Endow Body Dragging

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lurin

Duke
I think this falls more under the spirit of the rules clarification, and since I wasn't there for this effect to be created I thought I'd toss it to ARC to clarify as I can't find a strong answer either way with the question.

Situation - Player A goes down in a fight, Player B has an endow, runs by taps the person on the shoulder states 'endow I grab you (or in some cases +5 strength I grab you) and runs 5 steps and beckons player A (who is still getting to their feet to rep their body being moved) and states they are over here now.

One point of view - This is not valid, you need to rep picking up the cumbersome, large body, before running with it, this is most directly in line with the exact wording of the book (you may run WITH the body, as opposed to in front of it). This also prevents issues of 'well I hit the dead body over here with a death spell, you have to take the effect as you were carrying him, or the person carrying a body dodges a different spell nimbly, while 'dragging' a corpse.

A different point of view - I have an endow/super strength, I could easily drag the weight of a body behind me for a few seconds, but I can't effectively rep that.

So my question is What is the intent of the ability of endow specifically (as the answer to that, fairly well answers LCO +strength effects/golems) in this situation? Do you need to make sure the body is picked up? Should it be a three-count, or does a simple tap/grab on the shoulder be sufficient?

This post is to inform you that your question is currently being discussed by the ARC and once some clarification has been made will be posted here. Depending on the level of clarification and discussion (and potential involvement of the Owners or other national staff, if needed) this may take time.

The intention of Endow and/or Strength is to allow a player to physrep things that are normally impossible to do, like grab another person (regardless of comparative weights) and run for a short time. To facilitate this, and in the spirit of "be all you can't be", this means that the player with the Endow or Strength must only indicate to the other player that they are being picked up and transported. They do *not* need to specifically wait for the person to clamber to their feet and follow along (though clearly the person being transported should make their best effort to get to where they "should" be as soon as possible).

Please keep in mind that this is an area to keep in mind the spirit of the rules. These abilities are meant to allow players to do things that would be impossible in the real world, and some suspension of disbelief is thus required to allow them to function as intended. As always, should people manipulate the rules to circumvent their spirit, it is expected that Marshals will deal with the situation appropriately.

-Bryan Gregory
ARC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back