Explosive traps as grenades

Azmodeous

Artisan
Can the person who set a trap outside a game room roll said trap into the room, triggering the trap as it passes the 5' mark for total movement, and effect everyone in the game room?

I ask because it happened at the Seattle event last weekend and it was hotly debated upon by marshals on site. I wound up walking into the room holding the trap instead and used a trap avoidance to ignore the effect so we could move on but promised to bring it here for further discussion.

Pg 172 ARB 2.0 of Traps: "Traps are meant to be immobile and cannot be used in combat as a weapon. You cannot create traps to use as hand grenades..."

In addition, you cannot set a trigger such that they hit a Game Room, but not the triggering person. Pg 173 ARB 2.0 "Triggers for Area Traps must be entirely within the same Game Room where they are set and may not cross through partitions or barriers which would impede the effect of the trap."

It's pretty cut and dried that traps are never supposed to be able to be used in the manner that they were used. They are not a weapon, and should not ever be used as such. They are supposed to only ever be used as an environmental hazard.

Upvote 0
Yeah, let me back up Ben that with Traps in particular there is a strong precedent that the spirit of the rules (which supersedes unusual interactions based on wording or vagueness) is that they must be armed in the area they will be affecting and that "creative use of game mechanics" is discouraged. Traps can have some extremely powerful effects which are balanced against them being avoidable and subject to interaction which can disarm them. Trying to circumvent the limitations of Traps in order to use them for anything other than the intentional function as described is an abuse of the game rules. If you want to blow up a griffon you need to lure them into a trapped room and then either trick them into blowing themselves up or be willing to get blown up with them. The spirit of the rules is very clear on this point.

Upvote 0
Back