Ending the Tempest

Darkcrescent

Baron
Chicago Staff
Marshal
Friends of Atupal,

Many years ago I set out to do the impossible: find a way to rid the country of the Tempest surrounding our borders. It has obviously become a enormous problem for Gavaria as a whole over the last months, but with recent developments over the last year in part from adventurers like DeSylvia, Eve, Liddia, Tel’rendir and many others, I feel we are finally on the cusp of ending this storm that Ris’sunus controls.

Ris’sunus’ power seems to stem from magical light, so through extensive experimentation and many long nights, I have successfully developed a method for casting an expanded Darkening ritual that will fill a massive, open area instead of the confines of a structure. This ritual will involve multiple smaller Darkenings cast by multiple Celestialists at focal points surrounding a section of the sea, filling the area with a darkness so black that not even the strongest lightning will be able to penetrate it. It is my hope this area will be cast around the eye of the storm - beneath which Ris’sunus’ lair is almost certainly located - and thus prevent that font of their power from both affecting the weather and from feeding further into the monsters’ strength.

However, there is one last catalyst needed for a ritual of this scale, and that is a jar of Abyssal Ink. It can be harvested from a large purple octopus not unlike those discovered during the last time the adventurers helped gather Prismatic Pearls, and I have located a cove where a sufficiently large specimen is located. I will arrive in Atupal on the night of Friday the 27th to bring folks to this octopus’ location and further explain the ritual we will be attempting.

On a related note, as I imagine you will encounter Ris’sunus in the deepest depths of the Opal Sea, I will need a group of adventurers to collect more Prismatic Pearls for the Aquatic Adaptation ritual that will ensure you can all breathe, move, and fight underwater to the best of your ability. This task should be easily able to be accomplished by even those with minimal adventuring experience, though it is best to do when there is sunlight out.

Once we have the Abyssal Ink, we can sail out to the focal points and cast the rituals the following day as well, but the storm will make that difficult. The lightning out there is devastatingly dangerous, and to that end, I’ve commissioned a potent lightning rod from Bellveth Lungsteel that, with luck, should help mitigate the worst of its effects. Even then, we’ll have to contend with the Alkonosts and other monsters that infest that part of the sea.

I know we can end this storm, and I know you all will be the heroes to do it.

Anivia Amberheart, The Tempest
Court Wizard of Cinem

Wizard Amberheart,

I will, of course, assist in all procurement processes as well as dispensation of Celestial magics. How many Darkening focal points will be necessary and will this augmented dragonscript need to be Ritually cast or Spellcrafted? In either case, how difficult will the magics be to direct? I can work with the Celestial community on marshalling resources and magi.

On a related note, must the octopus be slaughtered to harvest the Abyssal Ink? It saddens me everytime our magics require lifeblood as fuel.

Dramthin Hartsboon
Tomebearer, Vicomte Rosen
Keeper of the Tainted Grove

Keeper Hartsboon,

Ideally there would be five focal points, with each requiring a different primary caster. However, you might be able to do it with fewer, but it risks flaws by doing so.

As to casting, it must be fully cast and requires the same difficulty as a normal Darkening (Difficulty 3).

As to the catalyst, while it can be acquired without taking the octopus' life, it will be much easier to simply kill it.

Anivia

ill help in some way too
sable

Back