Changes?

I just want to have a list of what changes to the rulebook are on the tables lately. Hearing rumors of eliminating certain spells and such...anything else I should know about?

~Jesse

Basically the changes are not going to be announced until the release of the rulebook.

So as to not cause confusion and angst amoungst the player base.

tieran said:
Basically the changes are not going to be announced until the release of the rulebook.

So as to not cause confusion and angst amoungst the player base.

And how many rule sets have we gone through Justin? Thats the most confusing hehehe

I think this new one will make the 3rd.

But you are probably one up on me, at least.

tieran said:
I think this new one will make the 3rd.

But you are probably one up on me, at least.

Actually its none. I don't follow rules....

The question wasn't how many rules changes have you paid attention to.

It was how many rules changes have you been through.

Its a good thing you don't try to follow the rules, cause you can't read.

We usually try to update the book every 3 - 4 years.

We NEVER release the rules beforehand because it ALWAYS causes confusion, arguments on the field when people forget whether the new rule is in effect or not, and anger when people dislike a rule and then spend months trying to get us to change it because the new book isn't out yet so "there's still time!"

It's just not worth it. Sorry.

Don't expect a new book until next winter (Jan 09 or so).

Just intrested would that be the new rules posted or new rule book?
my guess is new rules posted and new book not being untill later.

I and I think a lot of others are excited about new rules
not that the old ones arnt great but its the glamor of the unknown.

FW

Im more excited about possibly new stuff
changes to stuff now I dont ahev enough experence with to say if it needs changing.

New pictures and stuff in rule book, tabletop rules and who knows what else I think is exciting
can I be so about them ;)

FW

I still get mildly disheartened when I hear "We don't wanna rush things because we wanna take our time and fix what needs fixing" but followed up by "There aren't going to be many changes". I know I and a lot of other folks had really hoped to see a major overhaul on some things that have been seriously needing it since 8th edition came out, such as traps and the armor value system. Both are broken, not to the point of unplayability, but to the point where they do seriously affect the game. Almost no one bothers to wear plate when studded leather or chain will get you within 6 points of the same coverage and not break either your back or your wallet to get it there, and traps are the forgotten stepchild in the corner that only ever comes out on mods on rare occasions set up simply for the sake of having traps so that people can occastionally use their skills on em. Please, please, please! Look again at past submissions or put out a call for new ones along these lines and let's make some progress!

I guess it depends on what you consider major then! Fixing armor and traps to me, is not major. Creating new classes and skills is major.

We had what I thought was a pretty good proposal for making armor cooler but the owners voted it down.

Fearless Leader said:
I guess it depends on what you consider major then! Fixing armor and traps to me, is not major. Creating new classes and skills is major.

We had what I thought was a pretty good proposal for making armor cooler but the owners voted it down.

Aromor changes for me would seem major :)

IMHO telling everone about the rules now and them talking fighting and influncing the votes would be a good thing
I know sme desisions have to be done for game balance and for money reasons but I think that the players are mature enough (well maby not me)
getting the inpout of the people the changes will effect before they happen I think outweighs the problems.

a couple hundred people poking holes at rules adn offering sugestions I cant see being all bad

just my two coppers and I doubt my going over the rules as a doughnut would help but other players would

FW

Well traps basically need to be rebuilt from the ground up, which is a pretty major change. Armor, IMO and the opinion of many I've spoken to, needs to be shifted away from being representative of OOG phys rep and towards IG aquisition, which would also be a pretty fundamental shift. By this, I mean if I have a set of studded leather bracers, shoulders, chest, thigh, and shin guards with a heavy leather skullcap for a phys rep, I should be able to go IG and find a master leatherworker and buy a 30 pt tag for leather armor, and if my class or skills support me wearing that much armor I'm good to go. It's really lame that I can have a fighter, with a full chain and leather rig, and 1000g to spend, and can't buy and use a 30pt suit tag because OOG I don't have full plate. It's an IG mechanic, let's keep it IG. Make the IG cost reflective of materials instead of the OOG qualifications. By this I mean, for example, right now a 30pt suit of armor costs 140 production points to make and costs 140cp to pay for that production. Let's make it so that a 30pt suit of plate remains the same cost, but a 30 pt suit of chain costs 140 production and 280cp, Studded leather 140 production and 420cp, etc. since you'd need super quality leather and treatment stuff yada yada to make the leather that resillient. Or up those numbers even more, or make a separate skill that's like formals but can only be taken after having 20 levels of smithing, that you can take any one of the following: master plate, master chain, master leather. You can now make armor of your specialty up to maximum value.

It's bothered me FOREVER that armor was the ONLY production skill in the game (the only skill period really) where the type and quality of your phys rep dictated what you could and could not do with it IG. You don't need leaded crystal vials to put Death poisons in and Wizard lock scrolls don't require genuine vellum to be printed on. I think if we bring armor into line in this fashion we'd see a lot more people actually wear armor and the most sought after scroll might become something other than Arcane Armor.

We've already had that discussion as well. I had posted several of the change proposals on the Seattle forums for discussion and feedback. This cause quite a furor amongst some of the other owners as well as the Alliance Leadership.

The general opinion is that it would cause confusion (and has in the past) with people not being able to seperate out passed proposals from current rules and trying to use the new rules before they were released in the rule book. The process as it is now allows for a more streamlined release process, but it does not allow for a user feedback preiod before implementation.

No matter how this goes forward, there will be issues. It is simply a matter of deciding which issues you are willing to live with.

doverman said:
We've already had that discussion as well. I had posted several of the change proposals on the Seattle forums for discussion and feedback. This cause quite a furor amongst some of the other owners as well as the Alliance Leadership.

The general opinion is that it would cause confusion (and has in the past) with people not being able to seperate out passed proposals from current rules and trying to use the new rules before they were released in the rule book. The process as it is now allows for a more streamlined release process, but it does not allow for a user feedback preiod before implementation.

No matter how this goes forward, there will be issues. It is simply a matter of deciding which issues you are willing to live with.

such is life :)

Frank Wiccan said:
Just intrested would that be the new rules posted or new rule book?
my guess is new rules posted and new book not being untill later.

I and I think a lot of others are excited about new rules
not that the old ones arnt great but its the glamor of the unknown.

FW

I just wanted to hear which ones were being debated and all that.

Fearless Leader said:

To me, Mike is trying to say that any thing that would cause a sprit forge, would be "major changes", and this is not the case (unfortunately :( )

Gilwing said:
Fearless Leader said:

To me, Mike is trying to say that any thing that would cause a sprit forge, would be "major changes", and this is not the case (unfortunately :( )

Yep.

Back