Armor Pauldrons with Hauts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Durnic

Knight
I just ordered a set of plate pauldrons which will look much like the ones in this picture, including the hauts (or "blade breakers") which come up at a sharp angle from the shoulders. Page 80 of the rulebook states, "Jutting edges on sheet metal armor should be avoided." Would these pauldrons be disallowed at an Alliance event with these hauts?

From the look of it, those edges would destroy foam weapons with a single blow, cutting right through the foam and exposing the weapon core, so I would not pass that armor. If you could somehow pad or dull those edges significantly, that may be a solution.

Upvote 0
As a matter of what the rules dictate, it is ultimately up to the marshal's discretion. While not outright banned, as noted, the rulebook suggests "avoiding" them - the idea being it's better to just not run into "but the marshal in chapter X lets me use them"-type discussions, and that, whether or not the pieces are "safe enough", not having them is certainly safer.

Upvote 0
OrcFighterFTW said:
From the look of it, those edges would destroy foam weapons with a single blow, cutting right through the foam and exposing the weapon core, so I would not pass that armor. If you could somehow pad or dull those edges significantly, that may be a solution.
The hauts are rolled and dulled but I see your point.

I'm having these custom made so I sent an email to the blacksmith asking him not to include them on the final pauldrons.

Thanks guys!

Upvote 0
Personally i would have to see something unusual to reject that armor.

Joe Siegel
Weapons Marshal Alliance NJ, HQ & Gettysburg
Rules marshal Alliance Gettysburg

Upvote 0
Personally, I would need to inspect it to make a final decision.

In my experience, the rounder the edge the better. I suspect I would pass it, but I can't say I would/wouldn't pass it without inspecting it.

It is safe to say there is risk of not passing, though.

Seth Bird
SEA/ORE Marshal

Upvote 0
Consensus seems to be: "They stand a chance of rendering the piece unusable, pending approval per individual chapter's marshals. Safe bet is to avoid them."

Locking topic.

:zonks:

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back