Getting things done

Mathis

Scholar
For those of you busily tending to things between gatherings, seeking out adventure, and working toward your goals-

If you find yourself in need of assistance in achieving those goals, let me know. I am either happy to lend a hand or to help coordinate the efforts of people headed in similar directions.
I've all too often heard complaints that an individual or pair of people who were unable to accomplish tasks they wanted to finish or discovered after the fact that someone else had a key piece of information that would make their task easier.
Personally, I am working on the following, let me know if you have any insight:
  • Recovering the Dwarf King's crown from the Drevik golems
  • Attending to unbalancing elemental presences in the Prime plane
  • Dealing with forces corrupting the lands
  • Ensuring the general well being of the citizens around our adventuring communities
  • Weakening Bleak
  • Almost anything having to do with nature, elves, and unusual or powerful magic
  • Destroying undead
There are only so many adventurers and it is important that we work together.

Travel safely,
Mathis

I don't know anything about unusual or powerful magic, yet, but I would be interested in collaborating on this subject with you.

I am also willing to aid in whatever capacity I can with your endeavor to weaken Bleak. At this time I know very little about the situation and if you have time would appreciate the chance to collaborate on that matter as well.

Do you know of any Hobling communities in the area? How about places of research, specifically for researching things magical in nature? Finally, do you know of any local merchants? When last I visited, the town seemed to have a lack of merchants with any wares for sale. Is this due to the dangerous nature of the area, no merchants wish to risk the trek or is it due to a simple lack of interest in establishing trade routes or perhaps something else entirely?

Thanks,
Sticks

Mathis,
I was not able to attend this past gathering due to my responsibilities at Hearth Home. If you would be so kind as to share with me the current goings on about town I would appreciate it. You can send me a private missive or whatever suits your fancy. It has been quite a long winter and I am sure we have many things to discuss.

Sticks,
I am not sure I have had the honor to make your acquaintance. I have not yet found any hobbling communities in our areas but if I do find one I will be sure to let you know. As per your other questions, seek me out at the next gathering and I will be happy to share whatever information I have with you in regards to magics and merchants.

~Mary

Sticks-
I will be happy to provide you with additional information regarding magic and what I know of Bleak, seek me out at the coming gathering and we will talk.
As for hoblings in the area, I do not know of any communities but it is not uncommon to find an industrious merchant of the hobling variety.
Unfortunately, as you saw at the last gathering merchants in this area are in somewhat short supply. Due to the harsh winter inflicted upon us as a result of Bleak's presence merchants have had trouble traveling. There are some merchants who trade their wares near my tower and I will see if I can convince them to make the trip into our adventuring communities. Is there something in particular you need from the merchants, I have some stockpiles that I can dip into if I cannot convince others to make a profit.
Finally with regards to research, I know that the library near the Ravenswood is a good source for information on the arts of healing, the library in Dwarfhome has some information about magic, more focused on creatures and things created through rituals, and the library in the Old Capital has a fair amount of information on a variety of magic. I know there is also a library in Three Wells, but I have not visited there to know if it is focused on anything in particular.

Mary-
The short answer, that I'm sure you have seen, is that winter has been rough on the people. Bleak's influence on the land has caused an already troubling season to turn deadly. We are in the process of locating an item that was previously used to ward off these effects but it is in the hands of the Drevik (spelling?) golem army. There are, if you look at my other posts, some other options that we are exploring for dealing with Bleak in the longterm.
We also struck a blow against the Oni beneath Stonerest, killing the imp Lytabacso (again spelling?). There is still the matter of the Oni that you and Sir Nigel discovered acquiring land in the north, that will need to be addressed soon to keep it from establishing a power base in the kingdom.
We also managed to finally remove the elemental influence that has pervaded the Scar, hopefully now that area will begin to regrow.
Feel free to ask me more questions as there are things I may have forgotten.

If there is anyone else who can provide Sticks or Mary with information, please feel free to chime in.

Travel safely,
Mathis

Thanks for the information. I am not sure I understand well enough what sorts of things are available from merchants in these lands but Scrolls, Potions, and Alchemy are often useful. I would also be interested in purchasing a full spell book or at the very least a full celestial spell book. Do items in this world exist that provide magical force fields, on Tyrra they were called Arcane Armor, I would be interested in finding something like that if they exist. What about items that enhance a persons abilities. Say for example I like to cast Flame bolt spells a lot, do items exist that would make my flame bolt burn hotter? What about if I want to focus on being a Fire mage, or a stone mage, instead of doing all 4 elements, is it possible to learn how to do that and morph spells of the other elements into a chosen one. So instead of stone bolt it would become a fire bolt or something like that?

What about Familiars. Do the mages of this land have familiars or homonculi? Perhaps I should elaborate. A familiar is a companion or a friend who is oftentimes a small animal, but in some cases could be a more magical/mystical creature. A homonculi is most often created or summoned by a crafter and the homonculi is a sort of research or crafting assistant who helps them in making scrolls, potions, alchemies, weapons, so I guess kinda like a lab assistant. OH, and speaking of labs...does the town have any that are available for crafters to use? I dont know how to craft yet, but I am considering learning eventually.

Do artificers exist in this world? Artificers from what I know are folks who specialize in crafting all sorts of things but through the mastery of all those different skills learn a whole new way to craft things that sort of combines them together. Like an Alchesmith might be able to forge a weapon that has veins in the blade and small compartments in the handle that hold weapon coatings and then with an activation the liquid from the compartment goes down the vein and coats the blade very quickly.

With regards to the Golem army, do you know any more about the Golems themselves or where they come from or who controls them. Can they be reasoned with? Could we try and negotiate to get the item from them, or perhaps trade them something for it? If that fails what about strengths & weaknesses? They are golems, so I would guess they are immune to toxins, death affects, charms, and things of that nature, but what about shatter spells? As another idea, what is the possibility of infiltrating them through the use of Golem bodies and trying to "acquire" the item that way?

In terms of magic/Libraries I was most interested in places where new or rare spells might be found or discovered? For example in my world the star mages have a spell that allows them to refit a suit of armor, it is of the third circle and can be very useful if you have lots of armored warriors that your trying to support. I was unable to produce that magical effect this last gather, so either its just not possible or I need to re-learn how to perform such a spell.

I could go on and on and on with questions I am sure, but I think that is a nice range of things to start with. :)

-Sticks

Oh yeah, and is the item that will help ward off Bleak the Dwarf Kings crown, or are there two things that we need to get from the golems? If they are one and the same, or I guess even if they aren't, what sort of help can the dwarves give us in getting their crown back? We are trying to get it back for them right?

-Sticks

Sticks-
You're from Tyrra, its always nice to meet another traveler trapped by the Mists. I'll either get a merchant to come and sell their wares or bring some things from my stores. If you can read battle scrolls you'll be of tremendous use. The Arcane Armor ritual does exist on Fortanis and should you acquire the scroll and components I will be happy to arrange the casting of it for you. Also I will see if I have a celestial spellbook as well.
While my magic studies are focused primarily on the healing arts I know that knowledge of wand making has improved in the lands to the point where there are rituals and High Magic that can improve a Celestial Mage's ability to channel energy through a wand. I am unfamiliar with anyone here that has the ability with magic spells that you describe but that does not mean they do not exist. Speak to me at the gathering and I may be able to point you toward someone who can be of assistance.
As to crafting, you can certainly purchase a lab or forge but none are available to the town in general. There are however a few expert crafters in this land with skill to craft very interesting items including blacksmiths able to craft the trickleblade to that you speak of.
The golems we fight are known as the Drevik and they are currently based on the Plane of Ash. While there may be a possibility of negotiating with them the time may have passed for such action due to a number of events, the least of which is the destruction of the Brother Cities. The Drevik golems are impressive and wide ranging in ability but have demonstrated the ability to withstand substantial force when fighting in a confined space. All of them appear to be healed by lightning and they have a construct that apparently can channel such magic at will. Their constructs are also incredibly strong being able to hit hard enough to damage a person protected by a Prison spell. Their golems are fairly unique but I do not believe that anyone has attempted infiltration as we find ourselves with very few celestial casters of any note these days.
We are attempting to get the Dwarf King's crown back from the Drevik golem army because the crown supposedly holds the power to hold back Bleak's impact on the land. From my understanding during/after the previous battle with Bleak the crown was given to the ruler of the humans who fought alongside the dwarves to overcome Bleak (this may have been Emperor Augustus), so the dwarves don't have a special interest in getting the crown back, except insofar as fending off Bleak. The unfortunate post script to that tale is that the dwarves in question, who lived in the Brother Cities, are in a bit of disarray as their whole city was destroyed in the battle that culminated in Bleak escaping in the first place so the dwarves are not in much of a position to be of assistance. It would be worth noting that the adventurers were instrumental in fighting off the forces attacking the Brother Cities long enough to allow many of the dwarves to escape the destruction so if there were an emissary willing to travel to deeper into the County of Dwarfholme, where I believe many of the dwarves from the Brother Cities have traveled, we may be able to garner some measure of knowledge or assistance. The dwarves certainly have no love for the Drevik, who destroyed the Brother Cities, or Bleak, who is a once and present bane to their existence.
Hope that fills in some blanks

Travel safely,
Mathis

Last edited:
Thanks Mathis, that is very helpful. I am capable of casting battle scrolls and would be willing to purchase some from you. Do you know of any merchants in the area who have scroll channeling cases available for sale? Also, do you know of any local folks who may be willing to rent/sell the Arcane Armor scroll, what components are needed for its casting, and if those components may also be purchasable? I currently find myself with very little other then coin, my wits, and my charming personality but coin tends to be universal in its nature to accomplish things. :)

I will give some more thought to these Drevik Golems and see if I can develop any plans of note. Do you know what the Golems interest in the Dwarf kings crown is? Are they allies of Bleak? Does it have some other power that they use it for? Is it a sign of conquest over the dwarf cities? Do they simply like shiny dwarf crowns?

If we knew why we might be better able to determine a peaceful method of acquiring it from them. Sort of along those same lines, do we know what the Golems want? Are they from the plane of Ash or do they simply reside on it? Do we know anything about them as a race, society, or culture? Who leads them? How do they reproduce? What do they eat/feed on? I know these may seem like minor details, but oftentimes those minor details are key to success.

-Sticks

Sticks-
I'll see what's in the storehouse as far as scrolls
Not sure if anyone is hanging onto a Arcane Armor scroll but it will require 21 components for the largest possible casting (which you should be able to use if you have sufficient levels of formal magic which adds to amount of Arcane Armor a caster can wear). Components tend to trade for between 1.5-2 gold.
The Drevik seem to be seeking out magic and destroying/absorbing it, but it is unknown to what end. They are not allies with Bleak but it was their attack on the Brother Cities that allowed him to escape.
The Drevik reside on the Plane of Ash but are not native to there. The Ash Elementals would love to be rid of them but as I recall the Drevik are firmly entrenched in the major "city" on Ash and countering siege warfare appears to be a strength of theirs. There are non-golems, some of whom are able to possess/ride in the golems but little is known about them except that they are willing to collect resources in vast amounts. I recall hearing a rumor that they seek to return somewhere but I do not have more information than that. As with other things you'll see I have discussed there are some gaps in my knowledge and I am busy enough that I would love to see people taking a greater interest in addressing these issues. As I've said before I am happy to point people in the direction of problems I don't have a solution for so that those issues can be handled. There is more than enough good feelings/glory/profit to go around in these lands.
If you would like to investigate the Drevik further Sticks I will be happy to ferry you around to locations where we have encountered them in the past between now and the next gathering. I am moving a number of people in this way to assist in a variety of investigations and I'm happy to add you to the list.

Travel Safely,
Mathis

Thank you for the information on the Arcane Armor, since I am not capable of casting formal magic yet it might be best to wait on the Arcane Armor until I am capable of doing that.

While I appreciate the offer to ferry me around to places of Drevik activity my skills in the field are very limited. However, if you know of a library, a sage, or an expert on the Drevik or perhaps even on the plane of Ash itself that I could reach I may be able to put my mind to use devising a series of plans to deal with the Drevik.

-Sticks

Mathis,

Sorry for my delay in responding... I have been quite busy studying different things between gatherings, as you know from our other conversations. However, I did want to mention something quickly. I was going through my notes the other day, and noticed I had the following written down:

"The best way to get the Drevic to negotiate is to help them find their way home. Talk to them in their city. Can not attack city."

I believe this information comes from a Lightning Elemental, so it is reliable. However, Do we know where their home is? They are currently residing on the Plane of Ash (I have the specific city written down), but they definitely don't live there. I've got a few other notes about them, but I think that one is the most important.

Also, what do you know about the Oni acquiring land in Marrow? I have not heard much of him lately. I thought that was Liddibaxo's doing, but I will double check my notes on that when I return to them.

Sticks,

In regards to a merchant, I would highly recommend Lucky. He runs a shop in the Old Capital City, which is just a short distance away from Valborough where we will have our next gathering. Perhaps you could stop by there if you need something! If you mention that I sent you, you might be able to get a discount on some things, especially if you buy in bulk.

Safe Travels,
Banradi Irani Moduri
Master of the Waymaker Stones
Apprentice to Mathis - Order of the Emerald Flame

Last edited:
Mathis,

I'm unsure what your definition of "unusual or powerful magics", but I am an elven researcher of such things in respects to the natural order and the properties, uses, and manipulation of the five universal states of existence, which is to say Matter, Spirit, Magic, Time, and Space, all five of which are powerful in their own right. It is part of my charge to teach those with interest in such things. If nothing goes awry, I shall be present at the next gathering on the eve of fall should you desire to speak to me.

- Wycliff, the Seeker.

Back