Game abilities and prison

Cúangol

Artisan
“Magic items in your possession can be used when bound or otherwise incapacitated so long as you are able to speak. Obviously, they cannot be used when Silenced, gagged, or otherwise unable to speak (such as when under the effects of a Prison or Paralysis).” (P. 114).

0) The above applies only to certain items, right? Like “you cannot activate a life item or use a spell store” but you can use a protective like counterspell, channel armor, or vengeance, right? For example, one can still use these magic item protectives while silenced or paralyzed right?

If I’m wrong about #1 above, much of the rest of my questions will be less relevant.

1) If one is under a prison, and hit by a dispel, can one use a counterspell magic item (if they have dispel in memory)? I assume not, since the intent is that you cannot effect anything on the other side of your prison barrier.

2). Can one activate a Spirit Recall while under the effects of Prison, Paralysis, etc?

3). If one is prisoned, and hit by a “killing blow chaos”, one can use a high magic cloak against necromancy and the prison will be down, right?

4). If one is prisoned and hit with a “5 massive doom”, can one use a cloak curse? I assume not if its high magic. But on the other hand, its gotten through the barrier... The real question here: is there any example of something with a massive carrier that can get through a prison but be blocked by something?

Edit: fixed typo in #1 (can vs cannot).

Last edited:
I thought I had posted this response earlier, my apologies.

0.) It does apply only to certain items. Those items which are permanently "active" do not get turned off while in a prison. This applies to your follow up questions in certain interesting ways. That said, you can't do any of the things you bring up.

1.) The player is never struck with a spell effect as it is "stopped" by the Prison, so Counterspell cannot be used.
2.) No. Using Spirit Recall is done with voluntary activation, so may not be used.
3.) No. Cloak is a "smart" defense and you cannot use game skills while in a Prison.
4.) This is an invalid call. You may only ever have one carrier. So you could have "5 Massive" or "5 Doom" but not both. With that said, you could not even use Channel Armor against 5 Massive if it took your armor below 1, as you cannot Cloak a Massive carrier. Massive is unusual in that it specifies which few abilities can be used against it, and Cloak is not one of those.

Upvote 0
A few additions to Ben's statement:

#2) However, a Prison would not interrupt a Recall already in effect!

#3) More importantly, the player is never struck by a spell effect, so there's nothing to activate the defense against. Important clarification, because "Dumb" defenses won't work, either, like Spell Shield.

#4) This is an invalid call unless your Plot team is using an LCO carrier called "Massive Doom," which would be neither "Massive" nor "Doom." Sometimes, Plot teams like to make weird things like "Vengeance Euphoria," even though this isn't a standard effect. However, if such a thing happens, it would be a carrier called "Massive Doom," and would follow any rules that your Plot team created for it. I wanted to make that clarification, because some Plot teams color outside the lines, work outside the box, invent their own boxes....

Upvote 0
Back