Cleanse Incant (and the whole Curse group)

mythic

Baron
Hey folks!

So after a big playtest we (the Calgary folks) reaaaaaaaallly dislike "I curse you with Cleanse" as an incant. I would love to hear some options for the Curse effect group or the Cleanse incant itself.

Some options:
1- Rename Curses all together
2- Move Cleanse to Healing
3- invert the Cleanse incant "I Cleanse you of Curses"
4- rename Cleanse

I would love for some other options from the Hivemind that is our LARP! I just cannot seem to create something I like. :(

I like option 3 "I Cleanse you of Curse," but there's a good argument for option 1, changing the incants so all curses including Cleanse are the same, eg:

With the power of Curse I:
--Cleanse you
--Weaken you
--Silence you
--Paralyze you
--???

Destruction doesn't work with this because the verb form would be Destroy, which would be super confusing. However, the effect of Destruction isn't intuitively obvious from the name, so maybe it could stand to be changed anyway.

Just tossing ideas out there.

Edit: I just remembered Death is a curse in 2.0, and "with the power of Curse I kill you" isn't great either.

3. I cleanse you of curses.

Easiest fix. Intuitive and simple. Not perfectly consistent with the other incants, but forgivably close.

Yeah. My concern is having 2 incants for the same Effect group. I want it to be simple for new players as well as the veterans. I think it's pretty intuitive, but that is why I would like to hear from the masses. :)

Keep 'em coming folks! love the discussion!

I want to move it to Healing, but it wouldn't have a Chaos reversal.

I'd rather give it an inconsistent incant than a bad one.

And let's be honest. The current incant is terrible.

What about slightly changing the incant to "With Curse I grant you [X]" and the spell to "Cleansing"?
-With Curse I grant you Weakness.
-With Curse I grant you Silence.
-With Curse I grant you Cleansing.
-With Curse I grant you Destruction.
-With Curse I grant you Paralysis.

Pros:
-It flows nicely for each spell and only requires changing one spell name.
-It's slightly less ridiculous to call on Curse to grant Cleansing than to Curse someone with it.
-"A Cleansing Potion/Elixir" sounds better than "a Cleanse Potion/Elixir".

Cons:
-It still doesn't sound quite right as a full incant.
-Changing it to "Cleansing" means it doesn't fit nicely with the other removal effects "Awaken", "Purify", and "Release" (it turns it into an inflected verb instead of an infinitive one like the others).

Change it to Riddance? I mean google the meaning. Its a pretty good curse and it serves the purpose of removing things.... Just an idea!

What about changing all of the other explicit "removal" effect incants to just "I remove <school>." and change the name of those respective spells to be "Remove <School>"?

Remove Binding -> Incantation "I Remove Binding."
Remove Curse -> Incantation "I Remove Curse."
Remove Command -> Incantation "I Remove Command."

My Curses bring X to you.
My Curses bring Weakness to you.
My Curses bring Silence to you.
My Curses bring Cleansing to you.
My Curses bring Destruction to you.
My Curses bring Paralysis to you.
My Curses bring Death (DOOM DOOOOOOOM *cough cough*) to you!

I think they are trying to get away from an additional school and different incants? @Alavatar

Assuming Alavatar meant to keep them in the same school as the effects they remove, I would posit that you would want to keep the spell names for clarity/not having to change the names of the spells, eg:

Cleanse--I cleanse you of Curse
Release--I release you from Binding
Awaken--I awaken you from Command

Nevermind, this wins.

Assuming Alavatar meant to keep them in the same school as the effects they remove,

Yep, that was my intent.

I would posit that you would want to keep the spell names for clarity/not having to change the names of the spells, eg:

Cleanse--I cleanse you of Curse
Release--I release you from Binding
Awaken--I awaken you from Command

Makes sense to me. I would be fine with either.

My Hex Brings X:
My hex brings a cleanse
My hex brings freedom, (cleanse)
My hex brings a purge (cleanse)
My hex brings Weaken
My hex brings Silence
My hex brings Paralyze
My hex brings death
My hex brings doom
My hex brings destruction

I'll put my vote in for "I cleanse you of curses". It sounds good and it lets the target know exactly what they're getting out of the spell. Probably the best choice to reduce mini-holds.

My suggestion for the incant. I think it is a nice balance between maintaining the conceptual feeling of the original incant and adapting to the new spells.

"I unleash <spell> upon you"

It is only one syllable longer, maintains the dynamic of me directing some form of wrath upon you, and maintains the I...you phrasing of the original.

Assuming the Cleanse spell is renamed to Cleansing, I think it works with every curse spell that exists: Weakness, Destruction, Paralysis, Death (DOOM), Silence, Cleansing.

-MS

...all the boys to the yard. :D

Sorry, couldn't resist.

-MS

My Hex Brings X:
My hex brings a cleanse
My hex brings freedom, (cleanse)
My hex brings a purge (cleanse)
My hex brings Weaken
My hex brings Silence
My hex brings Paralyze
My hex brings death
My hex brings doom
My hex brings destruction

I like this set. I would make a slight change:
"My Hex Weakens you" etc. Just a minor flip on the incant.
"My Hex Cleanses You" sounds a lot better than Curse.

I am glad to hear the input from everyone! I'm glad to see several would be okay with just flipping the Incant to "I Cleanse you of Curses" as well. That was one bounced back and forth with ARC and myself and we were on the fence if people were into that.

Back