Extend Battle Magic Duration

Ryan S

Scholar
So today I was looking through the 2.0 rituals, and noticed the Extend Battle Magic Duration. With the 2.0 rules removing the Elemental Aura ritual, it occurred to me that getting a year long Enhanced Blade would be possible with this ritual.

The ritual says that it can increase the duration of any spell that is normally line of sight or lasts five days or less. An Enhanced Blade lasts 10 minutes, which is less than 5 days, and should be extendable with this ritual.

Is there something I'm not seeing?

You could totally do that. Remember, however, that if you die or get Dispelled at any point, your Enhanced Blade would drop, so it's far from a foolproof plan for a year-long Aura.

Looking at the ritual and at the "Magic Blade" spell, is there any reason it couldn't be cast on an item (aka a weapon)? The ritual specifically allows for a targetting of item. The text of the spell is "This spell allows the recipient to transform a weapon into a temporary magic-enchanted blade".

(Enhanced Blade doesn't have a full description in the 2.0, only how it differs from magic blade, so I looked at the 1.3 Magic Blade description.)

Looking at the "Dispel" description, I'd also note:
"A Dispel thrown at a person will not remove effects on any items held by that person."

So I think you could make a weapon this way, and unless the weapon was targeted specifically by the dispel it should last.

This does seem awkward, as it allows the creation of a year-long magic swinging blade, at barely more cost than a 1/day 10-minute magic aura.

Looking at the ritual and at the "Magic Blade" spell, is there any reason it couldn't be cast on an item (aka a weapon)? The ritual specifically allows for a targetting of item. The text of the spell is "This spell allows the recipient to transform a weapon into a temporary magic-enchanted blade".

The battle magic spell targets a person. The benefit of the effect applies to their weapon(s), but the effect is still on them.

The Blade spells target a character and will affect whatever they wield, rather than targeting a specific weapon. Thus, it is not possible to make an Extended Enhanced Blade that is immune to Dispel and/or the wielder dying.

Edit: Ken beat me to it by like a second!

The battle magic spell targets a person. The benefit of the effect applies to their weapon(s), but the effect is still on them.

But that literally seems to be true of _every_ battle magic, and yet the extend battle magic ritual specifically allows targetting of an item. Why would it do that except for a case like this?

The ruling Gandian links does clearly say the spell is continually running on the person (and such it would affect both weapons they were using if dual wielding). While the effect of "Magic Blade" spell is on the wielder, the text says that it "transform a weapon into a temporary magic-enchanted blade". The spell description seems to imply that while the spell is targetted on a person, that person then targets it on to any weapons they wield. The question is, can the ritual be used to extend the effect the wielder is putting on the weapon?

Though that question may be they type of situation the ritual explicitly mentions when it says "Attempting to cast this Ritual on an effect which is not a standard Battle Magic spell as per the current Alliance rulebook may result in a Backlash or other unexpected effect" as that is attempting to not target the battle magic spell but rather the effect it is generating.

But that literally seems to be true of _every_ battle magic, and yet the extend battle magic ritual specifically allows targetting of an item. Why would it do that except for a case like this?
Remember, not every battle magic spell targets a character. For example, you can cast an Extend Battle Magic on a building with an active Ward to extend the Ward for a year (which is the most common use of the ritual).

I have also heard that EBM will be changed to 20 Logistics periods, making it even better than the previous duration....

Back