190-suede-pouch-large.aspx. One for Arrow only one for spell packs and one that i will fill with one or the other depending on the event.

In my thirst to know all the things I now have a bunch of questions about archery. Please feel free to answer as many or as few you like.Crossbows or regular bows? Why?
I use a long bow for the blocking

In my thirst to know all the things I now have a bunch of questions about archery. Please feel free to answer as many or as few you like.How do you get around monster resistances? Do you just need to batman utility belt silver arrows? Are magic arrows a thing?
we have a few people the use silver arrows but I generaly use magic in those case as i am a scholar.

In my thirst to know all the things I now have a bunch of questions about archery. Please feel free to answer as many or as few you like.What does a typical combat strategy for you typically look like?
Cauliflower arrows in bow hand and stand second line. Use disarm spell to drop shields and attacking melee the break past the line.

In my thirst to know all the things I now have a bunch of questions about archery. Please feel free to answer as many or as few you like.How do you deal with melee people getting all up in your grill?
Use disarm spell to drop shields and attacking melee the break past the line. Also commands and bindo

In my thirst to know all the things I now have a bunch of questions about archery. Please feel free to answer as many or as few you like.Cool combat stories?
Killed a fleeing goblin by hitting it on the top of it leading foot as stated to run.

Additionally, if you're looking to use archery as a combat supplement, I've seen people build their bows to curve within the silhouette of their shield, so they can just draw the bow and dump the shield in a pinch.

1) Where do you get your arrows? What's the best(cost effective) way to get a lot?

My character lucked out and had the opportunity to purchase a logistics period full production and a batch per event for 2 or 3 events from a Master Blacksmith. Stock up while the getting is good.

2) What do you use for your quivers? I hear that you need a phys rep for every 20 arrows you have on hand. Do you actually have your packets stored in them or are they just there to justify you having more arrows?

I am not aware of a rep per quiver rule. You must have the appropriate volume pouch for the number or quivers you want to carry. I use a modified pleather purse from Walmart. The volume allows for 8 quivers.

3) Crossbows or regular bows? Why?

Long Bow. Blocking and RP quarks my character has.

4) How do you get around monster resistances? Do you just need to batman utility belt silver arrows? Are magic arrows a thing?

Swiss Army Quiver is a thing and a useful one. Once you have the means and a friendly Alchemist with a lab, Coatings. You can break thresholds, shutdown choice enemies, and even emergency fixes on teammates. Quicksilver coatings are easier to come by then Silver arrows. Being friendly with a ritualist is a good idea too. Magic arrows aren't a thing but magic Items and spells such as Magic blade, Elemental blade, and Earth Blade are.

5) What does a typical combat strategy for you typically look like?

Border line Rogue-ish. I fight to the flanks, attack at odd angles with well placed shots, and hold chokepoints.

6) How do you deal with melee people getting all up in your grill?

The bow is an excellent blocking weapon and two weapon with short sword is a must.

A side from that, My Archer is an Earth Templar. Your experiences may be vastly different. Bindo-mancy and Curses are my friends.

I mostly stocked up on my arrows with goblin stamps. 100 goblin stamps spent per event NPC'd earned me 200 arrows each time. Once I built up around 1200 arrows, I felt confident coming into game. I try to keep the stock high with in-game purchases and a small bit of blacksmithing skill.

I have four leg quivers. I suspect, based on their size, that they might each legally be double quivers, but I have never needed to hold more than 80 arrows at a time, so I haven't bothered checking. These were custom made by a leathersmith.

Long bow. I have two weapon and a short sword and switch back and forth smoothly mid combat. I am a Scout, so I can rogue pretty well, too.

My bow used to be elemental (lightning). That has expired. But my damage is high enough that I can usually qualify for a blade spell when casters are offering.

I treat my bow pretty much like an automatic weapon. I have such a large stock of arrows and hold so many at a time that I simply speed fire, rather than picking and choosing my targets. Since I can switch to two-weapon easily, I tend to hold my ground even when the enemy is advancing and simply fight in melee when forced to (or when there is a good rogue opportunity).

Like I said, I switch styles and swing modest damage with my short sword. The bow is pretty much a long skinny shield and blocks really well. Occasionally, when I don't want to deal with melee damage, I just drop a Terminate into whatever enemy is getting into my grill.

-MS

I mostly stocked up on my arrows with goblin stamps. 100 goblin stamps spent per event NPC'd earned me 200 arrows each time. Once I built up around 1200 arrows, I felt confident coming into game. I try to keep the stock high with in-game purchases and a small bit of blacksmithing skill.

I have four leg quivers. I suspect, based on their size, that they might each legally be double quivers, but I have never needed to hold more than 80 arrows at a time, so I haven't bothered checking. These were custom made by a leathersmith.

Long bow. I have two weapon and a short sword and switch back and forth smoothly mid combat. I am a Scout, so I can rogue pretty well, too.

My bow used to be elemental (lightning). That has expired. But my damage is high enough that I can usually qualify for a blade spell when casters are offering.

I treat my bow pretty much like an automatic weapon. I have such a large stock of arrows and hold so many at a time that I simply speed fire, rather than picking and choosing my targets. Since I can switch to two-weapon easily, I tend to hold my ground even when the enemy is advancing and simply fight in melee when forced to (or when there is a good rogue opportunity).

Like I said, I switch styles and swing modest damage with my short sword. The bow is pretty much a long skinny shield and blocks really well. Occasionally, when I don't want to deal with melee damage, I just drop a Terminate into whatever enemy is getting into my grill.

-MS
So these leg quivers they sound awesome. Do you have any pictures?

Sadly, not any particularly good ones.

Quick description: They attach to a belt at the top and they buckle around the leg at the bottom. Otherwise, they look like a flat quiver, just on the leg instead of the back.

-MS

During one massive battle in Seattle, I was carrying around a five foot long duffle bag with 1000 arrows in tags attached to it. With around 200 arrow packets inside.

Back