Half races?

Janzin

Artisan
what are the rules on playing half races?

you can't. that is... it's the "tolkien rule" of half races where, if your father was an elf and your mother was a human, you have to pick which race you will be because you can't be both.

i heard that you caould play them but you just had to pick one to have via the roles but the character can be one.

Nope. No half-races unfortunately. You can create a character with a Sarr mom and Gypsy dad that is Sarr by race but feels close to the gypsy culture. You could not however use the accent and gypsy clothing for that's what identifies someone as the gypsy race. In the same vein you could be a human with a dwarf mother but couldn't rock the long braided beard but could grow a human beard in homage to your mother. Hope that helps.

evi1r0n said:
Nope. No half-races unfortunately. You can create a character with a Sarr mom and Gypsy dad that is Sarr by race but feels close to the gypsy culture. You could not however use the accent and gypsy clothing for that's what identifies someone as the gypsy race.
If you were a Sarr wearing gaudy clothes and talked funny, I'd still see you as a sarr, albeit a funny one. The only races I can see as a problem for this are human and barbarian, considering they have no exactly defined traits.

Rulebook p.38 said:
There is no such thing as a true “half” race. If your character history has your father as an elf and your mother as a gypsy, that is fine, but you can only take the attributes of one of those races. In-game you can tell everyone you’re “half elf/half gypsy” but out-of-game, you are one race or the other. You must then take all the advantages, disadvantages and physical characteristics of that single race and none of the unique characteristics of the other. It should always be very clear to everyone exactly what race you are.

The rules are pretty explicit. As long as everyone can tell exactly what race you are, you could even be a quarter of each type of "Elf"; but you may only pick ONE race's characteristics to display.

Per the rulebook you can only take on the characteristics of one race. Gaudy clothes and accent are the only characteristics they have. I get what you are saying a Sarr is a cat person, add the attire and accent, still a cat person. But that still detracts the only defining outward traits of gypsys. Before folks chime in I know there is more to every race than just the superficial but that's what we are talking about. :D

i just want to know if i could play a half race i mean i know i can only get the benefts of one race but i dont see why I cant play a half one as long my domanite features are like the race im taking the traits of.

Alliance Rulebook said:
There is no such thing as a true “half” race.
If your character history has your father as an
elf and your mother as a gypsy, that is fine, but
you can only take the attributes of one of those
races. In-game you can tell everyone you’re
“half elf/half gypsy” but out-of-game, you are
one race or the other. You must then take all
the advantages, disadvantages and physical
characteristics of that single race and none of
the unique characteristics of the other. It should
always be very clear to everyone exactly what
race you are.

Janzin said:
i just want to know if i could play a half race i mean i know i can only get the benefts of one race but i dont see why I cant play a half one as long my domanite features are like the race im taking the traits of.

If you costume as, act as, and only have the disadvantages and advantages of one race, you can say you're half whatever race you want as far as the rules are concerned. You just can't say that it was a violent conception.

kk thank you

Sarah's got it right.

You still only pick one race out of the standards in the DB. In the Alliance world kids from hybrid parents don't blend the two - you come out as fully one or the other. So in your history you can say your mom was this and dad was something else. But you yourself can only be one thing in skills, physical appearance, mannerisms and costuming.

So if you're half wolf-kin, no extra bits of fuzz or tooth caps; no semi-pointed ears for half elves, etc.

but i could do like an off green for a half orc right i mean i will be fully green just a slightly different color then most orcs?

Janzin said:
but i could do like an off green for a half orc right i mean i will be fully green just a slightly different color then most orcs?

Orcs just have to be green. There's no stipulation on shade of green, just distinctly green. I'd avoid the more yellow side of green for obvious reasons, but I don't see why you couldn't be this green rather than this green.

Inaryn said:
Janzin said:

Orcs just have to be green. There's no stipulation on shade of green, just distinctly green. I'd avoid the more yellow side of green for obvious reasons, but I don't see why you couldn't be this green rather than this green.

Guess it ain't easy being green

SkollWolfrun said:
Inaryn said:
Janzin said:

Guess it ain't easy being green

It's easy being green. It's harder getting the green OFF sometimes. :)

But seriously, "race" is a dominant thing in the Alliance universe. Regardless of parenting, you are one of those races when you pop out of Mom, and it "breeds" true. An elf with a human in the lineage isn't going to marry another elf and suddenly end up with a human baby.

yeah I just have a few half race ideas running through my head and i just wanted to check the logistics of everything before i played one.

Inaryn said:
Janzin said:

True. If you saw all of the orcs at National we were all different shades of green. Part of it just depends on the brand of makeup you use. Ben Nye green won't be exactly the same as Mehron green.

Just to further the point though, while there is no distinction on the shade of green, you must be thoroughly green. That is to say, you can't do just a thin coat of makeup with most of your normal skin tone showing through because you're half human or half elf or whatever.

For example, I'm going to call out Justin Coggin on his awesome makeup and costuming. His character Tetsu (who I'm fairly certain you have seen at some point in-game) has a father who's an orc and a mother who's an elf. But there is NO mistaking whatsoever that Tetsu is an orc.

Back