First Aid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kittyfox

Does first aid heal one body point if the person is not dying? For instance, if you were at 3 body out of six, could you do first aid for a minute and bring yourself up to four?

Thanks!

Kittyfox said:
Does first aid heal one body point if the person is not dying? For instance, if you were at 3 body out of six, could you do first aid for a minute and bring yourself up to four?

Thanks!
As far as I know, from the way its written, it can only be used to stablise someone who is dieing (aka at -1 body). at any other level of body it may have no effect.

Kauss said:
As far as I know, from the way its written, it can only be used to stablise someone who is dieing (aka at -1 body). at any other level of body it may have no effect.

That's how it was explained to me, the emminant newbie. And that's the only way I've ever seen/heard it used (and used it myself).

/useless info :p

just another useless opinion:

The way I take it, first aid isnt actually healing at all, infact, you dont even consider it as giving hp. The way it is treated, as said by Phill, is that it stabalizes. And by that matter, puts the target injured person to the lowest possible stable HP, that being 1.

So, even if you could use first aid on a non bleeding out person, the effect was meant to stabalize and since they already are... no effect!

Mk, actually, a key point being missed here is that First Aid does not bring you up to 1.

You may use First Aid on any creature that you may use the skill Healing Arts on, and it only has an effect if the creature is Dying. If it is not Dying, nothing occurs. If it is Dying, then its Bleed Out Count freezes during the time that First Aid is being applied. After the minute needed to complete First Aid, the creature is now Unconscious. Unconscious is a state that a creature can be in. It means that the creature has 0 body and is not conscious. The Unconscious state lasts for 10 minutes so long as nothing interferes with it (taking damage, a healing spell, or something of the sort). Once those 10 minutes are up, the Unconscious effect ends, and you are now Alive with 1 body.

~Matt

Okay, I thought so. Thanks everybody! It just confirms that rules-unsure becca made a correct call. Always a small victory. ^_^
Becca

Izlude_Oranes said:
So, even if you could use first aid on a non bleeding out person, the effect was meant to stabalize and since they already are... no effect!

...the last Oregon event is coming back to me now...

"begin first aid"
"....no effect?"
"agh! undead!"

thanks for the clarification JP :cool:

... I think I was the first person to have that yelled at me... Yeah... that was spooky and wierd... o.o;;

I'll repeat this one just so folks understand it...

You do not say anything when someone performs first aid. No "got it," no "no effect," nothing.

First aid is the bandaging of wounds. You can do this on ANYTHING you want. You can bandage a tree if you really want to.

The only way to find out if your first aid attempt was successful is to check with Healing Arts.

Diera said:
First aid is the bandaging of wounds. You can do this on ANYTHING you want. You can bandage a tree if you really want to.

Actually, you may not, like was stated by several people before.

From the rulebook, page 44, listed under the skill "First Aid", second paragraph:
This skill only works with human-like physiologies. It will not work on animals or on monsters with no metabolism, such as undead or golems. Also, some monsters are so alien that First Aid will also not work on them.

Please double check your sources before making rules clarifications.
~Matt

I believe that Sarah's point is that you can use the skill on anything you like, which is correct. As per the sentence you quoted, however, the target of the first aiding simply might not actually receive any benefit from the action. And, as I pointed out, the target should give no indication (absent use of Healing Arts) as to whether or not the first aiding did anything.

Just like you may swing Earth at living beings until your arm falls off, you can First Aid trees until winter shrouds the land in his alabaster coat. Just don't be surprised when nothing happens.

Thank you JP for understanding the intent of my statement.

I think the point of Matt's post was to prevent people from actually trying to use the skill for something which it was never intended. While I definitely understand where Sarah was coming from, I can see how it would lead to people doing things they aren't supposed to do, and then having some newbie npc accept the first aid because they were told that 'first aid will prevent you from dieing' even though the newbie happens to be a skeleton at the time.

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back