[.11] Disease vs Unconscious

Ken

Artisan
Disease doesn't prevent First Aid from setting body to 0 (via explicit exception), but does it prevent a character with 0 body from returning to 1 body after a minute? Do they simply remain unconscious until the disease wears off?

You don't "Heal" the 1 Body you simply regain it.

I believe the technicality is intended so that you can stabilize and get people back up after a minute even if you can't "Heal" them.

I agree with Ko’s assessment. I think Disease is intended to prevent gaining Body via Healing, capital “H,” not other methods. Note that elixir healing is also Healing, so this would be consistent.

Last I knew, First Aid will raise you from Bleeding Out (-1 Body) to Unconscious (0 Body) while Diseased, at which point your Body doesn't increase until after the Disease has been cured or run its course and a further minute has passed. The description for disease doesn't use a capital H to indicate the Healing effect group, just a lower-case one:
Packet .11c said:
Cure Disease / Disease: This effect renders the target unable to be healed from any source. When affected by any effect which would heal them the target must call No Effect. Like most Earth/Chaos spells, Cure Disease will remove a Disease on a living target or inflict one upon an Undead, while Disease will remove a Disease effect on an Undead. First Aid may still be used to stabilize someone under the effect of a Disease (and bring them from -1 to 0 Body Points as normal), though it will not remove the Disease itself.

It's the choice of "healed from any source", coupled with the lower-case H, that leads to this interpretation; as far as the rules imply, the Unconscious 'effect' is applied immediately at exactly 0 Body, and heals you for 1 Body after 60 seconds. There is no other 'natural Body healing' mechanic in the game, other than the rule that says all characters come into game at full Body; it's also the only time where waiting through an effect under normal circumstances restores any Body, as all other effects that heal Body are instantaneous.

If Unconscious is considered healing, Disease stops "healing from any source", then you are held in the Unconscious effect until the Disease wears off, and then for 60 seconds after that.

So we have an issue in that it's not clear enough. Let's wait on ARC's guidance, as there is a fundamental misunderstanding by one side or the other that needs to get cleared up, alongside wording of the rule that can only be made more clear once we know the intent.

Back