Drain vs Enfeeble

Elros

Minnesota Staff
Drain, as an 8th level necromancy spell (costing 40 production to put into a potion) does the exact same thing that Enfeeble does, costing 30 production to put into a gas globe to throw, without the illegal consequences. And in fact seems to be slightly better than drain, in that enfeeble specifies crawling speed, where drain says walking speed. Just throwing my two cents out here, and there are probably things I'm not considering such as which effects affect what things etc. etc. But drain seems like it could/should be a scarier effect for its level. Like adding in disease's "no effect from healing" or something of the sort, cuz right now drain just seems like an illegal reskin of enfeeble.

There's a balance in the cures; Drain can only be removed via 8th level Purify; Enfeeble can be cured by 20 PP Antidote.*

*I mean, Death fixes both.

Also, Enfeeble is only available to PCs via the Poison qualifier, and many more creatures are Immune to Poison (and Alteration) than to Necromancy.

Enfeeble is also available from the sleep/enfeeble blow weapon skill

Also, Enfeeble is only available to PCs via the Poison qualifier, and many more creatures are Immune to Poison (and Alteration) than to Necromancy.

Do you have data regarding that immunity comparison? Constructs and elementals are immune to both. Undead benefit from Drain, immune to Alteration. I’m not familiar with the typical immunities for standardized Fey/MC/whatever else.

Right, I forgot about Sleep/Enfeeble Blow, oops.

And no hard data, since I don't have access to an updated Monster Database, but from what I've seen while helping out the Plot desk, "Immune to Poison" and "Immune to Alteration" showed up a lot more frequently than "Immune to Necromancy". It could be that they were simply not running much Immune to Necromancy that weekend, but in my experience the former two are a lot more common than the latter two.

Drain potion can be put into a weapon with the rituals or even be put into a spell store with the right high magic and potion crafting. There are more ways now to drain someone than there are for enfeebling someone I think.

Back