Huge High Ogre tusks

MaxIrons

Knight
Marshal
I'm looking to make High Ogre tusks that will come up all the way to either side of my nostrils for my new PC. To do this, I'm not sure which route I should go, a latex chin mask, friendly plastic, or folks keep mentioning a guy in CA that does awesome clip on prosthetic teeth. The biggest limiting factor is cost as I do not have a lot of money to throw at the problem. The only other factors are the usual ones for tusks: Eating, drinking, and speaking. With tusks that big I'm sure those things would be compounded, but those three are not deal breakers for me except possibly the speaking bit. I do still need to be able to make calls intelligible.

So... for really large tusks: Pros, cons, thoughts, ideas?

Thanks for your help.

Taking your tusks out for eating and drinking is something I don't think you should looked at sideways for. In terms of speaking, if you make them out of friendly plastic (which is a fairly inexpensive option for experimenting) and make sure there isn't a ton of excess around your teeth/gums/lips it will minimize interference.

On the east coast there is "tusk talk" which plays up the limitations of speaking with tusks in (for example, use "am" instead of "is," since "s" is a tough sound).

I'm in the process of ordering the lower jaw of this prosthetic for my Ogre for the upcoming Oregon event. It doesn't go in your mouth at all, and is designed to be worn by an actor in a musical so you can speak/sing clearly. The company is in Canada, though, but if you decide that you're interested in it in the next day or two, we could go in on shipping together.

obcidian_bandit said:
I'm in the process of ordering the lower jaw of this prosthetic for my Ogre for the upcoming Oregon event. It doesn't go in your mouth at all, and is designed to be worn by an actor in a musical so you can speak/sing clearly. The company is in Canada, though, but if you decide that you're interested in it in the next day or two, we could go in on shipping together.

I've seen that prosthetic before, and it would definitely do well for a starter, but do you think it could be "built up" to have the larger tusks I'm looking for?

I don't know, I sent them a pretty detailed email a couple hours ago about it, but it was before I saw your post about bigger teeth. Keep in mind that the teeth are already difficult to deal with, going bigger may not be functional.

I'm pretty sure you'll be heavily limited for eating with any kind of mouth piece. That said, I highly recommend friendly plastic. You're almost gauranteed to get a decent fit and the look you're hoping for.

The tusks I wear for my high orc are friendly plastic and I had an audience last year at a Crossroads event while I ate corn on the cob with them in.

I'm going to toss this out there if no one else is. Be really careful about long tusks or tusks that jut out too far from your face. One headshot can mean a chipped or lost tooth. Many high orc and high ogre player warned me about this at one point or another when I was first starting out. I've been lucky enough to avoid that experience thus far.

How "heavy" is friendly plastic? If I had tusks that came up to alongside my nose would my jaw get tired in a day/event/extended event? I'm really keen on the friendly plastic idea because I can add some bone white paint to it, then soak them for a while in tea to get the color I'm looking for.

Your jaw will get tired regardless of the weight of your tusks, but friendly plastic is extremely light. My tusks extend to just above my nostril level, and the only discomfort comes from essentially holding something in your mouth for hours at a time. I get around it by simply lifting the tusk mouthpiece off my teeth and letting it sit in my mouth when I'm not speaking or directly interacting with people.

Sweet. Thank you all! Now to just find some of that stuff to buy.

Awesome! I hope to one day look as cool in game. :)

thanks,

ill just quick tell you how i made them.

first melt the friendly plastic and as it starts to cool roll it on a clean surface like play dough with your palms down to make a long wormy looking thing, but remember to taper off the ends to nice points and try to keep it symmetrical on both sides , before it completely cools wrap it around cylindrical object to give them a curve, after it cools use a utility knife to cut in in half and you'll have 2 nice tusks.

i set the plastic in my mouth over my teeth like making a complete mold of the front 6 teeth. this way they "snap" on and off. and bite down on the mold before it cools so you know your top teeth will rest comfortably on the finished product.
i suggest you practice doing the mouth piece several times before you attempt attaching the tusks, remelt until you feel like you know what is going to work best.
i attached them in the place where my lips meet so they wouldn't hold my mouth open at all . if you push a finger through your closed mouth and play with the angle you can sort of figure out where they would go,

while you make the portion that goes in your mouth also remelt the base of the tusks and hold them in place. you have to be quick with this part try having the mouth piece and the tusks melted at the same time.

I have switched from a set of friendly plastic tusks, to a small set of resin horns that are then glued to the corners of my mouth. They give the full appearance of tusks but do not interfere with my teeth, speech, eating or drinking.

I'll be producing masks that meet the desired specs in the near future. Nothin in the mouth, just illusion. Will post when the experiments are done. They will be neoprene, so latex-free to avoid allergy issues and have better longevity.

Back