ePipes

Durnic

Knight
I have had an idea (ie, I am not at all sold on this idea) of getting one of those epipes to smoke in the tavern or outside the tavern for a little in-character thing. The vapor that is exhaled from these things is water vapor only, not the tar and other horrible things in normal pipe/cigar/cigarette smoke. Hell, it doesn't even smell bad.

Would this be an okay thing? Y/N/H? I fully understand it some people aren't comfortable with it. I just thought it would be a neat little thing to do in-game for atmosphere reasons.

I'm not a smoker usually so I don't want to drop the money on one of these things if people are going to hate the very idea.

That's a site/chapter thing. We can't do anything that even remotely looks like smoking on the BSA sites in Washington or Oregon, and both states have laws prohibiting people from smoking indoors. Legally, I don't know that we even have an option, since I have no idea what those e-cigs are considered.

An excellent point!

To be fair, we're not using BSA sites in either chapter right now, but it's something to consider. Also, if Ron is right and e-cigs are considered cigarettes legally in WA, then you can't use them indoors.

To not get on to large of a soap box here I would like to inform you that premium cigars do not have any additives unless clearly stated. They are simply made of aged, rolled, dried tobacco. Yes there is a form of 'tar' produced when smoking them, however there are no chemicals or nasty bits that are expelled into the air like with Cigarettes. This is just simple fact. This does of course have the caveat that some lower end cigar manufactures (machine rolled usually) that add things in for flavor, and these are widely looked down on by the cigar smoking community. There are also infused cigars with have a sort of additive for flavor, usually completely natural or concentrated natural, but there again you are not talking about nasty chemicals.

Pipe tobacco is a little more complicated as the blending process is much more in depth. However, when you are talking English Blends (non flavored with additives) loose tobacco that is not cheap bulk crap you are in the clear yet again as far as chemicals released in the air. Most premium flavored tobacco is processed with food grade flavoring or natural flavoring (this tobacco is called Aromatic). The aromatic tobacco for pipes are usually not treated with any of the chemicals that are nasty and the like. When you are buying bulk, or generic pipe tobacco you are usually getting rough cut cigarette tobacco, this is usually used for roll your own cigarettes, and if FULL of nastiness, just like Cigs.

I would like to point out that this is in no way encouraging anyone to begin using any of these products, that is an adult decision for adults to make. I am a faceless person on the internet who grew up in a cigarette smoking home, and can not stand them. I personally have made the choice to enjoy cigars and pipes, and have found a great passion for this hobby. If anyone would like to talk more about this subject please PM me with your love or hate mail. If anyone has more insight or experience please feel free to correct me.

Off my small soap box and onto your question! I would HIGHLY recommend you buy a pipe for a prop. Don't go E-Pipe, they look like crap and you are still inhaling nicotine with that water vapor (unless you buy an expensive one and keep the cartridge out). For $20 you can go to a local Cigar/Pipe store and purchase a beautiful briar pipe that will look great. If you plan on actually smoking it, well than you will see it is not the greatest quality. But for $20 you can get some GREAT aesthetics. Better yet, go and look at a few antique shops, they have old pipes with great character, and because you are not looking to smoke them you don't really care about Briar quality. If you buy an antique store pipe just pull the stem off and dip it in some bleach than rinse rinse rinse - buff it a little and call it good! Use a little 'spirits' to clean out the bowl with rag and you are all set. (The bowls in antique store pipes are usually a little dusty and poor looking, that is why I recommend cleaning it with spirits. Briar is a very absorbent wood so I would not recommend using ANY sort of 'cleaner' on the wood because it will stink it up for a good long while.)

I hope this information has helped you, and I would love to see a pick PM'd to me if you decide to get one! (Oh and check out this website if you want AWESOME looking in-genre pipes, www.Lunapipes.com)

Kevar said:
If you buy an antique store pipe just pull the stem off and dip it in some bleach than rinse rinse rinse - buff it a little and call it good! Use a little 'spirits' to clean out the bowl with rag and you are all set. (The bowls in antique store pipes are usually a little dusty and poor looking, that is why I recommend cleaning it with spirits. Briar is a very absorbent wood so I would not recommend using ANY sort of 'cleaner' on the wood because it will stink it up for a good long while.)

Do you mean mineral spirits, or alcohol? The smell part indicates you mean alcohol, but I want to be clear.

I am referring to alcohol, preferably whiskey. If you are looking for an easier way to clean up the bowl, or if you actually plan to use the pipe as intended and do not want to have your experience enhanced with whiskey (some people really love a clean smoke without ANY additives.) You can use Isopropyl Alcohol, and there is a fantastic method with salt to clean out a pipe very nicely! I basically pulls most of the infused oils out of the brair, letting you start again.

-Brent

From what I understand you can buy the nicotine flavor liquids without the nicotine at all. Otherwise there's really no way that I would start up this habit. :)

My father has a collection of his father's old pipes which are fantastic looking. Cleaning them out with whisky is a great idea and one of the few things I can think of that Jack would be good for.

Thanks for the tips!

Jack is best with its good friend Coke. :) But yes it would be ok to clean out those old pipes as well. :p

Kevar,

Thank you. This has been great information to be exposed to!

I had been toying with the idea of getting a pipe for casual roleplay situations, but always assumed it would be more complicated than it looked. Thank you!

Stephen

I smoke an ecig on the regular. I am considering working with attaching a meerschaum bowl to an ecig to create an epipe. Do you think that this might be workable?

Hava

Hava said:
I smoke an ecig on the regular. I am considering working with attaching a meerschaum bowl to an ecig to create an epipe. Do you think that this might be workable?

Hava
You should show us some pictures, I know you're finished with it. :D

Just my two cents, where I work is very non-smoking,
land that includes e-cigs. I would check with the site operators, especially if there are any religious or philosophical considerations. Better safe than sorry.

Interesting random note for those using e-cigs, I have noticed a SHARP uptick in electronic 'butts' being left behind after clean up in our game. Folks just because it's a little metal casing with a plastic sheath doesn't make it okay to just leave these around, so remember to police your refill canisters! (Usually we find them in a group on a window sill or something as opposed to on the ground, rangers hate that kind of thing....trust me)

Back