Augustus The One More

jwconvery

Spellsword
"Turns out that Lycergis is just an anagram for Augustus! We are ruled by the Lich King himself even after all that hubub about giving up the crown and retaking the capital city from undead."

Lycergis gave up a crown? Who's Augustus? Is that the creature in the mountains collecting the undead? This person doesn't know what anagram means. I'm new in these lands, is this a concern?

-Gideon

Gideon, Augustus was the previous king, Lycergis have the crown as a peace offering and show of good faith to the kingdom of alacard and the reason most people call the capital city "the old capital" is because the capital was overrun by undead until fairly recently when we managed to get someone to the center of the city where I think they made a city sized haven of the living. However I am not positive what they did to clear the undead, I was just there to help them get to the center.
Let me know if you need anything else clarified, but this just seems like more fearful rumormongering among the people.

Ardos Irani
Selunari Defender

Why would a king give up his crown to another nation? "As a show of good faith, here's the symbol of my rule. I hope people recognize me when I go out in public." Also, good faith in what? What did Lycergis receive from them? Peace treaty? Were they at war? What was so important that giving up the crown was needed? Was the physical crown a threat to this other nation in some way? Was it related to the dragon war? Seems like a strange decision, but I am not a king.

-Gideon

Gideon,

This is best suited for Mathis as he cares more about this and has been adventuring for much longer than I have, so he will know better than I.

As for the more recent, Lycergis gave up his crown (which to my knowledge is a powerful magic item/artifact) to the Kingdom of Alacar during the fight against Bleak as a show of good will between the two nations.

As for the past, I believe Lycergis took reign over Augustus because Augustus was found out to be a lich, and Lycergis had rights to the crown being back from the Time of Many Kings.

The Eastlands (Now the Kingdom of Dragonreach) used to be filled with Undead. Adventurers were able to fight through this easily enough, however The Old Capitol City was the major hub of the undead. This was right before my brothers and I started adventuring, however we partook in the war*. Lycergis** selected a number of commanders to lead this siege, defeat the undead, and claim the city as part of Dragonreach once again.

I honestly never paid much attention to this growing up.

-Banradi

*This is only due to some contracts created by the Celestines to go and fix some of the manipulations Bleak changed during the gather that Bleak manipulated time to his advantage (causing those not timeless or not physically at the gather to not be aware of these changes)
**Technically, this was Voth, although since Bleak removed Voth from existence, that just means that Lycergis took the seat earlier.

Last edited:
Thanks to you both for your information on this, apparently very complicated, subject.

This rumor does seem like more fear mongering, but rumors stem from somewhere/ something/ someone.
I am not generally concerned with the public opinion of royalty, but if Sir Mathis or someone more concerned needs my help, seek me out.

-Gideon

Just to clear this up. The crown in question belonged to the ancient Dwarven King Something Anvilstrike and was a powerful rune artifact. It was used as a component of the ritual that sealed bleak in the prison on vacuum. After bleak was release the crown still served to counteract many of his influence on the lands. Lycergis gave this crown to the kingdom of Alacar in order to help convince them to aid us the war against bleak.

Also Lycergis was in the line of succession in the time of in the age of the Augustuses but is not one of them, nor any other form of undead.

Lukas

That makes more sense. Thank you General Lukas.

-Gideon

I would have to look at a history book or two because my memory of these events is effected by my time as an adventurer and the actions of Bleak. As I recall Augustus was at one point an Emperor over much of the continent of Kundirk, during a time known as The Time of Many Kings. During this time his Majesty also had a claim to the throne of the area that is currently the Kingdom of Dragonreach, however due to a curse placed upon him and his knights he gave up that claim and willingly allowed himself and the others under the curse to be magically bound until the curse could be broken. Prior to the Time of Many Kings the kingdoms of Kundirk fought against Bleak's assault for the first time, a long running battle that included the creation of the Anvilstike's Crown (made for the Dwarf King Graven Anvilstrike) which offset "the Bleakness" effect that Bleak's presence brought upon the land and ended in Bleak's imprisonment by the Dwarves with the aid and sacrifice of many.

Around the time when Bleak was freed from her prison, the actions of some adventurers also convenient broke the seals on his Majesty's bindings and other adventurers were able to establish his claim to the Throne and undo the curse. This was fortunate because his Majesty's knowledge of the first battles against Bleak was particularly useful in the most recent fight. As General Lukas indicated, the Anvilstikes Crown was given to the Kingdom of Alacar to offset the Bleakness in that land and to secure Alacar's aid in the fight against Bleak.

As I indicated, this history may be off slightly due to the fact that Bleak muddled with the timeline and I haven't bothered to pick up a history book to relearn the history of the Kingdom following said muddling.

Travel safely,

Sir Mathis of the Order of the Emerald Flame
Knight to his Majesty Lycergis, King of Dragonreach

Back