Doubts

Don't worry about Fear, Ashe, I already kicked his backside around the tavern five times or so before I broke my greatsword off in his chest and he went *paff*. I don't think he'll be back anytime soon, and if he does get re-empowered, well I've learned a few more dance steps since. It'd be fun.

Everyone else, the Strega was a highly emotional time for all who were there, and no one who was not can truly appreciate what it did to all who came through the other side of it. Not saying we've had it worse than everyone else in all the multiverse, but it was a time of deep personal loss that some of us are still plumbing the depths of. I would suggest it be treated like one of those family tragedies that no one speaks about at holidays but everyone thinks about it just the same, and keeps a small memorial in their hearts for private mourning.

I know I do.

Avaran said:
Point of fact, what we fought last week was (dare I say this?) a joke in comparision.

The full and utter truth. The Strega slain last week was not nearly the Strega that we slain a year ago.

The Strega then had legions of hags, humunculi, iron golems, diamond golems, crimson mists, stone elves, greater hags, undead, and even Guerra the Fae of War himself. Her very words seeped and penetrated the very core of your spirit and resonated with the very essence of total and utter destruction and annihilation. Her very presence split the sky apart and began to sunder this world. The only reason we were able to stay around long enough was because the Fae and the recently purified dragons were using every ounce of power they had to keep our previous world together. She had no remorse, and no consideration for anyone. On the field, she would speak and everyone, even the hags who worshipped her as an idol and beloved leader, would fall to the ground dead.

During the few couple of days hallmarking her entrance into this world, she attempted to turn a few of us adventurers to side with her. She gave promises of power; promises of no suffering in the new world she had planned; promises that everything would be better than before if she were allowed to succeed. These were all baldface lies, everyone of them. She lives for nothingness: existance insults her and taunts her. She had it to the point where had the dragons not been purified, and Tempest not been cured of bloodtears, then there would have been no rebuilding of a new world like we have had the fortune of. There would be no other plains to flee to, no existance as a departed spirit. Just her, and the endless reaches of the void.

Had you been standing in the presence of the real Strega, you would have felt the nausea that all living beings felt in her presence. You felt in the very cauckles of you heart that she was pure and utter wrong, and that her existance was not meant to be allowed.

Honestly, I am glad that neither you, goodman Jax, nor you, goodman Ashe, were not around to witness the carnage she wrought upon this world. There have been some things that I have seen that will forever haunt me until the grave. Specifically, seeing a patchwork golem comprised of body parts from former guardsmen whom you used to call friends.

Yes, we did what was right. We fought against the very destruction of life itself, as she would not allow as such after destroying the weave. If you are to then ask "How do you know for sure," then I would have to say "You'll have to take my word for it." After spending as much time amongst the Fae as I have, and even being a Fae for a brief period of time, I know the machinations of how a Fae thinks. We did what was best by stopping her.

Ashe,

Please look at what I had first said, I have never been seen in this town before. I did not fight against this monstrosity that these people have, but I bow my head in respect to this town and its people for having done so. I never claimed to stand along side them as they battled this evil, nor did I claim to be here a week or so ago when something of the like found its way to this town. I simply stated that my brother has made this his home, and in doing so, he has made it mine. I am not an adventurer, I seek a home, land to maybe build a farm on, and maybe raise a family on if I am lucky. I do not seek a fight with anybody, but I will defend myself, this town, and those who are in need of it. Please for give me if it sound I was boasting in some way, I have nothing to boast about. If you wish to talk to me, or anybody for that matter, all you need to do is ask. We can speak over dinner, a drink, or a game of cards? But for now, I need rest, and I do not wish to drag this towns deeds threw the mud with this dream any longer. To everybody who hears this dream, be safe, you all sound for the most like great people and I can not wait to meet you all.

Demitri

Goodman Jax, I will approach your statements and questions in the philosophical vein that I believe you have intended them. If I am in error regarding your intentions, please feel free to correct me.

Cerulean Jax said:
Because there is a balance to everything.
Existence does not imply necessity. I can have an orange ball with a red core. Does this then mean that orange must be cored by red? What is the basis by which you test your theory?

If you have light, you must also have dark.
Dark does not exist. There is light that you can perceive, and light that you cannot. "Dark" is simply a phrase used to refer to the latter. There is no such thing as "dark". (Indeed, a quest undertaken by a former companion of mine, Baron Kiril Darkcloud, depended greatly on his ability to discern the difference and know it to be true)

Day must have night.
I have visited and in fact lived in lands that have never known night, and likewise realms in which daylight has never brooked the sky. My experience, then, tells this to be false.

Good must have Evil. Right must have Wrong. Life must have Death.
Bold statements do make a thing true. To start, good and evil, and right and wrong, for all intents and purposes, may, by some, be seen as simple discussions of "stuff I agree with" and "stuff I don't agree with". When viewed in that light, Good and Evil can be said to not actually exist.

Without a balance, they both suffer.
Examples?

But i'm beginning to question whether the Strega was really the one threatening the balance...or was she attempting to set it all straight again?
At its core, the Stregga sought to remove the world as it was, and replace it with the world that she would have be. It is not a question of whether or not she was an agent of your questionable theory of balance, but survival. In order for the people to survive as they were, she needed to not survive. It is not a matter of cosmic right versus cosmic wrong. It is a matter of continuing to exist, or not.

Perhaps the balance has been destroyed, not by her, but by stopping her.
You seem to contradict yourself. If balance exists in everything, how can defeating her, or having her win, "destroy the balance". Surely there must be balance in that as well, by your theory?

Ultimately, questions of whether or not we as individuals or as a people in totem are doing the "right" thing are futile, if we think to be measured in some universal manner. There is no scale against which we can balance the morality of our actions. In the end, it comes down to choices. Do I (speaking in the general) choose to serve the King and use him as my guide for what is right and good? Or do I choose to serve my inner conscience? From a philosophical stance, can either be trusted throughout all time and experience?

In the end, there are values we have. Those which support those values we term as "Good" and those which act counter to those values values we term as "Evil". The Stregga sought to act counter to the values of the people as a whole, and thus, can be accurately seen as evil, and needing to be stopped. Similarly, those who acted independently but in a manner that assisted her in achieving her goals can also been seen as such.

The Stregga was not so much a question of evil, as being against us. And thus are the lines drawn.

@~}~~
Sir Gregor

Jax

Your meandering's castrate themselves into the simplicity of "do the ends justifty the means"
Balance, order, good, evil, right, wrong...it's all beside the point.
The Stregas actual intentions or potential for harm, or good, fall to the wayside when you stop even for a moment to concider how she fought to see her goals realized, and by the time the sky splits open, judgement is nought but a fancy word, and the only course of action is obvious.

If the animals of prey all succesfully ran and hid from thier predetors, there would be an imbalance as the wolves all died away, and the rabbits ravaged the vegetation everywhere, but it is not a matter of good, or evil, that the rabbit runs.
What's done is done. The strega was the wolf, we, the rabbits, ran and escaped. The stregas efforts to feed led her and her entire pack to starve and slip from power

-Ikrit

Back