Equipment questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JP Smith

In the rule book it has a spear labeled as a one handed weapon. Can I use it two handed or does it then become a polearm? Also, if I choose to use metal armor, can I make it out of other materials(like foam), or does it need to be made from metal?

JP

You may hold a spear in two hands, but you can still only thrust/stab with it, and it does the same damage as holding with 1 hand. That said, always be careful with thrusting force using any number of hands. :)

To get full armor points, metal armor must be made of actual metal. However, using other materials to make armor, you can still get some armor points--for instance, plastic plate armor can be counted as non-metallic plate (2 points). Foam armor would likely get 1 or 2 points per location, depending on how thick it is.

Last edited:
If you make something shaped like a spear according to the weapon guidelines for polearm, and get a tag for a polearm, you can use it as a polearm. However, if you are using it as a polearm as in this case, you can *only* wield it with 2 hands.

The weapon skill categories don't perfectly encompass all the types of weapons that existed in real life. As long as the weapon is made to fit one of the categories as described in the ARB weapon construction section, you can model your rep after any kind of real-life weapon type.

Also, if your character views it as a spear, call it a spear. Refer to it like a spear. Don't call it a Polearm if it's a spear to him.

It's a gigantic spear (that happens to be mechanically categorized as a Polearm)! Have fun with your spear!

Nice, thank you all for the insight. Also what gauge sheet metal does metal armor need to be, being that I'll be making my own.

Hello, JP.

The ARB (page 79 in the PDF version) gives the following guidelines for metal armor and the approximate number of points you will get. Note that final armor values are ALWAYS determined by local marshal inspection and determination

2 points: Light Metallic Armor or Heavy
Non Metallic Armor
. This level is awarded for
the following types of armor coverage: leather
10 oz. or heaver, a material with a minimum of
¼" wide metal studs 1" apart or less, a material
with at least 14 gauge metal rings
spaced 1"
apart or less, chain mail, non metallic plate mail,
light metal scale mail, and light metal plate mail.
Failure to cover at least half of the Armor
Location in these materials results in only 1
point being awarded. Failure to cover at least
one third of the Armor Location results in no
points being awarded for that area. This level
of armor on the head provides protection from
Waylay 2.
3 points: Heavy Metallic Armor. This level
is awarded for the following types of armor
coverage: heavy metal chain mail 14 gauge
American Wire Gauge (AWG) or thicker
with
an inner diameter 5/8" or smaller (can vary depending
on gauge), and heavy metal plate mail
18 gauge or thicker
. Failure to cover at least
half of the Armor Location in these materials
results in only 2 points being awarded.
Failure to cover at least one third of the
Armor Location results in no points being rewarded
for that area. This level of armor on the
head provides protection from Waylay 3.
Note that “Light Metal” is defined as aluminum
or any of its alloys and “Heavy Metal”
is defined as steel, copper, or bronze. The
marshal’s decision as to this distinction is final.

Hope this helps!

-Adam
Seattle/Oregon Rules Marshal
Seattle/Oregon Ritual Marshal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back