Does Jack of All Trades grant you the ability to identify items?

Feldor

Adept
Jack of All Trades says:
"This character counts as having Healing Arts, Herbal Lore, Create Trap, and Read Magic for the purpose of Identifying production items. Additionally, for every 10 Craftsman (Other) skills the wielder possesses, they count as having one additional level of Enhanced Meditate. "

But in 2.0, only "Create Trap" of Healing Arts, Herbal Lore, Create Trap, and Read Magic grants the ability to identify production items. The prerequisite skill for all the rest is "Educated".

Per the 2.0 Rulebook, Educated :
"Educated allows a player to identify Potions, Alchemical items, Trap Globes, and Battle Magic Scrolls at a base time of 60 seconds. See the “Production Skills” section for details. If the player also has the skill Herbal Lore, Create Trap, Read Magic, or Healing Arts, the base time to identify an item based on that production skill is reduced to 30 seconds per item."

The recent thread about MI & JoAT made it seem like JoAT was providing the ability to identify, so I was wondering, does Jack of All Trades allows you to identify all production items?

Jack of All Trades, in my opinion, is a magical effect that negates the requirement for Educated. It specifically indicates that it allows identification, so I would definitely say that yes, JoaT allows you to identify even if you do not have Educated.

Upvote 0
I agree that it should allow you to identify without Educated, but I disagree with @Durnic as to the description of the ritual.

It does not actually state that it allows identification, but rather, it lets you be treated as having HA/RM/CT/AL for purposes of identification. Of those four skills, only one provides the ability to identify, which is CT.

Which is why I asked on the Marshal forums if JoaT is intended to give the benefits of Educated, but nobody wanted to respond to me. >.>

Upvote 0
It's been two days Evan. Slow ya roll.

Rules as Written (RAW): JoaT does not allow identification without Educated except for Create Trap. I do think that it _should_ but that would require a ritual scroll text update, which is beyond the scope of a Marshal. I see that a clarification for ARC has been set, and in this case, I think it's appropriate.

Upvote 0
@Polare clarified this via ARC ruling:

If you don’t have Educated, JoaT does not provide you identification abilities.

Upvote 0
Back