High Magic: Elemental & Magic Augmentation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr_Chill

Fighter
With the high magic ability to cast a spell using "magic", e.g., Magic <Dispel> or Elemental <Dispel>, please note the questions I have below. Thanks!!!

-Ryan

1) If I am silenced, can I use my High Magic ability to Magic <Dispel> to remove my silence?

2) If I am silenced, can I use my High Magic ability to Elemental <Dispel> to remove my silence?

3) If I decide to throw a Magic <Dispel>, will it bypass all "dumb" defensives and dispel the target, or will it pop a spellsheild/reflect magic? Can it be cloaked/baned? Can the target use the ability to "resist magic" the spell?

4) If I decide to throw an Elemental <Dispel>, will it bypass all "dumb" defensives and dispel the target, or will it pop a spellsheild/reflect magic/elemental shield? Can it be cloaked/baned? Can the target use the ability to "resist magic" the spell? Can the target use the ability to "resist element" the spell?

5) If I am prisoned, can I use my High Magic ability to Magic <Dispel> to remove the prison?

6) If I am prisoned, can I use my High Magic ability to Elemental <Dispel> to remove the prison?

No to all but 1.

For 1, Yes. You can use Magic or Arcane abilities while Silenced.

For 2, 4, and 6, No: Elemental Dispel doesn't exist (in High Magic, though it's a valid ability for a creature to have, in which case, see 1, 3, and 5, below) you can only Elemental Augment Evocation spells.

For 3, No. "Magic" isn't effectively different than casting the spell, so it doesn't bypass defenses. Anything that would stop the spell stops the Magic Augmented version, including Spell Shield, Cloak, Bane, Resist, etc.

For 5, No. You've still got to be able to move your mouth.

~Matt,
SEA/OR Marshal

Upvote 0
1. Yes, as long as you are able to think and use High Magic abilities (so practically any time you are conscious, self-aware, and not Prisoned).
2. Elemental Dispel cannot exist via High Magic. Only Evocation can be Elementally Augmented.
3. It is still by Magic Delivery, and therefore is blockable by dumb defensives like Spell Shield, Reflect Magic, Spell Guard, etc. It can be Cloaked/Baned with a Cloak Protection/Enhancement, and it can be resisted with Resist Magic.
4. See #2 above.
5. No, considering you cannot use High Magic or Game Abilities whilst inside a Prison.
6. See #2 above.

I see that our answer for #1 differs, Matt. Can you explain your reasoning?

~ Alexander
SoMN Rules Marshal

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back