DM and Wards

So, if I'm at a Nero Seattle event and get my buddies together to drop the Ward on a cabin that we think the BBG is hiding in, and he has not only the Ward cast on the outside, but one each on the broom closet in the back and the small bedroom in the far corner. We put a Big Ol' CoP around the whole house and successfully cast the DM on the house. How many Wards drop?

:D

:D

Text entered for minimum character requirement. :(

To further extend the example, if he had a separate CoP on the inside somewhere, you'd need a separate DM for that (and you've have to touch it at the casting).

-Bryan

Thank you. I had seen a ruling on the national board that it would be all of them, but apparently it was only Mostly a ruling, and more of an opinion so wanted to know the opinion of local rules. Much appreciated.

Note, thats all of them unless the smaller rooms inside the building are self contained areas of their own. Like a warded tent in the middle of the building (according to the alliance rule chatter) is a seprate target. As would something like a stand alone closet, or a room built entirely inside an exsisting room (aka 4 more walls, a roof and floor).
However stuff like that needs to be approved by plot and on the marshal notes.

But just warding the back room of a given warded building means that both wards are on taget "Building" and hence both go down with the one casting of the DM.

Here's a slightly different example. Let's say I only have a ward on my broom closet, that doesn't have a wall that is on the outside of the building (it's in the middle of the building). If you put up a circle and DM my building... does the Ward go down despite the fact that you didn't touch it?

And another question... does dropping the ward require that the "W" be taken down immediately? If I manage to cast another ward before you can physically remove the "W" does that "W" count for my new ward?

In answer to #1, Mark, yes, it goes down. The target of the DM is not "ward", but "building". The broom closet is ostensibly part of the building (the target), therefore it would go down.

On #2, if asked on the fly, I'd let it go. It seems to me that the intent of the W is to clearly mark the building so that players know what they see. (i.e., if your building has a word with a 'W' on it, such as "Women" or "Hoosgow", this does not meet the needs of the spell) Admittedly, it might be that the setting up of a W is intended to be a part of the casting process, but I see nothing to indicate such.

jpariury;19159 said:
On #2, if asked on the fly, I'd let it go. It seems to me that the intent of the W is to clearly mark the building so that players know what they see. (i.e., if your building has a word with a 'W' on it, such as "Women" or "Hoosgow", this does not meet the needs of the spell) Admittedly, it might be that the setting up of a W is intended to be a part of the casting process, but I see nothing to indicate such.

I think that's the most reasonable determination. Ward/Wizard Lock do not specify when the W goes down, just that it must be placed on the building by the caster before the spell is cast. A reasonable interpretation is that it should be taken down when a Ward/WL is removed, but if recast immediately I wouldn't have a problem with the same W being used either.

-Bryan

I know back when we did the big Fort event in Oregon we had a running Wall of Force/Dispel fight back and forth five or six times and used the same rope/line drawn across the opening of the doorway into the fort each time since we were basically incanting over each other. Pretty much the same kind of thing as the W for the Ward/Lock.

Back