hot foam latex vs cold foam latex vs slush cast latex

what is really the difference between the 3 of these?
i know they are made of different materials, i mean is there one that is of better quality then the others?

from NorthFurFX.com:
What is the difference between 'Hot Foam', 'Cold Foam', 'Slush/Slip' cast latex?
Slush or slip cast latex is liquid latex that is poured into our moulds and through a build-up of layers create the prosthetics or masks. The result is a hollow latex shell. In the case of prosthetics, they have thin edges, while masks will have thicker edges. These hollow shells are glued to your face only around the edges. They are best suited for use for background characters, or anyone with few lines. They are tough and durable, lasting a dozen or more applications and usually don’t need a remover since they can be peeled off like band-aids. They are flexible and will move with the mouth and some expressions, but they aren’t as flexible or as expressive as hot foam latex. Since they are hollow, if they’re improperly applied, they can muffle the voice and make it sound nasal due to echoing.

Hot foam latex is a foam latex that is whipped up, poured into our moulds, assembled with a face core and then placed in an oven to bake for a few hours. The result is a soft filled foam piece. They have thin edges and can be glued down completely to your face since it comes into more contact with more surface area than just the edges. These are best suited for main characters or for anyone with a lot of signing and lines. Since they are filled, there will be no problems with echoing. Foam latex is extremely flexible and expressive and will give the liveliest performance. However, foam latex is more fragile and can tear, so it requires a remover to remove the pieces. They have a lifespan of about 10-12 applications.

Cold foam latex is an expanding polyurethane foam (A-B Foam) that is sandwiched between slush cast latex layers. The result is a filled foam piece with thick edges. This type of material is best suited for mask making, props and anything that needs to be static as it’s the least flexible of all materials we use. It’s the best basis for making costume heads that are furred since it can be flexible, yet solid enough to hold its shape. It’s also durable with the slush/slip cast latex skin, masks made with cold foam could last for 5 years or more. It’s not suitable for being glued on like a prosthetic.

I don't have experience with it yet, but I am ordering a cold foam wolf muzzle from them.

From my personal experience...

Slush/slip cast is generally good for a couple of hours. However, it doesn't breathe well. This is especially a problem around the nose. You'll have condensation build-up that will eventually want to come out somewhere. The best way to apply it is to use spirit gum for putting it on the face, then stipple liquid latex around the edges to blend the seam. You'll need to clean the appliance of both adhesives after each use. This prosthetic is stuff like Woochie ears and cat noses.

Hot foam moves with the face better and has a lighter feel to it. You still run into it not breathing well. It's also a little more fragile around the edges. The best way to apply it is the special adhesive that generally comes with it. You spread this adhesive onto the appliance and let it soak in. It creates a reusable layer of sticky. This is the Lyonshel mask you see a lot of sarr using (and is on the cover of the book.)

I do not have experience with cold foam. It sounds like it's something that would be better for a recurring npc.

This is just from my experience with prosthetics, which I admittedly spend too much time poking around at:

If you are looking for a long term investment, get cold foam latex -- hands down, period. They are more expensive, but last a long time with the same feel and look of hot foam latex. The only time I would suggest hot foam latex if it's for a character that you only plan on playing every so often or if you have previous experience and can handle the application/unapplication (not a word, but whatever!) delicately.

Slush cast/slip cast is made in a similar style to your standard elf ears. If this is a facial prosthetic you're purchasing, I suggesting avoiding it; they don't breathe well and, depending on how you attach them, can get damaged pretty easily over time.

What Northfur puts down is pretty much how it is. If it's a long term investment you're looking for, get cold foam latex.

However, note from the last line of cold foam. "It’s not suitable for being glued on like a prosthetic." In that case it depends on what you're wanting. For a horn or similar, slush cast will work best. For anything in a highly mobile place (eye brows, cheeks, muzzles, what have you), hot foam is going to provide the most movement and, in that, stay glued on easiest. Though I'd say for best results something that wraps around will work absolutely best. Spirit Gum and LarPAX, if you can still find it, do break down with sweat.

I have found that the foam latex can be a little more delicate than the slush cast. Usually not an issue while wearing them but taking them on and off and keeping them well maintained in between usages is necessary else they can degrade quickly or be easily (as compared to slush cast) torn.

I suggest the slush cast ones for your general NPC mobs because they can be easily taken on and off (using simply an elastic band) and can easily be cleaned since they're just rubber.

I will admit that for someone who does so much work in this stuff, I've never actually worn a foam latex mask for more than an hour attached to my face so I can't speak to their long term wear but I do know that the condensation in slush cast masks can create a whole separate climate within it. :)

Oh I'll attest to that. My biggest problem with foam latex is I can't find an adhesive to keep it on my face for long. But yeah the slush cast ones are pretty much a wearable sauna if you're talking a full mask (and that was a Minnesotan Halloween I learned that, it weren't exactly warm out).

Back