Dual-School High Magic Confirmation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gandian Ravenscroft

Knight
Chicago Staff
Marshal
Just confirming: If a character has both Earth and Celestial Formal, he/she cannot use their High Magic in one aspect to augment spells from their other aspect's tree, correct?

Example: SuperWiz the Dual-Schooler wants to use 2 points of his Earth High Magic to Magic Augment a Dispel from his Celestial column. Can he do so?

I was just doing some logistics prep, and this came up, so I wanted to check.

~ Alexander

The text as written is not clear. If you only possess Formal Magic in one school, you can only apply the HM to that school. If you possess both schools of Formal Magic, you have to keep the pools separate and spend them separately. The first indicates to me that the intent is likely that you cannot Magic Augment a Celestial spell with Earth High Magic, but such a thing is not disallowed to someone with both schools of Formal Magic by a strict reading of the text. If I'm not missing something, this seems like a good candidate for an ARC post to me, a couple quick searches of the ARC forum for "Magic Augmentation" and "High Magic" don't turn up anything relevant.

The relevant ARB sections are:

ARB pg 136 said:
Characters possessing battle magic spells
in both schools can only use High Magic to
augment spells from the school in which they
possess the Formal Magic skill.
Characters possessing Formal Magic levels
in both the earth and celestial aspects must
allocate their High Magic points separately for
each aspect. These points cannot be combined
in any way.

and

ARB pg 138 said:
Magic Augmentation
Each time this ability is selected, the caster
chooses one of their battle magic spells already
memorized that Logistics period. This augmentation
changes the verbal required to deliver this
single spell. This spell can now be delivered as
“Magic: <spell name>” and follows all effects
and deliveries rules. The augmented spell must
be declared at Logistics and marked appropriately
on the spell tag. The Augmentation will
persist up to five days until used or otherwise
expended, so long as the caster does not swap
out the Augmented spell from their spell selections.
This ability may be purchased once for
every 9th level spell slot a caster can memorize.

Upvote 0
Based on the first section that Brian quoted above me, I'll say 'no.' While he's right, it doesn't actually say you can't, contextually I believe that it is intended to say that. The "Cannot be combined in any way," bit I think is pretty pertinent here re: the intent. Furthermore, based on past rulings about combining cross-school formal magic in other contexts, mixing schools is always shot down, so I'd go 'no' from that standpoint as well. (I don't like it, but I still think that that's the correct ruling.)

~Matt
SEA/OR Marshal

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back