Gavaria March 2024 Favorites!

Gandian Ravenscroft

Knight
Chicago Staff
Marshal
Thanks so much to our incredible Gavaria Plot Team, NPCs, Owner team, and fellow PCs for such a great start to the 2024 season! What were some of your favorites from the weekend?

I'l post mine in a little bit - I just wanted to get this train rolling.

My favorites:

Technically before the event, but working with the plot team with Kazymyr's backstory and having some really cool plot information to give to the players.

Bow Build is super fun. I had a great time blasting. Shadowing the big melee fighters and shields is so fun and absolutely destroys anything that gets in our way.

Hells, where to start? This was an incredible event.

• Iggy's farewell was heartwarming. Honestly, I didn't expect it to be that emotional -- he's not dying, after all. But knowing he won't be around is rough. But I kept it together until Euthymia sang "Here's a Health to the Company." Even then, I was fine until the verse about the ones we have lost. I'm sure Iggy had a lot of names in mind when he poured one out, but Aiden had two -- his father, Olrik, and Durinn.
    • I know that Aiden didn't make a speech or say anything at the farewell, but there's a toast he would have made if he were a more eloquent man: To Ignathis Nachtfeuer. My renshi. My friend. May your retirement be full of warm days, cold drinks, and good sparring. Enjoy your rest, brother. You've earned it.
  • The Mandrake vs. Basilisk duel was incredible. I have not been put on the back foot that hard for a while. Fighting Sid when he's got a greatsword is scary. I only survived because I was swinging body and had fortify armor up -- we still both ended up on resolutes, which felt really badass.
    • Related to this, showing the Basilisks honor and bringing them into the fold was a great feeling. "I'm joining the plant school!" Hell yeah you are, buddy.
  • We delivered a live strigoi to General Daybright, straight from the nest. Learned some "fun" new things about Countess Bancroft and her ilk. She's done playing nice with us, I think. She especially hates the Wardens -- which, I mean, fair.
  • Between the birria for midnight snack and the gumbo for Saturday's supper, the food was absolutely incredible this event. Absolutely perfect for middling temperatures with harsh winds. Very atmospheric. It actually added a lot to the vibes of the game.
  • The props this game were awesome, especially the kitsune costume. So cool. I didn't speak with the kitsune, but I also love that one of the Watchers, a being of incredible cosmic power, is somewhat bashful.
  • Watching Allura plummet from the top of a lighthouse to splatter on the rock below was schadenfreude for quite a few of us. That was also a very fun fight -- a really good way to incorporate a lot of different interesting monsters.
  • It was fun, being able to talk with the viscount about the nature of adventurers and about how we can improve communication between Atupal and Rosen. We got to ponder the implications of the age old superhero question: does the existence of powerful people fighting on the side of "good" invite the existence of powerful people fighting on the side of "evil?" It was honestly a great conversation.

A very intriguing conversation about whether or not, if you shrink people to 6 inches tall, do they still require the same amount of life support (potions, nutrients, etc) as a full size human, or if the magic shrinks their bodily needs as well. The implications of healing magic and technology if we have pixie support...

Also, as absolutely wrecked as I was by the deaths, the emotions after losing Sarvey, Garwon, and Vanya altered how I played the rest of the weekend and made a huge difference for me. That entire mod was intense

Gregor’s dueling tournament was a lot of fun, very good fights all around

I enjoyed the mechanics of the rifting archers and exploiting them by running to where their rift arrow landed

Getting around having to deal with cannibal pirate’s vengeances by physically throwing them off the boat. Didn’t always work, but when it did it was satisfying

I got to run a bit of gambling which was nice

10pm feeling like 2am and mad-libbing the greatest mod ever, and entertaining the idea of plot running it for us. Also each head of plots unique reaction to it.
“Hey would you run this mod for us? Haha jk…unless?”
The real mod was the mod we made along the way

And finally iggy’s retirement. A fine and exciting ending, witnessing his disciples claim victory with his teachings and carry on his legacy.

My brain was completely fried by the time we got home. But Thanks to all of the NPC's that helped out, we really couldn't have done this weekend without you!

Now in no specific order my favorite moments:

• The looks on the faces of those around me as the Euphoria dealer was applying for a job at the orphanage. I only want to spread happiness.
  • Spend your coin on Meltith because at least we're not Passwall
  • Watching the tourney hosted by Gregor on behalf of the Merchant Council.
  • The Feag and Taug Resonance.
  • Getting fed an apple to go away.
  • "This is kinda a self serving question, but do we sense where something might have been left"
  • Watching the group kick trees and throw spells at the trees for the creature at the tree top and try and learn the weakness and what will happen, and discovering why the entire grove of sleeping dryads was destroyed.
  • Rollig and Skoldar, playing minecraft for real when building the houses for the Taugs. (Those Lincoln logs get allot of love when they come to events)

The talk with Magnus and feeling the payoff of our high-risk move. I am so happy we are getting to do this our way. That conversation was so informative and tense yet so fun to do. Also, Magnus calling me out on my daddy issues publicly like come on man, can't a girl project her past traumas on people and feel redeemed when she saves them? Damn.

Iggy's retirement mod. Iggy and Lorelei have had their issues but Lorelei is going to miss him a lot. And if she does pick up a weapon skill, she knows who she is going to for training (if he hasn't died from old age lol)

All my political talks. Sir Euron continuously shows his faith in the adventurers, even if we are testing his limits. Moko Tanno reminded me why I wanted him as Duke. I love that man so much. I was so worried about his reaction but seeing him show the same desire to be firm yet show kindness to those that are suffering empowered me so much more. And Tilbane is still being Tilbane and showing me why he is still a lame-o.

Overall, just a general shout out to Sid for being an awesome storyteller and creating these amazing characters and stories to follow along. I am so excited to see what is next!

I am back to enjoying Lorelei again!

After a week to process everything I'm glad. those that came out enjoyed themselves! Here are my favorites:

- Reveal of the Kitsune and the rp that went along with it. It was an ambitious creation and I'm glad it came together so well.
- Impromptu storyline with Flemberg of bandits, bite marks and a witch.
- Getting to do a fight with 10 LT cards on the field, just gave it a whole different feel. Having so many unique Baykoks looked so cool.
- Iggy and Aeris vibing on the opening mod. "I really don't want to fight any of you if at all possible."
- Iggy's retirement and Basilisk vs. Mandrake. The RP, the fights. The "chair". It was fun to be so unhinged.
Lorena: AGAIN
Aicha: You only have 15 body.
Lorena: *starring daggers at Aicha* I said, AGAIN!
The whole scene was so much fun.
- Reintroducing the Aetheric Crossroads with bio-building mechanics. I described it in the car as, "You must build additional Pylons!"
-The food was everything I could have wanted

- Reintroducing the Aetheric Crossroads with bio-building mechanics. I described it in the car as, "You must build additional Pylons!"
Which is appropriate because next game is the zerg rush

Back