Death when affected by gift

Status
Not open for further replies.

llywelyn

Artisan
A while back as a potential flaw on a ritual scroll I found something along the lines of the following:

Ritual Succeeds, Caster of the Ritual takes a Death when affected by the Gift effect group for the remainder of the event

There are only two gift spells: Death and Life (ARB 1.2 pg 104). Assuming that the character is an average character (no weird effects when hit by death) then the obvious effect is if someone were to accidentally cast life on you then you'd die rather than it being no-effect. If someone casts death on you when you are alive then you die twice, which wouldn't really change much.

My question is: What if you are dead and someone casts a life on you?

Is the order of operations that the death resolves before the life (and thus there's no effect from the death), or that that the life resolves before the death (in which case the character cannot be successfully life'd for the remainder of the event)?

Does the answer for this change if it is a life spell delivered via rebirth? (My instinct from the wording on rebirth is "no," but I figure it doesn't hurt to check)

Last edited:
The dearth can't happen before the life due to two reasons. The first is that the Death is triggered by the life, so cannot logically come first. The second is that if it did happen that way, the flaw would be pointless for the most part as any life spell would then be countered (again mostly) by the life you just received.

In short, that flaw appears to mean that if you get to dead, you cannot be life'd successfully.

Upvote 0
For flaws and other effects that say something to the effect of 'receive X from Y effect group', X replaces the normal effect. It is not an addition unless it says it is in addition to the normal effect.

I believe there is an ARC clarification on that, but I can't search for it at the moment.

Upvote 0
Allow me.

http://alliancelarp.com/forum/threads/modified-effects.12963/#post-142216

Specifically, example #5.

If you take X when affected by Y, you're no longer taking Y. For purposes of this question...

John has the flaw "Takes Death when affected by Gift." John is hit with a Life spell while alive, but instead of calling No Effect, he falls over Dead (assuming no other protectives are in place).

If John is Dead, and hit with a Life, he calls No Effect, since he takes it as Death, and not a Life, and as a Dead Body, he isn't affected by Death.

Upvote 0
Thanks Evan. Another reminder for me to look for ARC rulings.:(

Upvote 0
Awesome, thank you.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back