Break

Heinricht

Artisan
Owner
Atlanta Staff
Page: 9 Break/Disarm Strike* Martial Daily, Meditatable Prerequisite: 1 per 20 Martial XP, Weapon Skill This skill allows the character to make a single attack with the call “Weapon Strike Break ” or “Weapon Strike Disarm .”

But their is no definition of what a broken item is? Already the conversation has come about as to what happens when an item is broken? What happens when a magic item is broken?

Page 23: Broken magical items are unable to use any instant or timed effects, until repaired or Mended.

Page 25: Items with Ritual effects will treat a Shatter or Explosive effect as a Break effect, but are otherwise immune to Break. A Broken magic item is unable to use any instant or timed effects until it has been repaired or Mended. An item that has been enchanted with the Render Indestructible ritual is immune to Shatter and Explosive effects outright.

RAW implies that a magic weapon could still be used as a regular weapon it just would no longer be able to use any instant or timed effects. Is this what happens or is a broken weapon or item (magical) unusable until repaired or mended?

UPDATED: after a lot of digging we found out the answer but I should not have to look at pages 9, 21, 23, 25, 36, and 39 to get a simple answer about what happens when an item breaks. I really wish the rules for shatter and break and how to repair them was consolodated in the book since right now you have to jump all over the place in multiple areas to get the right answer.

Thank you: David

Last edited:
The layout is definitely something that is on the top of the list for the final rulebook design, but not something that was prioritized for the Beta packet, as it was not a final product.

Given your update, were there still question you had regarding this or anything you were unable to find an answer to?

I'd like your thoughts on "RAW implies that a magic weapon could still be used as a regular weapon it just would no longer be able to use any instant or timed effects. Is this what happens or is a broken weapon or item (magical) unusable until repaired or mended?"

Being Broken is a state that impacts different types of items differently (which I’m still internally debating if I like or not).

Regular weapons/armor/items are unusable when Broken.

As a property of their “magicalness” ritually enchanted items lose their timed and instant effects when they become Broken, but retain their normal functionality.

A non-Rendered Magical Sword with the Race Reaver and Raging Strike Rituals is successfully Shattered: the user cannot use the RS charge until it is Repaired/Mended; but they can continue to swing Body as appropriate?

Likewise, a non-Rendered Magical Sword with just RS is successfully Shattered: the user cannot use the RS charge until it is Repaired/Mended; but they can continue to use the sword as a "normal" weapon.

¿Right?

Subsequent question, If I have previously used the Charge for any Imbuement and it is then Shattered, ¿can I keep swinging the flavour for the duration? I just can't use a Charge while Shattered until it is Repaired?

Yeah, that does create some odd dualities for Magical Weapons.

A non-Rendered Magical Sword with the Race Reaver and Raging Strike Rituals is successfully Shattered: the user cannot use the RS charge until it is Repaired/Mended; but they can continue to swing Body as appropriate?
Yeah.
Likewise, a non-Rendered Magical Sword with just RS is successfully Shattered: the user cannot use the RS charge until it is Repaired/Mended; but they can continue to use the sword as a "normal" weapon.
Right.
Subsequent question, If I have previously used the Charge for any Imbuement and it is then Shattered, ¿can I keep swinging the flavour for the duration? I just can't use a Charge while Shattered until it is Repaired?
Yeah.
Yeah, that does create some odd dualities for Magical Weapons.
Yeah, and I’m not sure that I like it. The problem, really, when you boil it down is Spirit Link/Lock and extenders (mostly?). The ability to effectively transfer or make some weird very temporary version of ownership with a 7th level spell is not what’s wanted, so saying “all rituals don’t work” isn’t the answer, but the middle ground between “doesn’t work at all” and “always works fine” is ideally where I’d want non-rendered magical stuff to live.

It seems as though Magical Weapons are the center of biggest Venn since they exist as both regular and Magic items simultaneously. I think you could align Magical Weapons with Magical Armor to resolve the disparity.

When Shattered, Magical Armor goes inert as armor (zero protective value) until Repaired and Refit; any persistent effects remain (e.g. Armored Shell, Spirit Link) but any instant or charge effects are inaccessible (e.g. Channel Armor).

So too, when Magical Weapons are Shattered, they go inert as weapons (can no longer swing for damage or block) until Repaired; any persistent effects (e.g. Spirit Link) are still in effect; but any instant effects (e.g. Raging Strike) are inaccessible until Repaired.

It would work for Magical Items as well: any persistent effect remains; any charged effect goes inert. Items would be specifically targeted by Shatters less often, but we'd need to know how they're affected in the case of Shatter-Scroll/Explosive Traps.

It is a straight-up Nerf to magical weapons (and implicit bonus to Claws and Natural Weapons), but it's consistent with the rule-set and seems to meet your intended goal.

Last edited:
It is a straight-up Nerf to magical weapons (and implicit bonus to Claws and Natural Weapons), but it's consistent with the rule-set and seems to meet your intended goal.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's the place it'll end up, for basically the reasons you outline above, but for now, it is what it is.

And, frankly, claws can probably use a bump.

Back