Common Rules Violations: Damage Verbals and Spell Incants

Dante said:
alrighty...here's something ive been wondering

lets say im a fighter with a prof in each hand, dual wielding short swords. If I attack my opponent correctly, calling "3 normal", and then swing both swords at the same time, one at his shoulder, the other at his ankle, and one is blocked, but the other hits, what happens?
what if both connect?

by the letter of the rule, if one hits, I ought to deal damage, since there is no rule against swinging a weapon without a damage call
or did i miss something in the book?

I don't think anyone else answered this, so I'll go ahead. Scissor attacks, such as this, are generally not permitted as they are considered unsafe attacks.

Marc

Masticon said:
I don't think anyone else answered this

Actually, I answered it on the last page. It has nothing to do with safety, and everything to do with the logistics of attacking in such a manner.

Shikar al'Basteua said:
Any action (or lack thereof) on the part of the attacker which causes this information to be muddled or not communicated (such as a misspoken, late, or hurried verbal or swinging multiple weapons at once) should nullify the attack; at the same time, however, the defender may not (as illustrated above) act in such a manner as to force a blown verbal by intercepting the attack before the verbal is completed.

My personal gripe on verbals is that people don't enunciate the word "I" at the beginning of their incants when speed casting. Sure, they remember saying it, but far too often I hear "CallforthadragonsbreathCallforthadragonsbreathCallforthadragonsbreath!".

jpariury said:
My personal gripe on verbals is that people don't enunciate the word "I" at the beginning of their incants when speed casting. Sure, they remember saying it, but far too often I hear "CallforthadragonsbreathCallforthadragonsbreathCallforthadragonsbreath!".
I'll add to that one, I hear a lot of casters "With"

"mystic force I bind you" is not a valid verbal. :)

Re:

Shikar al'Basteua said:
As a counter to the assassinate/waylay doomsayers, I would like to point out that I have always completed those verbals prior to landing my blow, and have been able to land nearly every assassinate and waylay I have ever thrown.

Also, you cannot say "expecting waylay" in order to prevent a waylay attack for which the attacker's verbal/swing has already begun. Consider turning around, ducking, or otherwise attempting to block the shot you now know is coming instead of trying to abuse the rules to get out of it.

That said, I have requested a clarification on weapon verbal timing from the Alliance Rules Commitee. Please feel free to continue discussion in the meantime. For now we will be adhering to the rules as posted at the start of this thread, though things may change pending a contradictory ruling from the ARC.

-Dan

I still believe that 'expecting waylay' is a cheese mechanic. If you believe someone is going to waylay you, then keep your eyes on them. If you turn your back, even -believing- that they will waylay you, then you deserve the waylay. Having an idea that a blow to the back of your head is coming does very little to stop it from hurting, especially when you can't know the -timing- of the thing thanks to a lack of rearview mirrors on your helmet. :lol:

Re: Re:

Padraig said:
I still believe that 'expecting waylay' is a cheese mechanic. If you believe someone is going to waylay you, then keep your eyes on them. If you turn your back, even -believing- that they will waylay you, then you deserve the waylay. Having an idea that a blow to the back of your head is coming does very little to stop it from hurting, especially when you can't know the -timing- of the thing thanks to a lack of rearview mirrors on your helmet. :lol:

You are making some mistakes about waylay. Saying "expecting waylay" is no different than saying "I know you're back there." This is perfectly allowed in the rulebook. Page 56 specifically.

What this means is that you no longer take the knockout portion of a waylay. It doesn't mean you don't take the damage.

Indeed, it still hurts. It just doesn't incapacitate you.

Waylay is one of the strange carriers in the game. It splits it's damage portion from it's carrier. So a successfully performed waylay will do damage, regardless of whether the target is going to fall down or not.

As to the length of time for such a statement to last... that's trust and RP. If the guy you wanted to knock out gets super engrossed in a conversation, stops turning his head to see where you are, tosses his head back and laughs mightily, then he's probably forgotten about you. Go whack him. Honest people will admit their oops and fall down or take the damage and turn around and wail on you (maybe they were watching you in the reflection of the window, oops!). For the ones that don't, there's marshals.

I recommend hitting up page 55 and 56 and reading up on Waylay some more.

Dually noted. My observation was based off as I've seen it played, as I don't have my rulebook in front of me at the moment. :oops:

Back