Dryad Makeup

markusdark

Knight
So I have a question about the makeup requirements:

"To play a dryad you must use makeup and
costuming appropriate for the type.... Makeup
can be as simple or as creative as you wish, as
long as it is nature-inspired."

I'm assuming "Makeup" refers to some sort of colored face paint. My question is that could "Simple" be as simple as a leafy vine or flower drawn on your face? I'm planning on making a Dryad with bright green hair and a green goatee and eyebrows so not sure how much more makeup I need to put on.

I've seen people do everything from full-face green makeup (made markedly different from Orcs by use of multicolored shading) to constructed wigs (sprayed green with vines and flowers and leaves attached) to painted on vines.

green makeup: http://s283.photobucket.com/albums/kk29 ... esh024.jpg
vines and wig example: http://alliancecrossroads.com/page/show ... 0-calendar (the cover of the Calendar)

I think as long as it's obvious you're a Child of Autumn and not a human with a plant fetish you should be good. Maybe take a picture before the event and send it to your chapter's owner and/or Head of Rules and make sure it's ok?

(edited cuz I found photos)

funny thing about that make up job....i had NO IDEA what i was going to do for tempesta's make up until i stepped into game friday night...and That (green face) is what i came up with...i also used copper around the eyes and stuff...her hair is made out of yard and has sea shells in it...i got a skull cap and pulled yarn through it then made that little leather head piece to cover it..the back of her covering is all slices of loofah and fake plants i sewed on with the same yarn i used on her hair..the front is just strips of material woven and sewn on (going for a woven seaweed look). she does have "sea elf" ears but i painted them green for the november event and i liked that much better than the white ears with green webbing..i always said i would never play a make up intensive character heheheheh then i made her...go figure

When I first read about Dryads, my first thought was of a character often found in the mythology of the Brits -- the Green Man (I was a Morris Man for about a dozen years).
green-man-2.jpg

Here's a British Green Man ... seems to be standing outside of a public house.

Here's XTC's song "Green Man" which I love and which discusses the celtic guy, but has nothing to do with dryads :)
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbhQURN9Szw[/youtube]

phedre said:
I've seen people do everything from full-face green makeup (made markedly different from Orcs by use of multicolored shading) (...)
Whoa now, that's an orc. Nothing about the person in that picture suggests that they're a dryad to me, and they very much look like an orc. Is there parts of that costume that are missing that should suggest otherwise?

After showing it to a few people everyone I showed it to came to the same conclusion (except for the people who assumed it was an NPC playing a goblin, probably because of the tabbard, but when told it was a PC, all guessed either orc or ogre).

obcidian_bandit said:
phedre said:
I've seen people do everything from full-face green makeup (made markedly different from Orcs by use of multicolored shading) (...)
Whoa now, that's an orc. Nothing about the person in that picture suggests that they're a dryad to me, and they very much look like an orc. Is there parts of that costume that are missing that should suggest otherwise?

After showing it to a few people everyone I showed it to came to the same conclusion (except for the people who assumed it was an NPC playing a goblin, probably because of the tabbard, but when told it was a PC, all guessed either orc or ogre).
Indeed, when I asked my brother (who is poorly acquainted with LARP race requirements), he immediately said the person looks like a goblin. After my saying it was supposed to be a dryad, he could see how it works if you were a dryad, though you may not recognize them as one upon first seeing them. To me, the person just isn't plant-like enough. Like my brother said, it's good enough to be considered good enough (it is quite nicely done), but I like to think of dryads as people with plants growing on/out of them, and she has a minimal amount of that. When I play a Dryard in future, I'm going to wear some green makeup, but I'm also going to stick on some big leafy eyebrows and twirl some vines into my hair, leaving little doubt to any who sees me what race I am. I might enough give myself a leaf mustache or beard.

So overall, in my opinion, being green for a dryad is fine, as long as you have enough other leafy or otherwise plant-like attributes to compliment the green. When in doubt, add more foliage.

the character does have a bit of plant add ons....from the view its in the back...I look at it and dont see a High orc..a) to many shades of green, orcs dont have shade...b) no tusks ....c) ears?? nope orcs dont have funny ears...d) Eye black..most orcs Ive seen or meet have had somekind of Eye black or red...strips..to show that they are not a monstr Orc or goblin..

Hold on:
MKing said:
a) to many shades of green, orcs dont have shade...
I have no idea where you got this idea. If the makeup of all the orcs in your area is a paste of uniform green, they're doing it wrong. (And I don't really mean 'incorrectly' by that, just poorly. I totally understand that to do your makeup very well takes a lot of time, effort, and skill that many people just don't have, so I'm all for cutting those people some slack. But seriously, orcs aren't "One Shade of Green" any more then ogres are 'fire hydrant yellow.' The person in this picture has very well done orc makeup.)
MKing said:
b) no tusks ....
Tusks usually look dumb, and I've been in more than one chapter where they were unofficially 'optional' because of that.
MKing said:
c) ears?? nope orcs dont have funny ears...
Neither do Dryads.

Scavengers don't require them either, but I see them on scavengers, dryads, orcs, ogres, and, of course, all varieties of elf. (Unless your argument is that this person must be an elf because of their ears, which I guess is a stronger arguement than that they are a dryad, actually.)
MKing said:
d) Eye black..most orcs Ive seen or meet have had somekind of Eye black or red...strips..to show that they are not a monstr Orc or goblin..
I've never seen that. Now, I don't see a lot of orcs, but I can't recall it ever coming up in the last decade or so. I haven't seen the race packet in a few years, but I'm not sure why they would do that. Maybe it's a local thing to your chapter?

It doesn't look like any of your points here hold water. If you come up with some new ones, please start at "e)" in case we need to reference the earlier ones.

obcidian_bandit said:
MKing said:
b) no tusks ....
Tusks usually look dumb, and I've been in more than one chapter where they were unofficially 'optional' because of that.

Makeup requirements should never be considered 'optional'. Else I'll be expecting my Dark Elf makeup to be optional during rainy days since it looks VERY dumb with a white stripe running down the middle of my face.

Make-up requirements are just that... required. If for some reason you cannot comply with a race's makeup requirements I suggest you talk to your chapter staff about changing to another race with standards that are more comfortable for you.

markusdark said:
...Else I'll be expecting my Dark Elf makeup to be optional during rainy days since it looks VERY dumb with a white stripe running down the middle of my face.

This sounds like a job for more sealant, personally.

Saephis said:
markusdark said:
...Else I'll be expecting my Dark Elf makeup to be optional during rainy days since it looks VERY dumb with a white stripe running down the middle of my face.

This sounds like a job for more sealant, personally.

I use water based makeup and hair spray. I do not seal makeup or use oil based cremes because of physical reasons. But the 'skunk' effect is what stopped me from playing that character any further than the two events before the rainstorm I hit.

obcidian_bandit said:
Hold on:
MKing said:
a) to many shades of green, orcs dont have shade...
I have no idea where you got this idea. If the makeup of all the orcs in your area is a paste of uniform green, they're doing it wrong. (And I don't really mean 'incorrectly' by that, just poorly. I totally understand that to do your makeup very well takes a lot of time, effort, and skill that many people just don't have, so I'm all for cutting those people some slack. But seriously, orcs aren't "One Shade of Green" any more then ogres are 'fire hydrant yellow.' The person in this picture has very well done orc makeup.)
MKing said:
b) no tusks ....
MKing said:
c) ears?? nope orcs dont have funny ears...
Neither do Dryads.

Scavengers don't require them either, but I see them on scavengers, dryads, orcs, ogres, and, of course, all varieties of elf. (Unless your argument is that this person must be an elf because of their ears, which I guess is a stronger arguement than that they are a dryad, actually.)
MKing said:
d) Eye black..most orcs Ive seen or meet have had somekind of Eye black or red...strips..to show that they are not a monstr Orc or goblin..
I've never seen that. Now, I don't see a lot of orcs, but I can't recall it ever coming up in the last decade or so. I haven't seen the race packet in a few years, but I'm not sure why they would do that. Maybe it's a local thing to your chapter?

It doesn't look like any of your points here hold water. If you come up with some new ones, please start at "e)" in case we need to reference the earlier ones.

E) and none of what you posted does any better... :)

Im glad you can find fault in what I posted....what you post is no help either...other than pointing out that you have gone to chapters that do not follow the rule book....as for the eye black...I have seen most every High Orc and many High Orge with it on the EC..so maybe thats something of a "local" thing, that I seen for the last couple of decades.

obcidian_bandit said:
MKing said:

I blame the LOTR movies. The Uruk-hai were big into painted face stripes, so obviously that's how Orcs should look.

If it's green, and has tusks, it's an Orc.

Wraith said:
obcidian_bandit said:
MKing said:

I blame the LOTR movies. The Uruk-hai were big into painted face stripes, so obviously that's how Orcs should look.

If it's green, and has tusks, it's an Orc.

that maybe for "new" players, but I have seen and done this for close to 20 years now...well before the LOTR movies...and it was so that there was a difference between npc monster orcs and High Orcs (or 1/2 orcs from ages past)

honestly the seaweed and leaves are in the back. i tried to sew seaweed onto her costume however....it dried out and fell off of everything i tried to do with it. :( since she is a REED i could not draw vines...but there are seashells in her hair...and her hair is made of moss looking material...also..she is a child...in game she is only 13 years old...i am playing her that she will develop more and more leaves as she ages...also the brown around her eyes was fall make up...she will have other brighter colors for spring...i think as long as you follow the rules...it doesn't really matter what anyone else thinks about your costume and make up :D

Back