Experience with the NorthFur Wolf/Dog nose?

http://www.northfur.ca/shop/index.php?m ... cts_id=443

I am buying soon...wonder how close to the nose the bottom comes to?
I am going to call them and ask if no one really knows, but I am going to look at cutting holes out to the bottom because I am a nose breather and the water buildup on small noses is already considerable.

I just bought one last year. Not quite sure what your asking about the mask. But I really like it.

Anna_Rainwillow said:
I just bought one last year. Not quite sure what your asking about the mask. But I really like it.
does the bottom of the prosthetic come very close to the nostrils or is there a fair amount of distance from it?

What he's worried about (and what would worry me, too) is having his breath get "caught" in the mask if the mask clings under the nose, near the nostrils.

If condensation from breathing does collect in that area, he's going to cut a little bit off to allow his breath to escape more freely from the nose region.

Anna_Rainwillow said:
it does collect condesation alittle but i am not sure that you can trim it fix that

with an exacto knife and various latex materials, it should not be too difficult. my idea will be to try & seal the edges of the latex where I cut out to the edges of my nostrils.
I will probably be calling NorthFur and ask for their input when ordering.

Well, if you're looking at the wolf/dog nose in slush cast latex, the nostrils of the nose should be able to be cut off easily. If you're worried about condensation, place a small twisted piece of kleenex/tissue into the nose, lining the lip area, before gluing it on.
If you're looking at the wolf/dog nose in hot foam latex, the nostrils would need to be bored out. That is pick out little chunks of the foam latex to connect where your nostrils are on one side to connect to the wolf's nostrils on the other side. You can then put pieces of vinyl tubing into the area your bored out to keep it open and clear.

Hope that helps!

I had one when I was still playing Shin, but I never ended up using it for game because the way it was built was going to require either a serious strap, or shaving my beard. Test-fittings weren't terribly uncomfortable, just not a solid enough seal to fight in.

I have the condensation problem with one of their small masks (chipmunk). It's unavoidable, but much less irritating if you line the inside with something to collect the moisture.

Wraith said:
I had one when I was still playing Shin, but I never ended up using it for game because the way it was built was going to require either a serious strap, or shaving my beard. Test-fittings weren't terribly uncomfortable, just not a solid enough seal to fight in.

thats one thing i'm really worried about, i'm also doing a wolfkin and with the fighting style i'm going with one way or the other i'll get hit in the face; and i don't want my nose to fall off when it happens.

so i'm pretty confused at this point because i don't want a mask or a big strap to hold the nose because i'm going to be using alot of expression with my face and i don't want anything to mess with that. but if i don't have a wolf nose how will people know what i am?

Ithra said:
Wraith said:

thats one thing i'm really worried about, i'm also doing a wolfkin and with the fighting style i'm going with one way or the other i'll get hit in the face; and i don't want my nose to fall off when it happens.

so i'm pretty confused at this point because i don't want a mask or a big strap to hold the nose because i'm going to be using alot of expression with my face and i don't want anything to mess with that. but if i don't have a wolf nose how will people know what i am?

Face paint and ears. Practice with face paints a few times before your first event, different patterns/colors. Once you find what you like, take a picture of it, so you can reproduce it each event.

but my question is will people be able to tell if i'm a wolfkin by just those 3 things? (tail, ears on head, and makeup) or is there anything else they may think i am?

Ithra said:
but my question is will people be able to tell if i'm a wolfkin by just those 3 things? (tail, ears on head, and makeup) or is there anything else they may think i am?

Even with the nose, people can mistake a wolfkin for something else...can't guarantee they will know right off.
I am going to be making myself some fur bracers that extend over the knuckles, shin guards (still going to try & work in some sort of digigrade leg).

Ithra said:

i do this currently
the only confusion is that sometimes i am confused with a dog or a fox due to my coloring, but that is only because my wolfkin was raised as a dog and has more tendenices to that effect.

Honestly, people will confuse you with other things no matter what you do. For my Husky, I wear full makeup, have a mask, have prosthetic ears, and have a bushy black and white tail... and people ask me all the time if I am a badger... that or at night they mistake me for an undead.

Back