Costume ideas for a bear-kin

Wraith said:
It ain't cold 'til you've had game called on account of windchill somewhere south of -30.

I figure that is when you just play inside somewhere :)

I would love to see this, Sir. I have a few ideas that I'll throw at you when we get to the Oregon game.

SHHHHHHHHH. Don't tell him! Jeez!

This character wont debut for a year or more. :(

I could probably help with some of the costuming. :D We can chat when we get to Oregon.

Also: I don't know much about cold, barring living through two Colorado winters in nothing but flip-flops and jeans. Even then, not that cold. But dear word, the PNW masters that icy breath of death that passes through clothing, skin and bone. The frigid wind that blows off the mountains, that ravenously consumes every spare bit of warmth you have on your body. All you need is 20-30 degree weather, wind blowing down from the north, and 99% humidity. Brrr. That is my version of cold. Beats the pants off of Colorado's 4 degree nights (hence the flip-flops and jeans), IMO. Brrrrr. Where are my socks...

Lol. I brought extras, they were just hiding. I found them now! They are fuzzy with pumpkins on them. *nods sagely*

Oh Barb, that's so you. Never change.

*very ornate, elegant bow*

:lol:

On a more serious note, my suggestion is to have two costumes if you want this to be year round. A winter coat and a summer coat. Mostly we've been talking about what to do in the cold. For summer I'd suggest just going to the fabric store like Joannes and making a pelt out of their faux fur. I can help with the design, as I'm working on a wylderkin of my own. Barb would probably be the one to talk to about the actual stitching though.

iWolfe said:
On a more serious note, my suggestion is to have two costumes if you want this to be year round. A winter coat and a summer coat. Mostly we've been talking about what to do in the cold. For summer I'd suggest just going to the fabric store like Joannes and making a pelt out of their faux fur. I can help with the design, as I'm working on a wylderkin of my own. Barb would probably be the one to talk to about the actual stitching though.

Any pointers would be appreciated on my end also. I am working on a wolf-kin outfit. My design is built around a 50/50: half furred & half non furred.
FYI: if you have a Mill End Store near you, their Faux Fur selection is awesome, but pricey.

Half-furred? What parts to be furred, what ones not to be furred?

I'd imagine the face wouldn't be furred. If you actually want fur on it use a mask, though that limits your perception. I'd suggest NorthFursFX for your face. I'd suggest not going with the furry hood that they suggest. There's a technique that I'm gonna try out soon which'll probably work for you, which I'm going to use on my Rottweiler. It involves getting some faux fur spirit gummed to the skin of your neck. Could make for a nifty setup. Let you know how it works.

iWolfe said:
Half-furred? What parts to be furred, what ones not to be furred?

I'd imagine the face wouldn't be furred. If you actually want fur on it use a mask, though that limits your perception. I'd suggest NorthFursFX for your face. I'd suggest not going with the furry hood that they suggest. There's a technique that I'm gonna try out soon which'll probably work for you, which I'm going to use on my Rottweiler. It involves getting some faux fur spirit gummed to the skin of your neck. Could make for a nifty setup. Let you know how it works.

NorthFur FX nose with makeup on face, hair, and neck; fur on arms, shoulders, and legs/feet (thinking about how to make the 2 joint legs of a wolf/dog now); abdomen open to compression shirt base (heather gray); some type of short or kilt.

Roughed mannequin idea.
outfit1.gif

I have no intention on playing the bear during the warm season. He is a winter secondary just for fun that I plan to play in a year or two.

evi1r0n said:
I have no intention on playing the bear during the warm season. He is a winter secondary just for fun that I plan to play in a year or two.

SMART MAN. And, once again, I speak from actual experience.

Back