Calling All Puzzlers and Codebreakers!

Alex319

Artisan
We have seen in the past few months that the enemies of Acarthia have begun using ciphers to conceal their messages and have been securing their valuables behind devious and deadly puzzles. Thus, if we want to continue to fight our enemies, it behooves us to learn and share knowledge on how to solve such puzzles and break such ciphers.

To this end, I, Andrew the Bard, am planning to establish a Puzzlers' Guild in New Acarthia. The goals of this Puzzlers' Guild will be as follows:

- First, to catalog the types of puzzles and ciphers that have been found in New Acarthia and in our adventures elsewhere,
- Second, to teach and disseminate information on how to solve such puzzles and ciphers,
- Third, to be ready and willing to provide assistance to other adventuring groups in solving puzzles and ciphers should this become necessary.

Thus, I call for all of those with an interest in puzzles, codes, and/or ciphers to respond here, that I can see who is interested and we can make plans for how to organize such a guild. As I recognize that many have commitments elsewhere, I would like to ensure that any meeting times and such that we come up with work with the schedules of everyone who is interested.

At the August Gather, I plan to present the results of my research into the art and science of codebreaking, including a solution to the cipher that appeared in the May edition of the Acarthia Times. Following this presentation we can discuss future plans should anyone be interested.

For those who may be interested in trying their own hand at that cipher in advance of the gather, I reproduce it here:

----

The second piece first when the pranksters were out, the first piece second as the rivers melt.
A prize to those who can solve the pieces of my puzzle:

ILPXDIZMDYLKQSVVVRKCRMDIEMWLHLUJTRZPXNEXCQRQYZSIYZHFBZLELQJXBZXILPXDIBVOGJWIYIABSKHMZUMFJFZLATZWCMCGYHORPYUPCSIZKLRETTOATZTFBSXZYSYXUMNGYCAEW

GZLOWQQESGNZXTGMERBBMKNEGXLGJFZNEXCQRIYJTWTRPYIAVPEDSCGPPYESDDCBCHOWPRZRQUPHJXTVGNTXEZYIZPYSYUH

Sounds like a wonderful prospect. I know personally that having to solve riddles and puzzles in the field is an essential part of being a good adventurer, and good problem solving skills can be positive for everyone. Wonderful idea!
And, depending on the turn out, who knows? Perhaps the small Puzzle and Cipher Breaking guild could eventually evolve into a counter- espionage outfit!

Back