chainmail maker or chainmail making site

soleedge

Scholar
I am looking for a chainmail maker or chainmail site that could make colored chainmail (I am looking for green or blue). The colored chainmail shirts I can find are black and silver. Any help would be great.

Chris

http://www.theringlord.com offers a wide selection of colored rings and scales made out of some different materials. However, they don't offer a full shirt of the colored rings. You probably won't find a completed shirt from a company as they use specific, machine production units and they probably can't handle the annodized metal properly.

I've tried searching through ebay and such and I have no luck either.

I am sending out this message to any chainmail makers out there in the alliance. If anyone makes chainmail, I would be willing to pay for materials (since I am asking for a colored chainmail suit), labor and shipping. I would just need an estimate and we can go from there.

Chris

The only guy I know that would undertake it says that it would cost several hundred dollars - with measurements, he could give you a better quote. Not to mention though that by using the aluminum rings, the metal would be more likely to breach.

Two other options.

You can check with an overseas operation such as these guys: http://www.alibaba.com/product/in109362 ... hirts.html

And find out if they'll do special order and find out how much it will be.

Another option is to post on this board armourarchive.com although they are 'real armor' makers, they might have some lead on who would do the work and/or somewhere you might be able to look.

I had a suit of aluminum from thinkgeek site (someone got it for me as a gift). I basically anihilated that armor within a year since the rings were not welded or rivated. I need quality and I willing to pay for that.

I managed to find some brass colored chainmail:

http://www.medievalcollectibles.com/c-4 ... berks.aspx

But my mail guy (someone who has done a lot ringmail work in the last 10 years) is unable to locate anyone that has sealed colored rings. Most colors are on aluminum and you can't weld that with the machines that crank out the shirts. You could try sending an email to ringlords as they're your best US chance to find such a thing.

Oh, and before you ask, he'd be willing to make you such a shirt but it would cost you around $5K.
Mark

You have been a huge help with this search. I might just cave in and go with something from the collectible site ( I like the prices) or maybe I can have better luck with the green color in another style of armor ( leather or brigadine).

If I had 5k to splurge, I would so take your friend up on that offer.

You'd actually have better luck getting leather or scale/plate than rings- all of which tend to be either easier to paint or color what you need. Large amounts of what you're needing is essentially anodized aluminum or nothing.

Ringlords offer metal plates that are anodized aluminum in many colors. And you can see what a shirt of that looks like on a page of the rulebook of the Biata with the eyeglasses. or just below. It does take a little work but buying their split rings, it is rather brainless and not as bad on your knuckles as regular chainmail work.

contractionssmall.jpg

Something to keep in mind... anodized aluminum is much stronger, but more brittle and harder to work with but only if you want to bend it. It'll also hold up to inclement weather better. If scale would work for you, getting the anodized aluminum would probably net you a suit in the end that would stand up to years of abuse if properly cared for.

There's a reason they use it for airplanes.

>.> You're actually turning the surface into sapphires.

/Science!

Hey,

I am also planning on stocking chainmail and hopefully taking custom orders at my store when I finally get it open (see the below thread). I will be sure to keep you informed if I find anyone that will take the custom order.

-James aka Strago

just saw this thread- couple of thoughts:

first off, if you're really serious about welding rings together and having green chainmail- go copper! Copper turns green as it rusts, so the trick is in getting a consistent shade (if you care about such).

Second, aluminum (depending on your level of "hardcore-ness") CAN work- IF you use the heavier gauges. I'm talking 12 or 14 here- nothing less! I've known quite a few larpers over the years to use it without difficulty. Size of your ID (inner Diameter) is also an important factor, as the larger the ID- the weaker the link. I generally recommend 3/8" ID, though 1/2" might work if you're lighter in build and hardcore requirements.

Third, you could go with a heavy copper shirt made from insulated copper wire (the kind used in wiring by electricians). A bit costly, but the insulation not only adds to the durability- it gives both consistent color AND cuts down on the noise factor (easiest way to make "rogue's chainmail")

Finally, if you don't mind a more "ring mail" look, go with keychain rings and spray paint the mothers! Cheapest option, but you'll have to redo the paint job on a semi-regular basis. Depends if you mind the upkeep....

Just a few thoughts to add to things. Feel free to ask for more. Best of luck on your search!! :D

Back