Creating a Character

ON1xB

I am a total newb... my first event was last weekend and I am HOOKED!!! I am interested in making a character.... I have already decided to be a Biata Templar... is there anything that I should know when I am writing my history, or anything I should keep in mind when deciding on whether I should be more fighter or more caster? I heard a damn good idea of earning all my weapon profs first so i can slaughter people while I am learning my spells.... any other advice?

I belive I can help here, as my primary is a Biata Templar. Some things to concider and ask yourself.
How comfortable are you with the spell system (both packet accuracy and incants).
Do you enjoy swinging pipe over casting? Casting over pipe? Equal?
Are you eager to get up with the "big" guys, in actuality or in precieved ability?

The thing about templar's (adepts and scouts as well) is that they are a much slower path to power than the "single" classes. Amaranthus (my primary) is 18th level now. I swing 6's have my evic, my repost, 2 slays, 2 parries and a small earth pyramid (44321). I also have 1h master and style master. Even if I were a bit more streemlined i wouldnt have that much more other things.
I have been playing Amar scince 2003. I love the character, and such, but its been a long road, to get him to the point were he is truly "effective".

Now, I am not trying to discurage you. You stated you are new so I wanted to give you a bit of info about the classes. The "cross" classes are great as you get higher in level, but they take a bunch longer to get that level of power. The "single" classes become much more powerful earlyer on, but they tend to cap off earlyer, tho you kept getting stronger, it tends to be "more of the same tricks"

A templar's best advantage over a fighter, is their ability to cast. All templars even earth ones, generaly learn the basics of celestial magic, so they can use scrolls. This makes them very very versital. By choosing BIATA you cut that part of the versatility out, as Biata can never learn the skill "Read Magic" which is the pre-req for celestial magic. When an earth templar biata runs outa spells, all they have left is their fighter skills (swinging pipe etc) which is a great thing to fall back on, but you will never be as effectinve in that regard as a fighter of = level.

Sounds all bad, doesnt it? Its not. Biata is a really cool race, and templar is a great class. Some of the best advantages of being an earth templar are the ability to become your own backpack. Magic armor's when timed right, are like cheep parry's, and touch casting healing and protections on your self means you can become very self reliant. Biata get access to one of the more in-depth RP abilies in this game, mental ability RP based on the ability to deal with memories. I also am a fan of biata social outlook, ancestory, and varius other in game things. By no means am I saying dont go Biata, just know what your giving up, and what your gaining.

As for history, that depends on what chapter your making the character from. Each has a slightly different history and details for each race. I recoment requesting a Race Paket from that chapter's plot commitie. I also agree (tho its a personal preference) go fighter first, as if you enjoy nero combat, you will get much more out of your build swing pipe early on then you will spells, particularly as an earth templar.

Most of all, do what you think you have fun doing. NPC a lot. Its a cheep, effective way to learn the rules, learn what you like, and see whats out there for your character. Plus it truly helps the game. Good luck with your first character, and welcome to the game.
--Bill
Caldaria Staff
Caldaria Rules Marshal

For writing a character history, reading your race packet and local players guide offer plot points that you can include in your history. Linking your character's past into established plotlines is a great way to get involved with current IG goings on. Finding some obscure, enigmatic passage in your packet/guide and including it in your history is a great way for plot committes develop already established but, as yet, unused plot points.

Still wish someone would've told me about race packets. Wrote my own and everything. It's great fun, no doubt, but it sure makes you stick out like a sore thumb!

Bill covered pretty much everything regarding the Templar. On the down side you wont ever see yourself swinging 10s, or having an 8 block of spells, and until you hit 10th level or so your probably going to feel fairly useless in a lot of situations (however, first aid NEVER gets old, first aid everyone in sight).
But come that day when you can dump 70 points of healing into yourself while you cut thru the fighting line, you suddenly LOVE the class.

My primary is a 34th level Biata Templar that I've played for the last 9 or so years.

Lugo said:
On the down side you wont ever see yourself swinging 10s, or having an 8 block of spells, and until you hit 10th level or so your probably going to feel fairly useless in a lot of situations (however, first aid NEVER gets old, first aid everyone in sight).

Point 1 is totally false. Swinging 10s as a Templar is awesome.

If you've got an 8 block as a Templar, you should have been a scholar, or your retardedly high level (i.e. waaaaay bigger than me) or have nothing to very little else skillwise.

The uselessness lasts through 15th level, but honestly its all in how you build the character. From personal experience, buy your basics (read/write, first aid, healings, weapon & style skills) and then pick either fighter or caster, and decide which one you want to be til 15th level or so (at least). Templar with sword & boards and a 4 column and 2 levels of rituals puts you at 152 build (plus racials). Templar with sword & board, r/w, FA, HA, 8 profs and 4 parries puts you at 188 build. Both are attainable within 12 - 18 months if you work at it, and those are more or less the two benchmark points (at least for me)

Lugo said:
But come that day when you can dump 70 points of healing into yourself while you cut thru the fighting line, you suddenly LOVE the class.

Espescially while spell shielding, magic armoring and parrying your way through most of the rest of it. :)

Don't forget to incorporate the words Dark, Doom, and Death into your name.

Preferably in conjunction with Blade, Dealer, and Stalker.

That is the best advice so far on this thread.

Actually, that reminds me. Grab your local race packet before naming your character. Biata have house names that very much correspond to their personalities and attitudes towards many subjects. You'll also want to know about their color-schemes, as those are important as well.

~Matt, WCV

tieran said:
My primary is a 34th level Biata Templar that I've played for the last 9 or so years.

Lugo said:
On the down side you wont ever see yourself swinging 10s, or having an 8 block of spells, and until you hit 10th level or so your probably going to feel fairly useless in a lot of situations (however, first aid NEVER gets old, first aid everyone in sight).

Point 1 is totally false. Swinging 10s as a Templar is awesome.

If you've got an 8 block as a Templar, you should have been a scholar, or your retardedly high level (i.e. waaaaay bigger than me) or have nothing to very little else skillwise.

The uselessness lasts through 15th level, but honestly its all in how you build the character. From personal experience, buy your basics (read/write, first aid, healings, weapon & style skills) and then pick either fighter or caster, and decide which one you want to be til 15th level or so (at least). Templar with sword & boards and a 4 column and 2 levels of rituals puts you at 152 build (plus racials). Templar with sword & board, r/w, FA, HA, 8 profs and 4 parries puts you at 188 build. Both are attainable within 12 - 18 months if you work at it, and those are more or less the two benchmark points (at least for me)

Lugo said:

Espescially while spell shielding, magic armoring and parrying your way through most of the rest of it. :)

I do want to point out just to be realistic... both are attainable in 12 - 18 months if you really work at it. Monthly blankets, PnP, every event you can get to... I know people who have been playing for 4 or 5 years, and since they only play one chapter they are only at say 14th or 15th level. So the leveling speed can really vary. But yes it is possible. Just depends how much you want it. :D

4 months and I'm at level 9 for my DE celestial scholar so I'm on that fast road currently... Of course I am the guy going for that 8 block. ;)

On1xB, let me just say...

Welcome to Awesome!

Like our dear Bill, I also play an 18th Biata Templar, only I took the opposite track of caster over fighter. Into the late teens the power does become apparent. I've got my column, my rit level, a few build extra build were dropped into racial skills, and now I'm working on my profs. Never underestimate having a ready supply of curses and commands (bindngs are awesome but resisted more). Being able to Life/Death/Purify/Paralyse/Confine as a Templar can be freakin devastating. Once you get into the late teens your tough enough that you can bring the heals, armors, spell shields right up to the front lineswhere they are most often needed.

Having said all that, when you do run out of spells (and you will,) you feel it hard. Going caster first is not for the faint of heart. Most, I think, go fighter and then caster, and if I had thought about it in more practical terms early on I might of as well. Caster was just more in character for my guy.

And that brings us to the last point Bill raised. Biata are a complex race with an extremely rich rp background to build on. And it has little to do with the mental abilities as far as I'm concerned. Its all about attitude. And in that field we are easily up there with the DE. Anything it may seem like we lose for being Biata or being templars, we easily make up for in sheer coolness factor. Wisdom, reason, a sense of mystery, powers of intimidation, these things go a long way to ensuring one's survival, and they all come to the well played Biata in spades.

Back