CIBC Run for the Cure 2012 Calgary

DragonKitty

Scholar
Hello Fellow Calgary LARPers!

Like a lot of people, I have lost someone to cancer, for me it was my Mom 15 years ago to breast cancer. I wanted to celebrate her and mark the 15th year of her passing in some fashion. Years ago the Pirates, our local RPG club, did the CIBC Run for the Cure with a Pirate costume theme and it was a lot of fun. So, I was thinking about seeing if you all would be interested in doing a team for this years run with an Alliance LARP theme to help me celebrate and possibly celebrate someone in your life too?

How many of you would be interested in doing something like this? It supports a good cause and can get us some more local exposure for the LARP.

For a team we must have at least 10 (ten) members that have paid their participation fee of $40 by the deadline of Friday, September 14th, 2012. Or, the average amount fundraised by each team member by the deadline must be a minimum of $150 to have the participation fee waived. Dogs are welcome on the course if you want to bring your pets, we can even dress them up too! There is an option of a 1k or 5K run/walk, I was thinking we could do the 5k walk. The date of the run is Sept. 30th, start time would be 7:30am but you would be done around 10:30 in the morning.

Please respond here if you are interested and will commit to attending and at least paying the $40 participation fee (or fundraise the min of $150 if you want to collect money from friends and family). :yes:

If we can get a team together, I would like to get the team registered by mid-August so people have time to fund-raise if they want to.

Thanks and talk to you all soon!

Re: CIBC Run for the Cure 2010 Calgary

I would be interested in attending, but I'm booked that weekend.

You have my Moral support but I generally don't run unless I am being chased by a psychopath.

Breten said:
You have my Moral support but I generally don't run unless I am being chased by a psychopath.

We can arrange that..... :ninja:

I am interesting in attending. I'm not terribly athletic, so will likely be walking but I'm interested in helping promote the LARP. I'm not huge on fundraising, but I have a few people I can ask.

(rereading the post - 5K walk should be okay. I just looked it up and it's 3.3 KM from where I live to chinook mall and I often walk that both ways, plus the time I spend in the mall.)

If you need a few more to reach the 10 person minimum, I can commit to being there and paying $40 (plus whatever I fundraise, if anything). Next time I see you in person (wings or work day), I'll see if we have close to enough people, if so I'll give you $40 for registration.

My grandmother died of cancer. She was the sort that didn't want to worry people, so she didn't tell anyone about her symptoms until it was too late to do any sort of treatment. I was in my early teens, IIRC when she passed.

Breten said:

I was only planning on doing the walk myself....LOL

MathGwyson said:
If you need a few more to reach the 10 person minimum, I can commit to being there and paying $40 (plus whatever I fundraise, if anything). Next time I see you in person (wings or work day), I'll see if we have close to enough people, if so I'll give you $40 for registration.

Once I get 10 people at least to say yes, 8 really since Keith and I are included in the number, I will create the team online and then each person can go online and make their own payment for registration themselves as well. Its another option as well to me collecting all the money, but we can do either :)

I just want to get commitments first before creating the team because I can't afford to be stuck with having to pay for 10 people and have it just be Keith and I...LOL. :shock:

Perhaps I should post this on the facebook page as well?

DragonKitty said:
Perhaps I should post this on the facebook page as well?

Would be a good idea since very few folks come to the forums. Can also set up a poll/sign up if need be.

Done! Poll on Facebook :)

Yeah last year I officially became older than my Oldest sister. :tears: So yes this hits home pretty hard.

I wish I could give a commitment now, but will have to see just how crazy the schedule will be. The desire to take part is there though so I will try to find a way to make this happen. Mind you the "macho" side is tempted to do the 1 klick run in full chain and plate to prove a point. :cool:

I would love to do this. I take it that as an NPC, I can dress up as whatever I like; as long as it's something we would have IG?

Shanswer said:
I would love to do this. I take it that as an NPC, I can dress up as whatever I like; as long as it's something we would have IG?

You are absolutely correct!!!

Or use it as a chance to show us your own character you might be planning.

Back