[.11] Combined Strike is for whom?

Gilwing

Administrator
Alliance Logistics
Alliance Owner
Combined Strike [Spellsword Adept] - 10 XP (Spellsword), 60 XP Martial Skills, Passive, requires Formal Magic - once purchased, the character may expend any Signature Spell of the appropriate aspect from memory as "X Weapon Strike <effect>" at will. This may be done any number of times per Logistics period. Keep in mind that Weapon qualifier attacks cannot give beneficial effects – which means that an Earth Spellsword who uses this skill to expend a 4th level Cure Wounds as “20 Weapon Strike Healing” would not heal a living target struck by their weapon. It would, however, do significant damage to an Undead foe!

Is what's in bold (emphasis mine) just the IG name or was there a typo and it is meant to be available to both classes?

The part in parentheses is who the skill is designed towards, but there's no class requirements. Though I'm guessing the only Adept who picks it up are the ones who buy a lot of Riposte.

Thanks.
Its a little confusing when the rb says, "
Two new types of skills are being introduced – some skills require a specific weapon type to use, and some skills are specifically cheapest for “split classes” like Adept and Spellsword." And shows "The skills are described in the following format:
Out Of Game Skill Name [In-Game Flavor Name, if any] - Cost for "targeted" class, purchase prerequisite, description and comments."

So to me the "targeted" and "cheap" class is Spellsword

It's just a typo in the packet. It should have something on there like "Combined Strike [ULTIMATE AMAZING ATTACK]".

This skill is cheapest for Spellswords and Adepts in the same way that Parry is cheapest for Fighters and Scouts.

I'm guessing Adept is incorrect. Looking at the skill cost, its "cheapest" at 10 for Spellswords, and then 12 for Adept, Artisan, and Scholar.

Also, that skill is clearly in the running for the award for most expensive prerequisites. I think the "cheapest" way to buy it still has you needing something like 180+ build and likely being higher than that.

I'm guessing Adept is incorrect. Looking at the skill cost, its "cheapest" at 10 for Spellswords, and then 12 for Adept, Artisan, and Scholar.

Also, that skill is clearly in the running for the award for most expensive prerequisites. I think the "cheapest" way to buy it still has you needing something like 180+ build and likely being higher than that.

You only need one 9th level spell to buy Formal Magic (not 4), so assuming absolute minimums (one 9th level spell, Dagger weapon skill, 60 XP in martial skills), the minimum prerequisite XP should be 160 XP (7 for spell pre-reqs + 2 for dagger + 4 for Formal Magic + 60 XP Martial + 87 for a tower to a 9th level spell) for a Spellsword (math done by memory so some numbers could be off).

Realistically, that would be at least a little higher because any Spellsword would have at least a 2 damage weapon of some sort.

-MS

Edit: Just noticed, the martial pre-req doesn't change based on class, so a Scholar needs to spend the same 60 XP on martial skills as a Spellsword. Thus, technically, the tower need only cost 73 XP and all the other costs are the same (or Formal Magic might be 1 point cheaper, I forget). So, a Scholar can get all the pre-reqs at about 14 points fewer than a Spellsword.

Which means its 170xp for a spellsword to have it with only a dagger as a weapon. Or 158 for a scholar to have it. (I forgot to remove shield from my spreadsheet when I did my previous calculation.) Picking the correct race could also slightly reduce this - High Ogre or High Orc would let you get your dagger skill at half cost and with educated not cost double for them any more, it means they make getting the skill 1 XP cheaper than other races.

"Spellsword Adept" is the in-game 'flavor name'. Please keep in mind that it is explicitly noted in the rulebook that OOG class names (like "Spellsword" and "Adept") and OOG numbers like levels are intended to be kept OOG. In-game, achieving the Combined Strike skill makes someone an Adept-level Spellsword. Adept has a meaning outside the class name, after all :)

If the in-game names are confusing, we can look at changing them, but we wanted someone who got to that capstone skill to be able to call it something cool. We also want people to have better IG names for some of the skills which have a nice OOG descriptive name but is a little clunky in-game - for example, "Sleep/Paralysis Strike" which has the IG "flavor" name of Waylay. Characters should be asking other characters to teach them to Waylay, or to learn Gripbreaker, or to become a Spellsword Adept.

-Bryan

Thanks Bryan. I think it is confusing. We just had several people including an owner think that it was a typo.
I will say that if we are trying to keep classes, levels and skill names oog, why have a skill that has both class names a's the title (even if one of those names can also be a description ie. adept)?

Back