Empowered Armor with no blacksmithing

MaxIrons

Knight
Marshal
So. Dumb question that I'm actually running up against. I'm a few build shy of Blscksmithing, but would like to use the Empowered Armor ritual on my character Can I activate Empowered Armor if someone else refit my armor? I can see a case made for either way.

Grammatically speaking, the wording indicates the user of the armor is also the one who is performing the refit, so it wouldn’t be able to be activated by someone else.

This might not be intended, and if not, it would need a bit of rewording “After the target armor has completed a Refit, the user gains....once per Logistics Period.”

I would like to think that as long as you're wearing the armor you don't have to be the one to refit it to gain the benefit, since I can't think of any other Magic Item that has a similar restriction; the others that spring to mind all require you to perform the action by default (anything requiring Meditation, for example).

That said, wording is important, so while I would rule it that way for the sake of Not Being Needlessly Pedantic, I'm siding with Draven and saying it could use some cleanup on the text to remove the ambiguity.

Mystic Smith has the same restriction; only the user can activate it.

The wording is different, but yes, the text indicates that's the case with Mystic Smith.

Oddly enough, though, the text of Empowered Armor suggests you can activate it after refitting someone else's armor; it specifies that the user has to complete a refit, not that the armor itself has to be refit.

I think they both need a rewrite if the intent is that you don't have to refit your own armor to make use of them. :/

I'll just await an official answer then. :) I gots time.

Back