"Correct" pipe insulation

I made my first boffer weapons using the guidelines in the book, and thought, physically it looked okay. Yesterday, I had it tested against me, and the blows stung a bit. It got me wondering if I used the right materials. I used 5/8" pvc and insulation, and used pic and link related insulation foam. Is there a "correct" insulation foam? Any tips? Thanks in advance.

https://www.menards.com/main/plumbi...21-c-8589.htm?tid=-6048201083694150307&ipos=8

Attachments

• Seal-Seal-5-8-Wall.jpg
    Seal-Seal-5-8-Wall.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 9
The 5/8” wall insulation generally has an internal diameter of 1/2”. So if you used 5/8” PVC, it’s likely a bit too big for your foam and causing it to compress a little. Which means there is less give in the foam for when you get hit, and it’ll sting a bit more.

That said, even with a 1/2” core, it’s still going to sting a bit. You are still getting hit, after all!

When I assembled it, it was a snug fit. And I do understand that you are supposed to pull your blows. In fact, I aim for just a light touch, but I just don't want to get carried away in the heat of battle and accidently hurt someone. I guess at the end of the day, I should just bring some extra, and different, supplies to rebuild it in case it gets rejected.

That's the exact same type of foam that I use though I use a carbon based rod. They're pricier in general but I've found that a lighter and more precise boffer stings less since you have more control over it. It's also always possible that the weapon was just swing too hard.

5/8" that fits 3/4 copper work the best. The wall of the foam is thicker and fits snug.

The 5/8” wall insulation generally has an internal diameter of 1/2”. So if you used 5/8” PVC, it’s likely a bit too big for your foam and causing it to compress a little. Which means there is less give in the foam for when you get hit, and it’ll sting a bit more.

That said, even with a 1/2” core, it’s still going to sting a bit. You are still getting hit, after all!

If you are hitting someone hard enough to hurt them with a boffer built to rulebook spec, you need to check your swing calibration, because you are swinging way too hard.

I was trying to draw a distinction between a boffer blow being painful, and "stinging a bit" as described in the OP. The former is obviously a sign of a problem, but the latter I think is perfectly normal.

If you are hitting someone hard enough to hurt them with a boffer built to rulebook spec, you need to check your swing calibration, because you are swinging way too hard.

Latex weapons hurt.

Latex weapons hurt.

Yeah, hence 'boffer built to rulebook spec'. I have to hit someone pretty near to SCA calibration with a boffer to make it hurt, and that's wildly excessive for a touch game.

AMH3sS

The one with the smaller hole is it.
Yours might have the same foam wall thickness but the hole is bigger.
https://goo.gl/images/AMH3sS (that's the link to the pic. Might not work on my phone)

Back