How to Convince People I Am Not Crazy...

Having done both? I'll stick with R-P-S. At least that could resolve a test in a couple quick seconds, rather than entailing consulting of character sheets for modifiers to the pull and doing algebra to figure out who won.

Hitting people with foam is still the most efficient. An hour of WW combat rounds takes us 10 seconds to accomplish. :D

Von Raven said:
What I find odd is that I've met d&d table top gamers who think LARPing is goofy. Which seems strange to me that, of all people, they'd be the most likely to be open to it, since LARPs are basically an extension of the table top game.

There are a couple of reasons for this. First off is that they, themselves are doing that is socially mocked. Playing D&D is still considered a dork thing to do. And, as most people, they need to show that they aren't the worst there is out there. "You think we are bad? You should see those geeks who dress up and do this for real!"

Second, there are more table top gamers than there are LARPers so within the gaming community, they are more of the majority and therefore set what is acceptable and what isn't within the gaming community. Since they are the majority, they of course are normal while others outside of it aren't. WoW has over 10 million subscribers (even if over half of them are in Asia) so that also makes it more acceptable than LARPing.

Third, most gamers exposure to LARPing is at conventions where boffer combat is just not allowed. I watched something that personified this when two LARPers held a fencing demonstration - without any sort of weapons or even moving as if they were fencing. Just "A sword appears in my hand and [[R-P-S]] I get the first touch".

In 1998 Wired magazine published the top 10 most geeky hobbies in existence. There was also another list that was released around the same time by another group but I cannot find it. The most geeky hobby on Wired was LARPing, the other was Furries. So, it was decided that the ultimate, uber geek is anyone who plays in a LARP as an anthropomorphic creature (aka Sarr and wyldkin).

Heh. Reminds me of this chart:

geekchartbig.gif

I am confused I cant tell where I go on the chart!!!!

geekchartbig.jpg

I marked all that apply in light blue.... and wost the geekyist things I consider part of my self are the lowest on the list so suposivly the least geeky according to everyone elis....

Back