[.11] Break Command

Draven

Count
If you do a BC on someone

1) that isn’t under a Command

2) and it’s interrupted

Can you Meditate it back?

Seems like it since it never is resolved against a defense?

Seems like it since it never is resolved against a defense?

It’s not a Martial/Stealth/Scholar skill, though, and Meditate is pretty specific as to what it applies to.

Well... Technically, even if you can Meditate back a Break Command, it would be considered successfully resolved per the rules for Meditate regardless of the outcome: if they have a Command effect on them, you break them out of it, and you can't Meditate it back; if they don't, they call No Effect, and you can't Meditate it back.

Oh yeah, good point, I agree with that. Getting interupted may still allow you to mediate it back though?

I would say that it wouldn't be expended if interrupted? Looking it up in the ARB 1.3, it only specifies that it's unsuccessful if interrupted, unlike the paragraph below that, where it says it's expended if the target isn't under a Command effect.

Actually, reading the Break Command section in 1.3, a few things are weird and should probably be clarified in 2.0:

1) It never specifies when you say you're using it; that is, the rules don't specify when you have to make the "Break Command" verbal. I suspect it's supposed to be at the beginning of the 10 second RP requirement, something like, but it's not stated so, which leads to weirdness number 2.

2) As noted above, it doesn't say that the ability is expended if you're interrupted, the way it does if the target isn't under the effect of any Commands to Break; since 1.3 doesn't have a genuine Focus mechanic the way 2.0 does, the timing of when you announce you're using the ability likely makes a difference in whether you interpret being interrupted counts as it being expended or not (if you think it should be announced at the start, you also probably think it should be expended, and vice-versa). But even if you announce it at the beginning of the RP and it's expended if you're interrupted, there's still weirdness number 3 (which admittedly is mostly an "I don't get why this is A Thing" weirdness").

3) It doesn't quite follow the 2.0 Focus rules, and in a VERY weird way; more specifically, it says that it's unsuccessful if the person you're using it on is attacked, but it is NOT unsuccessful if the user is attacked, so long as they don't use another Game Ability (Smart Defenses, most likely) and the conversation (RP requirement of the ability) isn't interrupted. This means that if you're using Break Command to wake up someone who is Sleeping and someone else comes along and whacks your target for "2 Normal", your attempt fails immediately; if that same person whacks YOU for "2 Normal", you can continue using the ability. This isn't noted as changed anywhere in the .11c packet, so presumably it's still part of Break Command intentionally, which... is just weird to me, since I can't think of any other Focus ability that's stopped by your target being attacked.

In the PNW, players typically announce Break Command at the completion of the RP, and the RP is pretty obvious to anyone witnessing it. But that might not be the same everywhere.

I can count on one hand the number of times I've personally seen it used up here in Calgary, and whether it was announced at the start or end seemed to depend entirely on who was using it; I'm not aware of any LCO rule one way or the other, but I play a Dryad most of the time, so it wasn't really high on my list of things to look up.

Back