How do wars work in the Alliance world?

A sheet with eyeholes?

The funny hat is absolutely mandatory.

Now there is an interesting Quandry.

Orthagg, Barbarous Seaman of the North, is involved in a naval battle far from home in the lands of the Carnviorous Seal Men of Xogg. During a battle he is thrown over the side by one of the Seal Men and messily devoured by Sharks. His spirit, sensing that were he to ressurect anywhere within Xogg he would be devoured by the xenophobic Seal Men, begins the long walk back to the nearest friendly earth circle he knows of, way back in his home in the North. It takes his spirit two decades to walk the distance across the bottom of the sea, and when he is finally resurrected he finds the world to be very different from the one he remembers.

Or

Tigor the Magnificent has conceived of an incredible magical experiment that would reveal secrets of magic as yet undreamed of. Unfortunately, the spells and rituals necessary for the experiment, once cast, would take hundreds of years to complete there effect. Tigor is of a relatively short lived race, and would not be able to witness the fruits of his experiment. So he casts the spells, wanders off into the woods to be eaten by a Troll, and refuses resurrection for the seven hundred years it will take for the experiment to bear fruit.

Or

Narthax the Unbearable, Necromancer and Attorney at Law, knows that he and his minions will soon be overrun by the Forces of Light. Narthax retreats to the deepest pits beneath his castle and, with hundreds of his most trusted soldiers, commits suicide. The Forces of Light eventually break through Narthaxes undead hordes, but are unable to find the Dread Necromancer. Decades pass without incident. Then, the last living member of the Forces of Light hears terrible news. The Banner of Narthax has been raised again, the canny Necromancer having waited out the time as a spirit, until his mortal enemies would succumb to age.

do you think you would age in spirit form? I mean if you dont resurrect for 500 years when you do are you 500 years older or the same age you were when you died?

Also FrankManic I absolutely love your character anecdotes.

Frank,

I think you just gave more than a couple plot people some ideas for storylines.

I'm still curious though it some other phys rep than the actual player could be in the circle. I wasn't kidding. I remember times when people would hack off a thumb of a dead PC because his spirit was in it and then transport just the thumb to have spells cast.

markusdark said:
Just curious, is there another physrep other than the player?
Not that I'm aware of, which means this:
You can only resurrect at once as many people as you have invested in the circle or can fit in the circle whichever is fewer.
should be this:
You can only resurrect at once as many people as can fit in the circle.
In a 6' radius circle, that'd mean roughly 18 people or so. Maybe more if you stacked 'em.
I'm always a fan of the 12' radius circle. That'd get you about 75 people. Go with an 18', and you're popping out 176 resurrections every ten minutes.

I'd suggest that if you are going to war, having a bigger circle is key.

markusdark said:
I'm still curious though it some other phys rep than the actual player could be in the circle. I wasn't kidding. I remember times when people would hack off a thumb of a dead PC because his spirit was in it and then transport just the thumb to have spells cast.
I suppose a Spirit could be something smaller, but for things like Life spells, you need the whole body. See page 90.

Oh, hey, this still is a lie:
It is impossible to burn or otherwise completely destroy the body before the five-minute Life spell requirement is used up.
Oblit and some backlashes are "poof, go rezz"

Jevedor said:
do you think you would age in spirit form? I mean if you dont resurrect for 500 years when you do are you 500 years older or the same age you were when you died?

Tell ya what, man. Since the game happens in real time, if you're hard core enough to die and not play that character for 500 years, when you come back in as him I'd say he hasn't aged a day. I think that's fair ;).

I'm trying to understand how my character would think of death, war, and ressurection, rather than thinking up things for my character to actually do in game. But, hey, maybe I'll be playing a wizard some day who does come up with some spell that will give him phenomenal cosmic power... in three thousand years. Nothing wrong with saying "Yeah, my wizard is going to voluntarily die, or go into hibernation or something, in order to have a shot at pulling this off." And then you go make up a new character.

Frank, ¡i lurve the way you think! really, you're right, "our" thoughts on death would be drastically different from a universe where it takes up to seven mortal incidents to be knocking on even a 50% perm-rate. mortal-encounters, dueling, death-filled pleasure weekends would be common if everyone had two "free" deaths before their spirit even had the slim chance to permanently shatter. however, most campaigns don't incorporate this level of bravdo in regards to death

though there's no rule for it, i usually think of adventurers being a rare breed of spirit. most "commoners" don't have the resiliency of Spirit to survive more than one or two touches with death while adventurer's can tango with Grim many times before they meet the Earth. farmers, and the like, are in dire threat of dissolution if they fall off a ladder or get trampled by horses; similarly, grunts and common soldiers are unlikely to survive the battle as maybe one in ten (twenty, one hundred, whatever) are the lucky adventurers with strong spirits. this keeps game culture in line with our cultural thoughts on death while still incorporating adventurer's sometimes blaise approach to killing. in theory, no adventurer would really know (until they caught a few cases of sword-gullet) whether they're spirited enough to be an adventurer. adds an interesting dynamic to the game

'course, like i said, there are no rules to cover this. far as i know, everyone born on Fortannis has the same chance to rez as any others. amusing side-note, this would also mean infant mortality rates would be next to nothing ;)

And you still don't really have an explanation for buying back deaths with goblin stamps... "re-strengthening my spirit from the powers of the mists..." lol

On a side note, I really couldn't think of any IG way to explain that when trying to explain the Controlled Spirit Store ritual IG... First time I've been really stumped like that. >.< Sorry Dave!

And please don't just take this opportunity, people out there who don't like CSS, to just say that one more time... It would be the same trouble with explaining Regen...

Both of which are cool rituals with different flavor that add variety to the game, and provide a manner by which to make your character borderline immortal. Though that's not to say those rituals can't expire or simple max out... But still sort a cool.

Maxondaerth said:
Jevedor said:

Tell ya what, man. Since the game happens in real time, if you're hard core enough to die and not play that character for 500 years, when you come back in as him I'd say he hasn't aged a day. I think that's fair ;).

I wish i was that hardcore :lol:

So am i to assume the spirit ages at the same rate as the body?

FrankManic said:
I'm trying to understand how my character would think of death, war, and ressurection...

I know back in the day when there might be a 'suicide mission' where someone had to get object A to point B and usually would do it simply by running behind enemy lines with no thought of survival, the people who volunteered were ones that had one or no deaths on their card. They knew that they'd come back. I've also more or less spit in the face of extremely powerful entities that I hated with the full knowledge that even with an Oblit, I had a good 90% chance of resurrecting.

My current character had an ailment of his leg that no healing magic would fix - so he tried killing himself and rezzing to see if that might restore it (it didn't).

In addition, the whole 'hold a knife to her throat and threaten to kill her' thing just doesn't work in this game. If someone is holding a hostage, I'll go in guns a'blazing and even if she gets killed, she'll still come back to the circle.

Needless to say, committing suicide is usually a 7-10 step process. ;)

in spirit form I thought you could choose to permanently die? thus it should still only be a one step process. Or is this choice purely OOG.

Since no one so far has gone thru your great examples:

If the nearest place that Orthaggs spirit felt safe resurrecting in (in the case not one under the control of the ravenous sealmen of Xogg) was 20 years walking speed (swimming speed?) away, then yes, he would rezz there.

Tigor is tricky. First, he should have just gotten a race change to something with a longer life span. Silly orcs. However (and here is where its fuzzy) I dont think the spirit (who isnt per say the PC making a conscious decision, but is still able to 'feel' where it is safe to reform) would just wait around for 700 years.

Narthax is double interesting. As 'The Bad Guy' its possible that the only circle he knows to be safe is his own. Which by some amazing coincidence is buried under the remains of his gothic fortress. Someone (descendant of, or a former henchman of Narthax who as invested in that circle) uncovers it 50 years later and starts rezing Narthax and his army. Smart *** necromancer.

This leads to an interesting point. I am a globally wanted man. I should be killed on sight by everyone. While running away from the law I trip and am eaten by a grue. Where do I resurrect?

another country, one of the numerous outlaw circles around (all those bandits gotta rez somewher right?)

In one game I played in a guy went to rez and decided to rez in another chapter. He NPCed the rest of the event and res'd back in his home chapter. If you actually managed to be a wanted man in that many chapters i recomend laying low in seedy cantina but don't harrass the creepy old man or his apprentice you could lose a limb :)

Back