Dying and the bag of stones...

Breten

Artisan
So Cory, according to this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14065

So using me as an example, when I hit my third death next month (we all know it's gonna happen), when I pull from the bag, there should only be one black stone in the bag, not three like we were chatting about. Otherwise they aren't free deaths.

Just wait till you see what they will be charging for rezes going forward..... :whistle:

F*!# Its one black one white right?

>_> I was never a fan of the coin toss in Underworld, if there is a place to debate what might be changed in the death mechanics I want inz!

EDIT: Found it, it was not within line of sight, but just on the floor on the other side of the office trash can =Z.

You are correct, Brett. "There will be one Death Stone for each time you have died beyond the two free resurrections." You then add white "Life" stones until there are 10 stones total in the bag. So your 3rd death has a 10% chance of being permanent. As an aside, when this happens you need to return to where you died and leave a note saying "You find <name's> permanently dead body here." so someone has to get you if they want to perform burial rites.

According to the book, this is done "When you show up to the Greater Earth Circle to resurrect.", so it seems to be *before* to 10 minute waiting period (I remember someone having that discussion with Frederick last weekend and not being certain.) Page 94 if anyone wants to re-read the section for themselves.

Last thing I'd like to mention is you can spend goblin points to 'buy off' the 3rd death, but each time you die there will always be at least a 10% chance, because you can't buy off your 'free' ones.

Garnett said:
>_> I was never a fan of the coin toss in Underworld, if there is a place to debate what might be changed in the death mechanics I want inz!

Rule change discussions go in Rules Theory on these boards.

(What I had written before I found my book;)
From my recollection, it's three black and 7 white. I'll double-check though, as soon as I can find where I put my book after I unpacked it. I believe it says something along the lines of one black stone per death and then add white stones until you have a total of 10.

So, no, they aren't 'free' deaths, you just can't permadeath on the first two, and then have a 30% chance of permadeath that increases each time.

Your edit is correct.

Just some advice, if there is a discrepancy, feel free to ask questions. As a matter of fact, ask lots of questions. It's understandable that there are confusions. I've been playing for almost 17 years and I still get confused.

Breten, be careful. There are a lot of people that are in the 10% club...I was one of them (there was an adjudication due to a few npcs throwing more spells then they had).

Gilwing said:
Your edit is correct.

Just some advice, if there is a discrepancy, feel free to ask questions. As a matter of fact, ask lots of questions. It's understandable that there are confusions. I've been playing for almost 17 years and I still get confused.

Breten, be careful. There are a lot of people that are in the 10% club...I was one of them (there was an adjudication due to a few npcs throwing more spells then they had).

Yeah, hopefully I survive July. If not I got my backup ready to roll in. I'm just glad there's only gonna be one stone as I might survive. With 3 it would be really unlikely with my gaming luck.

From my experience "dying" tends to happen when things go "straight to hell", or someone's plan; be it plot or a player; goes too right.

Mind you the best way to prevent it really is "working together", our fine Colonel made the great point that players "hung tough" this time around. Once the players get a better feel for who "works well" and "skills" you may even find yourself more surprised just what you survive through teamwork.

I think the record I've seen is someone eat "six deaths" in one game...and made all their draws. Furthest I've ever seen is "six black stones" and surviving their draw...I believe at that point the character finally started buying deaths back. :shock: But in the same game we have seen a player draw for the first time and URRRKKKKK GAHHHHH...yep black stoned baby. :tears: You just never know.

Laurent Justeau said:
Mind you the best way to prevent it really is "working together", our fine Colonel made the great point that players "hung tough" this time around. Once the players get a better feel for who "works well" and "skills" you may even find yourself more surprised just what you survive through teamwork.

Yup - too be fair the people who died last event more or less went off kind of at random and found trouble they weren't prepared for (or so I'm told, I wasn't there, but I was in the area when the group was forming up but I thought the Biata were going to start another quest that we wound up not doing since we need more reasearch. I might have been there too if I had known earlier that was nixed!)

I like the Colonol's tactic ideas, we'll keep trying stuff until we get more organized and have a better overall understanding. Now that Math has blacksmithing (or should, depending on BPs gained) he can be the one that stands in the middle, leaving the people who are skilled at fighting to do the fighting! Math has a quarterstaff, but I suspect it's more for defence or the occasional whack if an enemy lets their guard down.)

I think the record I've seen is someone eat "six deaths" in one game...and made all their draws. Furthest I've ever seen is "six black stones" and surviving their draw...I believe at that point the character finally started buying deaths back. :shock: But in the same game we have seen a player draw for the first time and URRRKKKKK GAHHHHH...yep black stoned baby. :tears: You just never know.

That's part of the reason Math doesn't even really want to incur his first death, which is why his reaction last weekend has been to RUN (or call for help if enemies appear behind him, even though the last day he had to call 3-4 times before people started falling back!)

I just need to pipe in here and add that, yes, the Colonel is friggin' awesome. :shades:

We shouda let him die, he coulda handled it.

Breten said:
We shouda let him die, he coulda handled it.

Yeah that one night sucked for him - he called 'breach' and then all the gnolls started focusing on him! I think he got pinned around that time too I slipped him a couple of potions to help him stay up.

The Colonel is nigh indestructible. Bring it! :shades:

Back