Fortannis short story book: Stories wanted

Re: Fortannis short story book

The book is done. It's now being sent to various fantasy authors who have agreed to provide quotes for the cover (assuming they like the book!). We have Tad Williams, Jay Lake, Jody Lynn Nye, and Jonathan Maberry so far. There may be more added.

So hopefully this will be available by early summer. Then we'll start working on the next one! (I'm already accepting submissions, so get writing!)

Here are the stories with very short descriptions that hopefully do not give away too much:

"The Zombie King's Plan" (Michael A. Ventrella): Terin and the gang (from my previous novels) discover a strange biata girl whose memory was placed into magical rings that have been stolen by the Zombie King. As they work to retrieve them, they discover that something just isn't right...

"Stealing the Sky" (Danny Birt): A brave captain who had his arm bitten off by a gryphon from the lands of Thessi vows revenge. Finally, he gathered his army and, with the help of the dwarves, moved forward with a most unusual plan.

"Listen to a Tale, My Friends" (Michael Strauss): A traveling minstrel with a tale of a necromancer surprises the local townspeople.

"Bad Debts" (Bernie Mojzes): An evil ritual must be stopped by a woman who must deal with her ex-lover and his new flame first.

"Grip of Chaos" (Laurel Anne Hill): When his squire brother does not return from his quest to fight the Ice Queen, a young lad is forced to investigate the necromantic creature.

"The Great Green Kettle Pie Recipe Caper" (Roy C. Booth and Brian Woods): A timid hobling decides the only way to obtain his favorite pie from the baker who refuses to share is to break in and steal the recipe -- but things never go as planned.

"Behind the Bar" (Mark Mench): Surely no one would expect Nigel the tavernkeeper of being the man who robbed the dark elves? He's been here all along, hasn't he?

"A Rock is a Rock is a Rock … Or Is It?" (J. Thomas Ross): A group of goblin children sneak into the human's cave to learn what's so important about what they're mining, and discover a strange secret!

"The Messenger's Trap" (Matthew C. Plourde): A mercenary is not sure who to trust when he is released from prison upon his promise to simply deliver a message...

"Faith" (Tera Fulbright): A biata bent on revenge learns his true mettle when faced with a life-threatening emergency.

"A Child's Tale" (Davey Beauchamp): The kids love to hear stories of their heroes Oliver Songbringer and Aramis Llyrr, but will they act as bravely when they encounter danger in the woods?

"Suffer the Liar" (Ron F. Leota): Two con men who spin tales of mighty adventures suddenly find themselves forced to fight Ice Trolls; can they find a way to save their skins from both the monsters and the townspeople?

"The Long Sleep" (Nick Bond): The forest has awoken its defender, who must seek out the necromancers who have stolen something important.

"The Otherside Alliance" (Jon Cory): A lazy knight must obtain an alliance with Duke Frost for his king, and comes up with a brilliant plan to achieve the Duke's support...so long as no one sees through the ruse.

Fearless Leader said:
This is now at the publisher.

I wish more Alliance people had submitted stories! I had a lot of interest but only a handful submitted stories, and unfortunately some of these were not accepted.

The deadline for the next book in the series is August 1, 2011, so get writing...

More information here: http://michaelaventrella.com/fortannis.php

I'm curious about this - What exactly do you mean by "same standards of submission"? Will you provide feedback to submissions that don't meet the criteria? Just curious if someone could revise and resend the following year based on an evaluation. :)

Also - is it any story about any character in any land of Fortannis? Is preference given to original characters rather than "played" characters? Just a curiosity :)

aara said:
Fearless Leader said:
This is now at the publisher.

I wish more Alliance people had submitted stories! I had a lot of interest but only a handful submitted stories, and unfortunately some of these were not accepted.

The deadline for the next book in the series is August 1, 2011, so get writing...

More information here: http://michaelaventrella.com/fortannis.php

I'm curious about this - What exactly do you mean by "same standards of submission"? Will you provide feedback to submissions that don't meet the criteria? Just curious if someone could revise and resend the following year based on an evaluation. :)

I just mean that I will hold stories from Alliance players to the same high standards as I hold the published authors who submitted stories. If the story is fixable then I will work with the author (that's an editor's job) but even after I did that with the last round of submissions, some were still rejected.

aara said:
Also - is it any story about any character in any land of Fortannis? Is preference given to original characters rather than "played" characters? Just a curiosity :)

Nope, the only preference is given to a good story. This is a book we want to sell to everyone, not just Alliance players. Like my novels (most of which have been purchased and read by nonAlliance people) the goal is to broaden the audience.

Wow, is it really past the deadline already? Man this summer is flying by.

Is there a new deadline or should we just get stuff in ASAP?

Yeah... the deadline sort of... flew by me without realizing it.

Is there a new deadline? or should I just make pretend that it's tomorrow?

It's more of a date to aim for. I have lots of authors who have stuff outstanding. I'll basically keep the deadline open until I have enough good stories to fill the book. And if it's too late for that one, there will probably be a 3rd one as well.

Awesome! Thanks!

Back