Correct weapon core size.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JP Smith

hello,
I am planing on making a spear. I purchased 1" PVC pipe. The rule book says half or 3/4 inch in the construction chapter, it doesn't mention if that is outside diameter or inside(how piping is usually measured.) will a 1"core be illegal? Also, how much of the top needs to be open cell foam?

JP.

As long as it's properly padded with foam, it more than likely will pass. However, be mindful of the flex and whip requirements in that section. You don't want it too whippy, and you do want it to have some flex to it. Be mindful that a PVC cored spear will be relatively heavy to many weapons, be careful with your thrusts as they can have more force than intended, so I strongly suggest working with your chapter's marshals to help you learn how to use it safely.

Hi,

(See page 81-84 in the rulebook for the weapon construction guidelines.) 1/2 or 3/4" (inside diameter--or whatever the PVC pipe is marked as when you purchase it) is recommended for cores. 1" is going to make an extremely heavy weapon which is both harder to use and harder to pull your hits safely, IMO. Whether a weapon ultimately passes is always up to the weapon marshals in your local chapter.

For a spear: "The head must be noticeably thicker than the pipe insulation and should squash easily" (p83). There's not a minimum cubic inch measurement or anything, but the open cell needs to extend at least 2" above the end of the closed cell foam (like a regular thrust tip) and as a general guideline I guess 1/2-1" wider than the pipe insulation. As long as it kinda looks like a spear, it's good.

Edit: I find it's easiest to attach a spear head if it comes down a fair bit around the closed cell foam on the sides, so you have a good size surface to tape it to the pipe insulation. Sort of like this? Hope that helps.
upload_2015-10-20_20-19-20.png

Last edited:
The weight difference between the different diameters of pipe I find to be minimal and controllable(gave that consideration.) I went with the thicker pipe becouse I felt it stayed within the 6 inch whip tolerance. Thank you for the diagram, it really helps. Thank you all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back