Guilds

Ashiichan

Hello,

As one might assume, I am new to LARP, and just had my first event in Southern MN this weekend. I am a bit confused about spellbooks and Guilds/Clans, specifically what they are and what their purpose is in game. I was quite lost when they were mentioned in passing. Oh, I suppose I should mention that I am a gypsy earth healer w/up to 5th curcle magic.

-Ashley

Hi Ashley,

My name is Paul, I played Fern Woods (the guy with the hats and sideburns). I am sorry I am not placing your name and face together in my head.

You asked about Spellbooks and Guilds.

Spellbooks are what your healer would study from each day around 6pm (logistics time) to rememorize her spells. In order to prepare a spell, you need to have it inscribed in your book. If you don't have it in there, you cant memorize that spell. As you progress past 5th level spells to 6th, 7th, and above you'll find you need to find someone to not only teach you how to cast the spell level but also find ways (in game of course) to add those spells to your book or replace your spellbook with one that has the spells you need.

Guilds- Thats more of an IG thing so you should ask In Game. I am fairly certain if you ask about it IG you'll get an answer.

Hope that helps and that we get to see you again soon.

Thanks,

Paul

Paul,

Thanks for the help! My Character's name was Markov; she was one of the Gypsies, wearing blue, purple and gold, if that helps. I was pretty confused about how spellbooks differed from which spells we were able to choose during logistics time. I am assuming then, that unless I have spell in my spellbook, I will be unable to use that spell until I copy or buy a new spellbook from a different player?

-Ashley

I disagree about guilds being an in game thing only. There are two major guilds that are mentioned in the rulebook. Guilds other than those may be local flavor and should be asked about in game.

The two major guilds you can find in any chapter are focused around the two schools of magic. They may have local names, or they may just be the celestial and earth guilds.

The celestial guild is where you generally want to head to have a magical item identified.

The earth guild is where you go to resurrect.

There may be more that is offered locally, so you definitely should ask in your game, but those are the two big mechanical points you should know.

Ashley,

I'm adam, i played James the Inconceivable, the mystic with the polearm screaming Justice.

you can also borrow a spellbook from another player with their consent to memorize spells from. you get spells in your spellbook that you start with up to the level that you have, i don't exactly remember how many spells you get in your book, but there are some.

and if you didn't like something about your character or wish to change it, in our chapter you can have a free rebuild of your character between the first and second time you PC.

feel free to ask me anything, even though i'm no marshal, i do have time on my hands

JUSTICE!

Ahem, sorry for that.

Ashley,

Last event we had two very large guilds/groups playing an interesting role at the event. As Fern said, feel free to ask in character- I'm sure you'd get different takes and reactions in game as opposed to you trying to figure out the groups out of game. As for guilds as a whole, anyone can make one! You essentially just need to state you're making one, I suppose... though it's not as effective if you don't have anyone else in it! There are often NPC groups, or plot-driven guilds. But, the PC-created ones often get in more mischief and cause a bit more drama.

As you're an Earth Scholar, you may want to find or try to contact someone from the Earth guild. I'm sure they'd be able to help you with spells, but of course... that's something you'd have to hear in game! Just talk to your fellow scholars next time, I'm sure they'd be delighted to help you. Or, you know, your Gypsy familia ;).

Andrew (Roven, the leather clad gentleman also yelling Justice)

Everyone,

Wow, I did not expect to have so many responses to a pretty noob question. ^^' Aweful lot of justice going around too. :lol: I will ask in game then, I suppose I have a breif experience asking a player or two about them, but I will continue to hunt around. eventually, I am bound to get somewhere, and I would guess fairly quickly at that. Thank you everyone for you're individual help - I had heard the celestial and earth guilds mentioned, but did not quite understand their role until now, unless they hold more than those Dragonfire mentioned. Again, thank you everyone; I will do my best to wrap my head around all this in game. ^^

-Ashley

Back