Battlefield Tactics: Checking In and Checking Out With Your Allies

Traceroo

Rogue
Greetings Fellow Adventurers,

I'd like to introduce to some of you and remind others of the importance of checking in with your battle group, and equally "checking out" when you leave their company.

For example, there is a lull in an ongoing battle, and combatants are starting to repair armor, heal wounds, cure enduring magical effects and so forth. Enemies remain nearby and the fight is likely to renew momentarily. You may wish to step aside from your immediate "battle buddy" or group of adventuring companions for whatever reason -- Get armor repair or healing, check on someone else, what have you.

"Check out" of your battle group verbally. Tell the people you're with, preferably more than 1 person, that you're leaving. "I am going over there to talk to Alis." Let them know where you'll be, who you'll be with.

Then come back when your immediate business is finished, and "check in."
  • Your group knows where you are and can watch your back when battle resumes.
  • Your group doesn't waste time later trying to hunt for you in the confusion of battle to ensure that you're safe.
  • If you're not safe, your usual good habits will clue your group in that if you didn't check back in, something must be wrong, and they should come find you.
  • This good habit of actively checking out is most important when you're attached to unfamiliar or not customary allies in a fight. Your usual companions will know to look for you; an unfamiliar group of allies may not remember to do so when battle becomes hectic.
I should note also that this is a good adventuring habit in general, even off the battlefield. How many times have you been in the tavern, about to go on an adventure or some other business, and that one person in your party has wandered off? Nobody knows where she went, or when she'll be back. You have to hunt all over and delay your business to gather everyone together. The simple courtesy of letting at least 2 persons in your group of companions, or your court or adventuring party know where you're going will alleviate much of the disorganization, and temptation that your companions may feel to smother you in your sleep later.

Meanwhile, back on the battlefield, the benefits of clear verbal communication overall cannot be overemphasized. Squire Noah of Rivervale has a great habit in a fight which I know I appreciate very much. When he approaches an ally in battle, he states simply, "At your left," or, "I'm behind you," as appropriate. This is so helpful to anyone actively engaged in combat who then doesn't have to spare a glance to see who stands at their side. This is a good habit I encourage all of us to adopt.

In service to Acarthia,

Dame Katherine Albright
Knight of the Ducal Court of Acarthia

Back