Consentration/spell striking

Okay here's a situation for ya that I can't find a problem with but maybe some marshall types would. If I am casting Magic Storm, I cannot move my feet or use any IG skills or it breaks the spell. Activating a magic item does not qualify as an IG skill. So, if I have a Magic Storm going, and I Channel a Magic Storm that I have cast on my weapon (ie Spell Strike) can I maintain both? I had seen it ruled previously that using a Spell Strike ability did not constitute a skill (people being drained and spell striking but if they took hits on the weapon they took damage, but that wouldn't be the case here because blocking with a weapon is allowed during a Magic Storm AFAIK since it falls under the passive IG skill usage) so I don't see why not, but wanted to get some official insight into this. Only person I know of who may have actually done this IG is Matt but not sure if even he has been mad enough to blow both in one lone stand hehe.

Yes, yes I have.
The most recent ruling on the issue allowed me to have both a cast Magic Storm and a Spell Strike Magic Storm up at the same time.
However, I had to do it specifically by casting the Magic Storm first, then activating the spell strike second.

The reason was that clearly you are allowed to activate other magic items while using a concentration effect (such as activating healing/protectives while you have a Sanc. up), but there was some dispute over whether or not you could cast a spell while you were actively concentrating on another spell/effect. According to the 'Concentration' rules at the time, you couldn't do that, but there are clearly exceptions (like that you're allowed to activate items on yourself while Sanc.ed)

So when it has come up in the past, yes, you could do it, so long as you did it in the right order. I don't know if this has even been thought about under this edition, or if the Concentration rules changed in any pertinent way, but I doubt it. Besides, it never comes up. My general opinion of the matter is basically, if you really want to blow your 2 ninth level effects and not move while doing it, go for it. It's not like it breaks the game in any fashion.

That was pretty much my reasoning as well, and as a battlecaster with a staff, if I really need to keep that Storm going for a while yet but am getting ganked on, having a SSMS as well could well keep people off me. Hmmm, although what about an activated Prison? Would that break the casting Magic storm?

My opinion is no, but there's been a 'ruling' (in as much as they're 'not official' as it turns out) on the Alliance board that, basically, if you're rendered unable to 'use' the storm, it drops. I think the original question pertained to Bind, but the impression I got was that it was a general rule. I'd like something official for the chapter though, so I'm going to post it on the marshal's board.

I believe the way the WC chapters are leaning is that Prison w/ MS will be allowed. I suspect Cymryc and Bryan may be planning a quickie Marshal meeting before the OR event to figure out which way the WC chapters will be ruling it.

Realized this never got a publicized ruling:

For Oregon and Seattle, we are permitting multiple MEC Storm effects to be active on a single caster at a given time, provided the rules are otherwise followed.

Examples:
  • Tom casts a Magic Storm from memory, then begins Spellstriking an Earth Storm. He can continue to throw packets of Magic Storm and swing his weapon for Earth Storm.
  • **** activates an Earth Storm, then casts a Magic Storm from memory. Since the latter required skill use to do, his Earth Storm is lost.
  • Mary casts a Magic Storm from memory, then activates a Chaos Storm. She may now throw packets and swap between "Chaos Storm" and "Magic Storm" at will.

So, by this, you could have:

Cast Earth Storm

Activated Chaos Storm

Activated Magic Storm

Activated Spellstrike Magic Storm

At once?

Technically being able to switch between any of the three storms as well as one or two spellstrike storms? Or only one cast, one activated, and one spellstrike?

Back