The introductory passage to the Barbarian race in the rule book is as follows:

Barbarians come from nomadic tribes and
are unused to “civilized” society. They are a
very superstitious lot and may often perform
unusual small ceremonies to rid themselves of
their “curse.” (“Oh-oh! Seven hoblings just
crossed path! Bad luck! Now I must walk backwards
for an hour!”)

I'm wondering what the Barbarian players out there do for this part of role playing a Barbarian. As a player now with a full season and change under my belt, I'm going for more advanced role playing techniques to really develop a full character as true to the Barbarian traits as described in the rulebook as possible (A Barbarian's Barbarian). I know local race packets and chapter-specific tribes may outline certain things that a specific tribe has superstitions about, but I'm wondering what kinds of ceremonies one could perform as a Barbarian, having not really encountered that so far. What are some examples of things to do (other than walking backwards). Does anyone use props/ceremonial items to enhance this action? If so, what? I'm just looking for ideas to play around with.

The most obvious and notable tradition I've developed for my barbar is that she believes in "lucky acorns" - if you find an acorn that has fallen from a tree and has remained whole, it's a sign of good luck meant to be kept or given to trusted members of your traveling group, tribe, etc.
I didn't implement this immediately because I wanted to better scope out my home chapter; I had the general idea of the ceremony (that she found some naturally found but sometimes hard-to-get object lucky) but I wanted to better see the area and find an object that could sensibly be incorporated in that area. Given the high number of acorns I found, it seemed to make the most sense.
As far as roleplaying it goes, I have a mental list of the characters she's come to hold most dear. In the span of the event weekend, if I find (but do not necessarily seek out, because I feel that removes the "luck" of finding said unbroken acorns) an unbroken acorn, I keep it in a special pouch. If I find multiples, I give them to those people (in an order based on their relation to her) to keep. I only do this once per person per event to as to not make it annoying or too insistent, as it's more something she does to ensure her companions are safe between gatherings.
As far as roleplaying it outside of the action itself is concerned, it is, like all barbar traditions, something she takes very seriously, and so each time she gives an acorn to someone it's a gesture which, while she may be smiling, is something of serious personal importance. As far as she's concerned, that acorn could be the difference between life and death for herself or someone she loves.

Hey,
I've had a Barbarian (well, I did, she was recently race-changed into a wild elf, but the examples still stand) out here on the West Coast, at the Oregon chapter, for about 5 years. I started out with a pretty solid "mythology" for her superstitions and then let her go free IG and see where it went from there. I think it's rather hard to come up with things you can remember to do and aren't too difficult/off-putting!

-"lucky" necklaces. I wear probably about 20 necklaces when I play this character and they are all mean something. Since she's a fighter, her necklaces stand for courage, honor, protection from undead, protection from Celestial, etc etc. I carry numerous amulets, pouches, and charms for the same reason. I also make and give these necklaces to other characters who my character cares for. I can't say it better, so I agree with how Jovunn phrased her acorn-giving:
Jovunn said:
while she may be smiling, is something of serious personal importance. As far as she's concerned, that acorn could be the difference between life and death for herself or someone she loves.
-Purification rituals. If a barbarian (or friend) becomes "tainted" by Celestial (I have numerous ways of determining how much Celestial a person must be hit/affected by in order to deserve purification) I have a little ceremony to "purify" them. It is best to sit in a spot that is very "earthy". I place a circle around the tainted person (I have a long rope made out of leather). Then I have some incense that I wave around the person and smudge dirt on their faces and talk about the goodness of the earth. It's fun.
-Tattoos. My character has several tattoos that I put on every game that all follow the same principal as the necklaces- for luck and protection. They are also a way that her tribe shows it's loyalties, so she has a tattoo depicting the animal her tribe was named after, showing that she belongs to that tribe. I use this very neat, removable tattoo "paint" and I recommend it! http://www.mehandi.com/shop/harquusplatinum/index.html This stuff will stay on for an entire weekend, in most locations (I have trouble with the neck, since that's an area where clothing rubs more)
-Celestial casters. I refuse all contact with Celestial casters and would not accept even a "general" type spell from them. The casters are "tainted" and will pass that on if they touch me. I won't ever use a Celestial magic item and I avoid (as much as possible) touching scrolls.

Those are many of her eccentricities, and it's these little details that I think makes this character more fun for me to play! Good luck coming up with new things for your PC!

~Carmen
(Seattle/Oregon Chapters)

Back