GenCon True Dungeon "locks" in Alliance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaxIrons

Knight
Marshal
So I got the opportunity to play a rogue in GenCon's true dungeon, which is a weird midway point between a traditional pen/paper RPG and a live action one. Stepping outside my comfort zone I played a rogue and found that they have one of the most interesting lock/trap mechanisms I've seen in a while.

The system consists of two metal plates, the top one with a design carved out, and a metal stylus. To pick the lock or disarm a trap you had to drag the stylus along the bottom plate from one end of the design the to other without touching the top plate, which would complete the circuit and a red light would come on. What I'm wondering is if a similar system, properly modified, would be acceptable as a lock/trap combination system in Alliance? The modification would be that the stylus is on a track with the bottom layer, the bottom track just smaller than a bulbous end of the stylus.

It's borderline for me, because the systems would be intertwined, with the locking mechanism (the stylus bar) holding the chest closed, and also being the part that would trigger the trap. As non-distinct entities, how would it interact with Shatter/Destroy? I guess it could be seen as a very specific trap with a specific trigger instead of a lock per se, as it doesn't require any specific tools, and isn't a pickable item.

Do you think this is viable as a trap / lock / trap & lock system?

Individual chapters have the ability to create their own lock rules, due to laws regarding ownership of lockpicks.

This doesn't seem like a Marshal question so much as a Rules Theory one.

Upvote 0
While they have this ability, my question is more if it would fall into line as within the standard rules. The more I think about it, the more it falls into the category of a trap only. The opening mechanism is trapped since if it wasn't trapped it's just a weirdly complicated clasp.

Upvote 0
I think it's a nifty idea for magical locks. Set up a module where you've found the tomb of Shadowblast the mage-thief and put in a requirement that this lock requires both legerdemain and read magic to open. Could be nifty.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back